Brewer Fanatic

Packers roster analysis, post draft moves/needs?

OnTheBlack

In what has been the most active post-season I can ever recall the Packers having, what moves or positions do you see the Packers addressing?

First, here's a link to the UDFA's the Packers have signed;

https://packerstalk.com/2019/04/28/2019-packers-undrafted-free-agents/

Some really interesting and talented names on here. A 6'5 260 pounder from Baylor who is extremely athletic as the article talks about. 1.68 10 second split(That's elite acceleration, important for an edge guy). Also a LB'er from Oklahoma who has really good speed,

I'd really like to see the RB Devonte Williams make the team..just because it'd be nice to have a Jones and 3 Williams at RB. I don't want to make things too hard on Solomon Wilcots who thinks a "howzerwitz" is a strong throwing arm.

Anyway, given who the Packers have brought in to replenish their front office, I'm guessing we'll continue to give UDFA's a legit shot at making the team. Probably not like we did during the TT era...at least not for now given that we actually signed those players....it's been so long, they're guys that are good, but they no longer are contractually obligated to play for another team....oh, Free Agents. Sorry, it's been a long time since that's been a part of a Packer off-season. So we'll likely have a couple of them step up.

Offense

QB-Rodgers, Kizer, Boyle and two of the top UDFA's.

Seems like a starter, your backup and 2 camp arms with one having a chance to earn a practice squad spot.

RB-Jones, WilliamsX2, Danny Vitale at FB.

Not sure how much LaFleur uses the FB, not sure if they'll look for another RB, but you can usually find "a guy" to fill in somewhere.

WR'er-Adams, Allison, MVS, St. Brown, Kumerow, Moore, Trevor Davis

I don't like Moore, I'd have liked to see a slot picked up, but it wasn't in the cards. I think this group is good enough, especially if a couple 2nd year guys take that 2nd step. St. Brown was the type of guy who could have gone back to ND and if he had another big year like he'd had with Kizer, probably have been the 1st or 2nd round pick people thought he was after a year at ND. Overall, I don't really see any need to add anyone here. One guy who I'd MAYBE think about on a cheap deal would be Tavon Austin ONLY if LeFleur thinks that he could help the team out and he likes the idea of being able to use him as a return man and on those quick WR'er screens and quick hitters where he can pick up some YAC yards. But that's assuming he's cut and a luxury.

Edit-I honestly did not realize Trevor Davis was still on this team. He's basically what you'd hoped Austin would be but taller. A talented return man, a speedster...maybe he'll finally have an impact.

TE-Graham, Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger

Gotta think we're set here baring injury..and perhaps even if someone goes down. Sternberger is compared to Kelce, Tonyan was one of my favorite projects in camp last year for the Packers. I think he's got the potential to be a threat down the field. Graham is not what he once was, but he's still a good TE and a big target, Lewis

The one caveat I'd throw in here, the Vikings are going to be over the cap and one obvious candidate to cut is Rudolph. If he were cut and could be had for ~4 million, I'd jump on that. I think he's a really underrated TE.

Tackles-Bahktari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Turner

We have two elite tackles when healthy. We're better prepared in case one goes down. As long as we get through camp healthy, we're not likely going to look to sign any who may be cut.

Guard-Taylor, Turner, Jenkins, McCray, Patrick, Madison

For the first time since Mike Sherman was running things, we've invested more than mid round draft picks into the middle of our OL. I didn't love taking a C 44th, but if the guy ends up being a stud, we could have an outstanding OL this year.

I could easily see Lane Taylor cut. He signed a 3 year, 16.5 million dollar extension with just 5 million guaranteed. We're not tied to him, and if you see enough out of Madison, Turner and Jenkins, that'd be a good place to save money.

Center-Linsley

Yes, I know there are other options here like Lucas Patrick and obviously the 2nd rounder who played Center in college, but after playing a couple THOUSAND snaps in a row, you get the enormous honor of me listing just your name on a message board you likely care little about.

Offensive summary, there's a chance for someone to make the squad at RB, it'd have been nice to add a slot WR'er, but short of a cheap player who fits the scheme we want to run falling into our lap(and Minnesota isn't trading a pro-bowl TE to us) I would say our offense is pretty much set. The improvement from last year will have to come primarily from guys making that jump, and then the obvious big storyline of the off-season, the new regime in charge. Rodgers also needs to be much better at not missing guys, but I don't think he suddenly fell off a cliff last year in that regard, he's been amazing his entire career, I expect to see that Arod next year.

