Brewer Fanatic

Packers roster analysis, post draft moves/needs?

OnTheBlack
I don’t think the Ted Thompson news came as a shock to many people. Given the circumstances, I hope fans choose to weigh his early tenure more heavily than his later years. He built a Super Bowl winning roster from scratch and, for that, I will always be grateful.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think people are upset with Thompson outside of his reluctance to fill roster holes with veterans (not referring to signing big-name free agents, as he did a few of those, but bringing in guys to be backups and trading late round picks to patch holes created by injuries). It's more about how much decision-making Murphy and others allowed him in his later years.

I thought about Crabtree other day. Think Packers just prefer to go with young WRs though. Crabtree offers a solid & reliable possession WR. Not explosive but great route runner & hands to pick up first downs. Another veteran leader who is reliable is never a bad thing but not a high end add. Safer than St. Brown, MVS, Moore, Kunerow and even to Allison but doesn’t offer possible ceiling of the young core.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I thought about Crabtree other day. Think Packers just prefer to go with young WRs though. Crabtree offers a solid & reliable possession WR. Not explosive but great route runner & hands to pick up first downs. Another veteran leader who is reliable is never a bad thing but not a high end add. Safer than St. Brown, MVS, Moore, Kunerow and even to Allison but doesn’t offer possible ceiling of the young core.

Remember what an absolute beast he was coming out of college. He put up ridiculous stats, going for almost 2000 yards receiving as a freshmen and over 40 TD's in two years total. I think that was one of TT's biggest issues, to go against his board, to go against his instinct and take Raji over him. At least that's certainly how it was suggested at the time. Not sure the Packers make the run they make without Raji. Or at least it's far more difficult. He was a stud for a few years.

As for Crabtree now, I could take him or leave him. I don't really see how he addresses our needs and if we were going to sign a WR'er, I think we'd have been better of just bringing Cobb back at the price he signed for.

Really you bring in Crabtree to play slot. He is exactly what LaFluer is looking for in the slot. Big (6’1 215), very intelligent & skilled route runner, doesn’t need to be burner (4.6 type speed), reliable hands. They are banking on Allison to be that guy from article I read yesterday along with Adams getting time in slot as well. Crabtree would be solid backup option

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Really you bring in Crabtree to play slot. He is exactly what LaFluer is looking for in the slot. Big (6’1 215), very intelligent & skilled route runner, doesn’t need to be burner (4.6 type speed), reliable hands. They are banking on Allison to be that guy from article I read yesterday along with Adams getting time in slot as well. Crabtree would be solid backup option

I'm not a fan, and I don't know what article you're referencing, but if they prefer a sure handed, slower-but more reliable slot receiver, he could certainly fit the bill.

I just like the group they have. I don't really see the need for any moves at that spot.

Again, the two places I would like to see additions made, MLB'er(Daron Lee, a very talented, but thus far under performing 1st rounder was traded for a conditional 6th round pick) and CB.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah, I'm not on board with Crabtree either. I don't see how he really brings anything more than we already have there (except experience). Adams is clearly better. Allison put up half of Crabtree's stats in 4 games. MVS as a rookie nearly matched Crabtree's numbers. St James and Kumerow are bigger questions, but have much more upside. And if we haven't brought anyone in by now, I doubt we will unless there is an injury.

Plus, didn't Crabtree have some personality "issues" on his way out of the 49ers?

Zippo. He's another terrible early round pick. He was on the bubble for even making the team next year. Anything better than a conditional 7th rounder would surprise me. A 6th would be a win.

I still think his floor is an unconditional 7th or a swap of late round picks. To your point, I’d gladly take a 6th and be done with him. The sooner they can move on from the late TT years, the better.

Zippo. He's another terrible early round pick. He was on the bubble for even making the team next year. Anything better than a conditional 7th rounder would surprise me. A 6th would be a win.

There's always value for big physical guys with speed like him. He can help out in sub packages and he could become a ST's ace. Plus he's cheap.

He's just fallen way short of our expectations and hasn't been the playmaker we hoped he'd be. He can still play the run and play TE's pretty effectively. He's a terrible starting safety though.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There's always value for big physical guys with speed like him. He can help out in sub packages and he could become a ST's ace. Plus he's cheap.

He's just fallen way short of our expectations and hasn't been the playmaker we hoped he'd be. He can still play the run and play TE's pretty effectively. He's a terrible starting safety though.

He is a pretty terrible starting safety. But if they employ him in the role they initially intended, as a fast coverage ILB, there may be something there. He certainly looks the part, but I'm just not sure he's got the toughness and tackling ability to handle it. I think we'll find out, though, as barring injury, there is no way he's going to be close to a starting job in the defensive backfield.

He is a pretty terrible starting safety. But if they employ him in the role they initially intended, as a fast coverage ILB, there may be something there. He certainly looks the part, but I'm just not sure he's got the toughness and tackling ability to handle it. I think we'll find out, though, as barring injury, there is no way he's going to be close to a starting job in the defensive backfield.

I don't think his toughness has ever been an issue. He's a physical player and a hard hitter. He's just lost in coverage and they've never really been able to use him in that Deonne Buchannan type role or Mark Barron type role.

Just put him out there, make his job really simple and you've got a really nice role player.

I definitely don't think keeping him or trading him to move on from TT's last years makes any sense. If we were to do that, then what do we do with Kenny Clark.

With Wilkerson still out there, I'd look into trading Mike Daniels. If you can get a 4th for him and then sign Wilkerson for 4 million or so, that's probably a smart move. Lane Taylor is another guy we could move on from at this point.

But I think we'd first need someone to step up and claim the 3rd safety role before trading Jones and then we'd have to balance what a future pick that's probably not going to be of any value(especially if it's a conditional pick) and Jones is salary is worth vs what he has shown he can do on ST's and what we're speculating he could do in a reduced role.

I hadn't seen that he'd asked to be traded or released when I replied.

He's kidding himself. He couldn't learn the Packers defense, but he thinks he's going to fit in with another team and learn their defense at this point?

And who the heck is he to demand or even request anything? But now with him asking out, you were right, he's got absolutely no value. I still think he could be a good special teams player or serve a role in sub packages, but he can't start as we've seen and if he's asking out, what team is gonna give up anything to pick him up?

Maybe just due to his size and athletic ability we'll get a late round pick for him, but agree with you, a conditional 7th is what I'd expect and that condition very well may not be met because he's going to be out of position so much. The Redskins badly need a safety again this off-season after both Haha and Swearinger left. Maybe they'll toss another pick our way.

If I were the Packers I just wouldn't trade him. No point. He's under contract for two years on a rookie deal. He's got no value, so just keep him on the chance he shows up and offers something salvageable out of 2nd round talent. They win if he shows up and plays ST. Or he shows up and they find a role for him in spot duty on defense or playing near the LOS. I don't see any gain by trading unless he shows up and just whines the whole time.

Gute:

"Josh, this is the NFL. Everyone not named ARod competes for their job every year. I understand you're not happy. But we are not going to trade you. Sorry to be blunt, just being honest, but you have no trade value. We're also not going to cut you. So you can hold out. After two years, you will be lucky to be invited to a camp somewhere. If you're really lucky you will get a contract at league minimum. Oh, and you still definitely won't be a starter. Or, you can think it through and realize it's in your best short and long term interest to come back right away, get/stay in the best shape of your life and play the best football you can. That's the only way you get any kind of decent contract in 2 years. Choice is yours."

It's crazy that borderline NFL player Josh Jones is publicly asking for a trade. Perception and reality are not strong with him apparently.

He probably thinks he's wasting his career and not being used properly with the Packers. He is a extremely talented athlete. So I can understand his frustration. But if you're not in place to make plays, that's why you need to spend 40 million dollars and trade up in the 1st round to acquire two starting safety's after using a 2nd round pick on one.

It's crazy that borderline NFL player Josh Jones is publicly asking for a trade. Perception and reality are not strong with him apparently.

He made no public demands to be traded. It was reported by anonymous sources.

He made no public demands to be traded. It was reported by anonymous sources.

This is true, but he's holding out. So if he was a good player, it's effectively public since people would notice it right away. Because it was Jones, people didn't really care and it took a month to find out he was skipping OTA's and the off-season program.

He's not "holding out" - it's OTA's, they're voluntary.

Good point...but they're not really voluntary.

Especially for a under-performing 2nd round pick who has struggled because he has been out of position when given a shot.

As he says, "No hold MY beer" to Thon Maker.

Savage and Amos are a monumental upgrade. If Jones doesn't move to LILB he won't play. He probably needs to move to LILB because he's not good enough in coverage for the current NFL game at SS.

The defense actually looks good now, even if I'm not enthralled with Gary. It'd be bordering on elite if it wasn't for fact that our interior LBs are terrible.

As he says, "No hold MY beer" to Thon Maker.

Savage and Amos are a monumental upgrade. If Jones doesn't move to LILB he won't play. He probably needs to move to LILB because he's not good enough in coverage for the current NFL game at SS.

The defense actually looks good now, even if I'm not enthralled with Gary. It'd be bordering on elite if it wasn't for fact that our interior LBs are terrible.

I don't think Jones was ever expected to play or start in the base at MLB'er.

We need more depth at LB'er and Owen Burks is totally unproven, but he flashed a bit last year.

Blake Martinez is a very solid, well above average inside backer.

Blake Martinez is a very solid, well above average inside backer.

Not sure i would go that high on him. Maybe a tick above average but is really terrible at getting off blocks.

Good speed but once someone gets his hands on him it's game over.

Archived