Defense

DL-Clark, Lowry, Daniels, Lancaster, Adams, Keke

This is a deep and talented group. Kenny Clark is going to break out in a big way this year in my opinion and could reach all pro status now that we have added a LOT of big, talented athletes along that front. Mike Daniels has been a tone setter for us, but fell off a bit last year. Lowry is a really solid starter, nothing special, but solid. Adams flashed in the Jets game last year, but that's a 3rd round pick who basically redshirted a year, then finally showed up a little bit in the final game. He has a lot of talent, he needs to translate that onto the field and quick. Lancaster is a nice stout run defender. Keke is a extremely versatile player, and this is always a place where you could see someone else added. Pretty sure Wilkerson is not coming back, though if he remains unsigned and could be had for ~2.5 million and another 1.5 in incentives...maybe. He was an All Pro not long ago. But as of now, I like this group.

OLB'er-Za'Darius Smith, Preston Smith, Rashan Gary, Kyler Fackrell, Reggie Gilbert

It's pretty obvious where Gute looked at and wanted to upgrade this team. We added 3 guys who are much bigger than the OLB'ers we've had. Z-Smith is 6'5 272, Preston Smith is 6'5 265, Gary is 6'4 277, and Gary and P-Smith both have 34 inch arms...all three can move inside on passing downs. I am really excited about what they did with this group and I think how well the Packers evaluated THIS position will determine if Aaron Rodgers ends up contending for a couple more Lombardi trophies or if they are stuck in the perpetual cycle of mediocrity they've been in. The past few years.

But an uber talented former phenom in Gary(21), and the two Smith signees(26) are younger, they've got better health histories than Clay and ESPECIALLY Perry who was a really good run defender, good pass rusher, but seldom a reliable defender.

ILB'er-Martinez, Burks, Crawford, Summers

Summers has great speed. He'll get a chance to prove himself on ST's. Martinez has quitely turned into a very good Middle Backer. Oren Burks, currently listed as a starter is a converted safety who is very athletic, but was injured much of last year. One of our priority UDFA's is a LB'er out of Oklahoma in Curtis Bolton who could be play here and or rush the passer.

Josh Jones probably needs to full embrace this role or he's very likely on his way out of GB. If not this year, then in the near future.

CB-Alexander, King, Tramon Williams, Jamerson, Hollman???????

This is THEE position that's still completely up in the air for me. Do the Packers have a 2nd CB? There are guys like Raven Greene who I didn't even bother listing. But they have Kevin King who we've seen show flashes of brilliance at times....however those times are very-very brief. Jaire Alexander looks like a stud, a guy who could be a lockdown CB in the very near future.

Safety-Amos, Savage, Jones

This will be a great opportunity for someone to make the team. Amos signing the perfect signing, especially in hindsight after looking at the type of safety we were able to get in the 1st round. So a marquee FA signing, a 1st rounder, and a big, athletic 2nd rounder from 2 years ago who has done very little to establish himself as of yet.

Not gonna bother with the ST's. Crosby is back, we drafted a good-young punter in the 5th round last year.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two players rumored to be potentially available are Chris Harris Jr and Janoris Jenkins. The former because he wants an extension...which is problematic and Janoris Jenkins. Both are quick, elite man coverage corners who can play the ball. Both are owed ~10 million for the upcoming year however.

Then there are guys who may be cut because they haven't panned out like Ken Crowley from the Saints or Artie Burns, the long, press corner from the Steelers. I think Burns would be very similar to the Eric Rowe signing the Pats made a few years ago. Give the guy a fresh start, try to add a few more cheap pieces and hope you can fill out your secondary.

This was the only reason I was not a fan of the Jenkins pick at #44, the need for another press corner.

Obviously adding all the pass rushers we added can go a long way, and adding a really smart, versatile safety in Amos is enormous. But you still are a team that plays press man coverage and even before camp starts, you have just 3 guys you know are capable, one of them is 36, one has played in just 15 games thus far in his NFL career.

Other than that though, I'm extremely excited about this roster. Patching up the CB position.

-Ronald Darby is still available as a FA and was in line for a big payday, but tore his ACL last November. So he'd be an outstanding addition on a one year deal, though I'd imagine he'd still be expensive.

-Darqueze Dennard is also still available, though I'm not sure how well he fits our system.

Community Moderator

This is THEE position that's still completely up in the air for me. Do the Packers have a 2nd CB? There are guys like Raven Greene who I didn't even bother listing. But they have Kevin King who we've seen show flashes of brilliance at times....however those times are very-very brief. Jaire Alexander looks like a stud, a guy who could be a lockdown CB in the very near future.

This will be a great opportunity for someone to make the team. Amos signing the perfect signing, especially in hindsight after looking at the type of safety we were able to get in the 1st round. So a marquee FA signing, a 1st rounder, and a big, athletic 2nd rounder from 2 years ago who has done very little to establish himself as of yet.

Worth noting that Joshua Jackson isn't listed here, and he'll certainly factor into the depth chart at one position or the other (or both). I'd imagine he'd be the favorite at nickel corner at this point.

QB - Looks about the same, Rodgers with very little behind him. But that's really sort of the way the NFL works now. How many teams actually have a decent backup QB? I'd say probably less than 1/3rd of them. Hopefully Rodgers bounces back. I think his accuracy has really fallen off the last two years.

RB - Jones health is a real key here. Vitale is not a blocking fullback, but from what I've seen it seems like LaFleur is more of a one back, two tight end zone blocking run offense. Fullback was a worthless position in McCarthy's offense and the same may hold true for LaFleur.

WR - Not a surprise as NFL GMs will stick with their guys through thick and thin and IMO, that's what ends up costing most of these guys there jobs. Adams is good, Allison is serviceable, but really all the depth lies in the three picks from the 2018 draft. One has to have serious doubts about Moore after last year's no-show. The other two showed solid promise.

TE - I have some concerns about Sternberger because he was a one-year wonder and I always have suspicions about those guys. But he got it done in a big-time conference (where they actually play defense). There really isn't anyone else in this group to be the least bit excited about. I wouldn't have minded if the Packers had used two draft picks in this area, or had picked Sternberger and gone out and signed another free agent tight end.

OL - I don't like the way offensive tackle is shaping up because Bulaga's health and I just think Spriggs is a bad player. The more I've looked into Turner's background/reviews, the more he seems like a mediocre "placeholder" lineman. I really like Jenkins as a player, but I think one has to question how he fits in. 2015 - 2 starts at LT and 1 start at RT. 2016 - 3 starts at LT and 2 starts at LG. 2017 - 13 starts at center. 2018 - 13 starts at center. Some will say he's a versatile lineman that can play all over the line, but others will say he has played all over the line but is obviously a best fit at center considering how his college career unfolded. Overall I see this as a shaky group. The four regular starters really had the look of an old group last year.

DL - I like the Clark/Lancaster duo at NG and, for whatever reason, see a good pair with upside in Lowry/Kingsley. Maybe a bit optimistic with Lowry/Kingsley but we'll find out soon enough. Daniels/Adams is a bit worry-some. Daniels has been a great, great, great player but is up there in age and is coming off injury. Adams is frustrating because he looked like a complete world-beater on some players last year but is invisible much of the time he is out there.

OLB - We'll find out a lot about Gutekunst with what happens with this group. Big, big, big investments were made here and, when considering that, this group needs to perform well right out of the gate.

ILB - Yuck. I actually really like Ty Summers, but overall this looks like a really mediocre group on paper.

CB - Alexander seems like a keeper. Lots of questions with the rest of the group. Josh Jackson needs to take that next step.

S - Hopefully Savage and step in and be a starter from day one. Depth here is awful after Amos and Savage.

Worth noting that Joshua Jackson isn't listed here, and he'll certainly factor into the depth chart at one position or the other (or both). I'd imagine he'd be the favorite at nickel corner at this point.

You mean the 2nd round pick from just a year ago? Yeah, he should probably be considered an option!

I'd imagine he'd be the 3rd starter as well. I usually think of the Nickel and the Slot as synonymous, but he'd probably play outside along with King with Jaire playing inside..depending on matchup's.

I think he's gonna take a nice step in year two. Iowa guys are like UW guys. They generally just seem to keep getting better and outplay their measurables.

Demsond King has turned into a very nice corner for the Chargers and IIRC, he was talked about as a late 1st, 2nd round pick who went much later in the draft(round 5 maybe?)

So now we have Jaire, Jackson, King and Tramon. Gotta hope we see something outta the 6th round pick...he has all the tools, but I'd still feel better if Breeland was back or if we picked up a vet. Heck, even House would be alright. I agree the pass rush is gonna make their jobs much easier, as is having vastly improved safety play.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Silverstein had a thing in the Journal about potentially trading Daniels. I tend to agree with him. I think he's in decline. Better to trade a year early than a year too late....and he's in the last year of his deal.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Silverstein had a thing in the Journal about potentially trading Daniels. I tend to agree with him. I think he's in decline. Better to trade a year early than a year too late....and he's in the last year of his deal.

I have always thought Daniels was a little overrated but unless someone offered a 2nd round pick or something I would keep him, at least until you know where you are at the trade deadline. Can't have too many quality DL's, especially the way this team gets injured every year.

J’Mon Moore is a pretty big boom guy on this roster. Tools are there in big way but like the worry coming out was ability to focus on finishing catches & drops. Rodgers pretty much wrote him off early for that reason. Couldn’t trust going his way. It’s not that he can’t catch either, he simply tries to move up field before he has it.

In secondary I feel we will see a lot of Williams at FS, Amos SS with Savage in slot to start season. Think Hope should be:

FS Savage......Williams

SS Amos........ Jones

CB Alexander...Williams

CB King.......... Jackson/Brown

Slot Jackson.... Alexander/Savage with Tramon covering their spot

Jackson is a tweener like Hyde. Ballhawk but too slow to run with guys on outside. If Dom was still here I’m sure Jackson would have been used in very similar way. Pettine liked Alexander & the fast explosive type guys in there. He was used more like what we saw with Hayward’s use.... towards end of year though he played more outside with King hurt & Williams at FS. I could see Savage playing down there because he fits that explosive mold. That was his best & most played position in college. My hope though is he focuses on FS.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'd be very disappointed if Savage ends up being a nickel safety. The back end has been a significant problem for the Packers for awhile now, and when the Packers moved up aggressively, one would hope it would be to fix that problem rather than just add another body to the nickel back mix.

I'm ok hanging on to Daniels. He will be in a contract year and playing hard. But if someone comes in with a 2nd (which I doubt), I wouldn't pass it up.

I'm personally a big fan of Tony Brown at CB. He started like a bonehead, but really came on strong the last half of the year. Excellent speed and good instincts. I'm comfortable with Jackson, Brown, and Williams behind King/Alexander. I could see Brown starting in another year.

FYI, Greene is a safety and wasn't half bad there either. Better than Jones.

I'm ok hanging on to Daniels. He will be in a contract year and playing hard. But if someone comes in with a 2nd (which I doubt), I wouldn't pass it up.

I'm personally a big fan of Tony Brown at CB. He started like a bonehead, but really came on strong the last half of the year. Excellent speed and good instincts. I'm comfortable with Jackson, Brown, and Williams behind King/Alexander. I could see Brown starting in another year.

I also love Brown! Can’t believe he was undrafted out of Alabama considering the athlete he is. Think after that first game where he was flagged two or three times, he really turned it around!

I don’t think Savage will be a Nickel for long if he is at all. More so if he isn’t 100% ready to start day 1 at free, he needs to get on field some way. I just think With Amos, Jones, & Tramon, there is a lot of flexibility. Amos can play FS & SS, Tramon FS/CB, and Jones SS/MLB. Savage FS/Nickel.

Jackson just makes most sense for nickel safety. Maybe despite speed, he can still excel outside but just see him as a Hyde. King is strictly outside. Both Alexander & Brown can play outside or slot. Very quick & best in man to man coverage. Alexander is just good anywhere. Kid is a star in the making

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

A lot can change in training camp, but I would guess the "ideal" would be Savage at FS in the base D. But then they will be comparing Nickle and Dime slot CBs for coverage too. It wouldn't be surprising to see Jackson at FS while Williams and Savage cover the slot. Nor would it surprise me to see Williams/Brown in the slot and keeping Savage at FS. It will just come down to the best skillsets combos.

I probably left a few guys off the list. This was an obvious mistake, others like Murphy at tackle for example(I honestly don't even recall if he's still with the team, but I did think about him) is a result of their limited chances to make or impact the team.

But thanks for catching that. Jackson is actually a pretty exciting prospect. Only concern there is the 40 time....

That's definitely not a bad idea. I actually think he could still be a really good player and the only evidence he's in decline is one year where he was banged up, but Kenny Clark is likely gonna be one of the highest paid DT's in the game in a year or two from now. So this would be a good idea.

Cons-

-He's still a good player, he is supposedly a positive locker room guy who brings a tough guy mentality(I only say supposedly because there was a comment about him in the Packers hit piece about him and his talk about physicality being hypocritical).

-He had a down year last year, so the value is likely not very high.

-We haven't seen Keke do anything yet, Adams has been up and down, so this would hurt your depth.

Pros-

-Cap savings of probably 8-9 million. He signed for ~4/42 with 12 SB. Assuming it was constructed normally, that'd put his cap figure at 10.5 million and dead money just 3 million. So one of the higher paid players on the team with very little bonus money left.

-Draft pick

-As you said, better a year too early than a year too late.

-DL is one position we actually have some depth at.

I'd rather they hold onto Daniels, but if for example the choice is to dump Daniels in order to free up cap space for a potential acquisition of a player the caliber of Chris Harris Jr or even a player like Kyle Rudolph would be an upgrade. Plus, we have no idea who else will be available in the post-draft free agency period. It's very possible someone else becomes available that fits in with the Packers offense.

I have always thought Daniels was a little overrated but unless someone offered a 2nd round pick or something I would keep him, at least until you know where you are at the trade deadline. Can't have too many quality DL's, especially the way this team gets injured every year.

I don't think there are many players on this team that would yield a 2nd round pick. Almost certainly not Daniels. If I remember correctly, Marcus Peters who was owed just 1.8 million, plus a 5th year offer was traded, along with a 6th round pick for a 2nd and a 4th. That's a 25 year 2X All Pro CB with 22 career picks who has two years of team control at a very affordable price vs a 29 year old DL who's set to make over 10 million.

There are character concerns, namely Peters was not a great locker room guy, but still, I think it's unlikely we could get more than a 4th for Daniels coming off a down year.

I'm actually excited to see how he could play with Kenny Clark and some really good OLB'ers. Be's been our best interior pass rusher and has faced double teams pretty often, so I think he could have a big bounce back. I also think Wilkerson is worth bringing back and equally likely to be a productive DL and we could make that swap, add a mid round pick and save 4-5 million in the process.

J’Mon Moore is a pretty big boom guy on this roster. Tools are there in big way but like the worry coming out was ability to focus on finishing catches & drops. Rodgers pretty much wrote him off early for that reason. Couldn’t trust going his way. It’s not that he can’t catch either, he simply tries to move up field before he has it.

In secondary I feel we will see a lot of Williams at FS, Amos SS with Savage in slot to start season. Think Hope should be:

FS Savage......Williams

SS Amos........ Jones

CB Alexander...Williams

CB King.......... Jackson/Brown

Slot Jackson.... Alexander/Savage with Tramon covering their spot

Jackson is a tweener like Hyde. Ballhawk but too slow to run with guys on outside. If Dom was still here I’m sure Jackson would have been used in very similar way. Pettine liked Alexander & the fast explosive type guys in there. He was used more like what we saw with Hayward’s use.... towards end of year though he played more outside with King hurt & Williams at FS. I could see Savage playing down there because he fits that explosive mold. That was his best & most played position in college. My hope though is he focuses on FS.

I'll admit I'm probably a little too bullish on Moore being a bust. I don't see quite what others see. To me he's a body catcher. Almost all of our best WR'ers the last 15 years have struggled early with drops(the latest being Adams in his 2nd year).

As far as Savage, the MAIN selling point with him was his 4.36 speed and his ability to play CF. His ability to cover a ton of ground. Playing him in the slot seems like a waste. That said, his scouting report suggests he can do so effectively, plus he's a very good run defender. But I'd still rather have Tramon Williams in the slot and have him playing FS.

As for Jackson, he'll always struggle to cover a Ty Hilton type WR'er. He could be used against bigger, more physical guys like Julio for example. Similar to how we used LaDarius Gunter. Jackson's more athletic than him, but he has ball skills and his only real issue is his speed.

I also love Brown! Can’t believe he was undrafted out of Alabama considering the athlete he is. Think after that first game where he was flagged two or three times, he really turned it around!

I don’t think Savage will be a Nickel for long if he is at all. More so if he isn’t 100% ready to start day 1 at free, he needs to get on field some way. I just think With Amos, Jones, & Tramon, there is a lot of flexibility. Amos can play FS & SS, Tramon FS/CB, and Jones SS/MLB. Savage FS/Nickel.

Jackson just makes most sense for nickel safety. Maybe despite speed, he can still excel outside but just see him as a Hyde. King is strictly outside. Both Alexander & Brown can play outside or slot. Very quick & best in man to man coverage. Alexander is just good anywhere. Kid is a star in the making

Pettine's defense is supposed to not really have a FS and SS. He apparently likes his safeties to be pretty interchangeable, so hopefully the worst case is Amos is used more in the traditional FS role early on until Savage gets more comfortable. SS would be the easier position to learn as you don't have the pre-snap reads and you have fewer responsibility. But we NEED Savage to impact this defense immediately one way or another. We can't afford too much of a grace period. You may be right that he needs to play the nickel early on, but I would think having a smart vet like Amos in the secondary would help him as would focusing on just one role. If this was 3 years ago, he'd probably have been drafted to play CB.

Alexander absolutely looks like a future star after one year. Passing on Davenport and moving back in the 1st last year proved to be a very good decision. And he stayed healthy all year. King is equally talented and if he is FINALLY healthy, we'll be just fine at CB. But there's the old cliche about the most important ability being availability. My concern with King is he's just so thin and he plays the run so physically, he won't hold up. I always used to wonder how in the hell Charles Woodson could stay on the field the way he played the game. Of course the only reason we got him was that he didn't in the few years prior to signing with the Packers when everyone thought he was washed up. Now he's likely to be the next Packer in the HOF, having played his prime years in GB.

So maybe King can get his career back on track. It's sure be a boost to be able to line up with King/Jaire/ and then whoever else earns that job early on or whoever they may acquire.

I'd still like to see them pick up a Corner if one is available, though players like Marcus Peter's seldom go on the market and when they do, it's for a reason, though again, he's acted like a clown with his own staff in KC...seems to be a theme with Dorsey picks. He doesn't seem to put the same priority on character and takes players others don't have on their board. That comes back to bite you when you're all skill player breaks his kids arm(allegedly).

-Clearly I missed a couple players on my original list, specifically at CB. All told though, this has to be one of the more talented rosters the Packers have fielded in a while now, albeit with quite a few young players who need to make big jumps in their second year in the league and or their second year in this defensive system.

QB - Looks about the same, Rodgers with very little behind him. But that's really sort of the way the NFL works now. How many teams actually have a decent backup QB? I'd say probably less than 1/3rd of them. Hopefully Rodgers bounces back. I think his accuracy has really fallen off the last two yearsb

I think it's really just been the one year Rodgers hasn't played well. He was hurt two years ago. Last year seemed like the only year he was missing guys with relative consistency on either deep crossing routes, or just go routes. Overthrowing guys by 4-5 yards. That's not like him and I don't think it'll continue.

RB - Jones health is a real key here. Vitale is not a blocking fullback, but from what I've seen it seems like LaFleur is more of a one back, two tight end zone blocking run offense. Fullback was a worthless position in McCarthy's offense and the same may hold true for LaFleur.

I think LeFleuer actually likes that "superback" type that Vitale played at NU. He's not a great blocker, but he's an effective one. More finnese than power, but that's fine in the outside ZBS he likes to run. He doesn't run a lot of isolation plays, so he won't have to blow up Anthony Barr or Roquan Smith in the hole. More like get out in front of them and get in the way. But they also like using a guy who can catch the ball and run with it a little bit. Alec Ingold would have been really nice in that role, but he signed elsewhere. I agree, Jones is the key. I think he breaks out for a 1300 yards from scrimmage type yeare and I think one of the Williams provides a nice change of pace, likely the guy who's already proven he can, Jamal.

WR - Not a surprise as NFL GMs will stick with their guys through thick and thin and IMO, that's what ends up costing most of these guys there jobs. Adams is good, Allison is serviceable, but really all the depth lies in the three picks from the 2018 draft. One has to have serious doubts about Moore after last year's no-show. The other two showed solid promise.

I just....STRONGLY disagree with you. On the list of positions that cost GM's their jobs, I'd say WR'er is probably one of the lower ones. QB, OL, Outside Pass rush, secondary....definitely not WR'ers though. And I think Gute wanted to get another WR'er, but he didn't have the right one on the board. Keep in mine, we've got St. Brown, a guy who looked like a potential 1st round pick as a redshirt Frosh at ND, then Kizer inexplicably leaves early, St. Brown struggles but still comes out. He's a 6'5 guy with great speed who can work underneath. MVS showed he can ball out already and is probably even more athletic than St. Brown. I have doubts about Moore like some others, but he was a 4th rounder just last year. And then you have Allison back, Kumerow who might contribute, Trevor Davis who MIGHT end up being a perfect fit for this offesne and may finally get some run, and then of course a true legit #1 who's emerged to become one of the top 5-10 WR'ers in the NFL. A slot guy would have been great and maybe we still add one or one emerges, but we have a lot of talent here.

TE - I have some concerns about Sternberger because he was a one-year wonder and I always have suspicions about those guys. But he got it done in a big-time conference (where they actually play defense). There really isn't anyone else in this group to be the least bit excited about. I wouldn't have minded if the Packers had used two draft picks in this area, or had picked Sternberger and gone out and signed another free agent tight end.

I'm kinda with you on Sternberger. The word on him is that he would have gone much higher in a normal draft year as has been mentioned, but when you really look at it, most guys only have one big year before declaring. Especially if they have a high grade.

After that, Im totally with the OP on Tonyan. Probably a lot higher. A 6'5, 240 LB TE who ran a 4.5-something 40 with great hands? I think this guy could be the Finley type we've been looking for. Or at least the heir apparent to Jimmy Graham. He's actually more like a WR'er, but his blocking is supposed to be coming along. He's my darkhorse on this team to make a real impact. We DID see flash last year. That TD catch he had..the 54 yarder in which he beat Mcdougal from Seattle in man coverage down the seam was beautiful. It was one play, but it showed what he's capable of. He was a QB 4 years ago, a WR for 3 and now just a TE for 2, but at Indy State, he made some incredible catches. He catches with his hands, he's got a great catch radius, a great vertical for a TE at 38 inches. He's got WR'er athletic abilty and catching ability and YAC ability, but he's added 30 pounds to be a more effective inline blocker. He's never going to be Mercedes Lewis, but I think he's got a real chance to be that TE who can work at all three levels, and be a matchup nightmare for teams.

So you have the declining but still reliable vet in Jimmy Graham, you have the young stud in Jace Sternberger, you have one of the best blocking TE's in the game in Lewis who can be a HUGE help if anything happens to a tackle or in the running game. That checks every box for me. I think Tonyan ends up with 30 catches, 450+ yards and 6-8 scores this year and develops into a Kelce type TE. That's my one "bold" prediction for all the young guys on this team.

OL - I don't like the way offensive tackle is shaping up because Bulaga's health and I just think Spriggs is a bad player. The more I've looked into Turner's background/reviews, the more he seems like a mediocre "placeholder" lineman. I really like Jenkins as a player, but I think one has to question how he fits in. 2015 - 2 starts at LT and 1 start at RT. 2016 - 3 starts at LT and 2 starts at LG. 2017 - 13 starts at center. 2018 - 13 starts at center. Some will say he's a versatile lineman that can play all over the line, but others will say he has played all over the line but is obviously a best fit at center considering how his college career unfolded. Overall I see this as a shaky group. The four regular starters really had the look of an old group last year.

Wait, who looked old last year? Bahktari was the best pass blocking LT in the NFL, Linsley should have been a pro-bowler IMO and has played a few thousand snaps in a row. Bulaga was coming back off a major knee injury and looked really good later in the season in pass pro. Taylor struggled compared to the prior year, but I don't agree with that point AT ALL.

I also think you're ignoring that OL play is down all across the league. I think our group, if Bulaga stays healthy is the best in the division and one of the better units in the NFL. 5.0 YPC last year, they were good in pass pro and now they added a FA who they believe enough in to spend 30 million on(though I agree, I'm not a fan) AS WELL as a Center who can play all over with 34 inch arms, they get Madison back, a guy who was expected to compete for a spot. And there's a chance Spriggs finally has a little anchor to him...though I won't hold my breath.

But I see people down on this line all the time and I think it's just unfair to compare it to past generations, just as it's unfair to compare QB stats. They have so much less time in practice to actually put the pads on because of the CBA, no position has gotten worse than the OL because of that...for every team. Thits is why you're seeing tackles who had 4-5th round grades on them going late in the 1st or 2nd. Meanwhile we have two very solid starters and in Turner we at least have a solid swing tackle...in theory. And if one goes down, like every team we're in big trouble, but we can utilize Lewis there and he acts like a 6th OL. Taylor's head may be on the chopping block depending on what Madison and Jenkins look like, but just for starters, you're looking at Lt-Bahk, LG-Taylor, C-Linsley, RG-Turner, RT Bulaga. That's an elite group if healthy. If Jenkins proves he can play right away, you could replace either Taylor or Turner in the ineup and Taylor on the roster depending on if Jenkins wins the job or Taylor loses it. But after that, you have a lot of depth.

Madison, McCray, Pankey, and Patrick all look to be competent interior linemen(I'm assuming with Madison since we haven't seen him yet, but they liked him enough last year that he had a shot to earn a starting job. They're all young. Patrick looked really good at RT at times in the pre-season and he could move out there. I would have liked to see them pick up a better swing tackle, but I think Bulaga's demise has been greatly exaggerated. 2016 he started 16 games and played at a near all-pro level, got hurt and blew out his knee playing in just 5 games the following season, but then came back and played in 14 last year, recovering in time to start the season when many thought he may end up on the PUP list and started 14 games and was again, one of the best pass blocking RT's when he was back. A year removed from that Knee injury, I think he's going to a stud again in his contract year. If he is NOT, however, if he gets injured, we're more prepared to replace him than we've been in a long time. Pankey could be a TJ Lang type player who's best suited to play inside, but can hold up for stretches at tackle, Turner is obviously the 1st choice and then let's just keep in mind, Jason Spriggs is STILL just 24 years old right now. He was young and a bit of a project coming out of college. A great athlete, but not a refined pass blocker. I'm not ready to give up on that type of talent so soon. Plus, he may be a better fit for the new offense. But that would definitely mean he improved his lower body strength and his balance/technique this year. Caught reaching and lunging last year.

Remember, Packers fans were tough on guys like Lang and Sitton and thought very little of them. I think Patrick for one could be similar, and Pankey moreso. But they're a deep, versatile group...and very few teams can match our tackle combo and almost nobody has a swing tackle who's worth a damn, so again, almost like QB, everyone's in trouble if one of them goes down. Particularly Bahktari. But I just didn't seem them looking old last year. I think Rodgers makes their jobs exponetially harder than just about any other OL in the NFL. At least when other QB's scramble, the just take off. With Rodgers, instead of having to hold your block for 2.8-3 seconds, you have to hold for 5-6 seconds often times. Just unrealistic.

Also, Jenkins COULD play tackle as he did at times in college likely only moving inside because of Little on one side and another draft choice on the other, but he has 34 IN arms. So, we've got vets, we've got guys who've been here a few years and we've got young guys. We don't have a tackle of the future yet for Bulaga, that may come next year, or from within, but he IS just 30 years old and it's entirely possible he stays healthy and we're an elite unit.

DL - I like the Clark/Lancaster duo at NG and, for whatever reason, see a good pair with upside in Lowry/Kingsley. Maybe a bit optimistic with Lowry/Kingsley but we'll find out soon enough. Daniels/Adams is a bit worry-some. Daniels has been a great, great, great player but is up there in age and is coming off injury. Adams is frustrating because he looked like a complete world-beater on some players last year but is invisible much of the time he is out there.

Clark's a proven stud, Lancaster looked like he could definitely stand up and play the run late in the year. Lowry's just been steadily getting better. Adams shows flashes but has not put it together yet. That was the risk when we drafted him. If he played like he could all the time, he was a potential 1st rounder. Keke looks like a nice pick, but I know little about him. Daniels is just 29..which is fine for a space eater, a Vince Wolfok type, but not an undersized 5 tech who you want to penetrate. He had a down year last year. I think he bounces back and then we get a comp pick for him. But I have high hopes for him now that he'll probably be the 4th or 5th main focus of the fronts we see in passing downs.

OLB - We'll find out a lot about Gutekunst with what happens with this group. Big, big, big investments were made here and, when considering that, this group needs to perform well right out of the gate.

You're absolutely right if we don't get really good production out of 100 million dollars in free agency and the 12th overall pick, this team is going to be screwed. They absolutely need this unit to step up and lead the team. They got a lot bigger, they got a lot younger and they got more athletic...and they got a lot longer. There's a reason why you can't play tackle usually with 30-inch arms...Gary and Preston Smith are both 34 IN+ and Za'Darius is longer than Perry and Matthews. So all the right measureables are there, they can move around. Just hope they're still hungry.

After the top 3, the UDFA from Baylor could make the team here, first as a ST's player, then as a rotational guy. I think Reggie Gilbert is a solid backup and while I think Kyler Fackrell is FAR-FAR from a 10.5 sack ayear type player...and more likely to be a 2-3 sack a year guy, he's maximum effort and he's improved each year. Plus we have a couple other young options here as well.

But if the top 3 don't produce, Gute's gonna have some BIG questions to answer.

ILB - Yuck. I actually really like Ty Summers, but overall this looks like a really mediocre group on paper.

Blake Martinez has developed into a REALLY good player. Oren Burks was banged up last year but should be very good vs the pass. Showed just a little last year, but enough flashes to give you hope. We added speed in Summers and Bolton and Jones should see a lot of time at LB'er. I'd look to see if the Jets would part with Daron Lee here. they've shopped the former 1st after signing Williamson and Mosley to big deals, so he's now a backup. It should take just a 6th or so to get him. But I really like Blake and have high hopes for Burks. Just absolutely zero depth here.

CB - Alexander seems like a keeper. Lots of questions with the rest of the group. Josh Jackson needs to take that next step.

This is the group I'd say "yuck" about. Kevin King must stay healthy....at least play 12-15 games. I'd like to see us add a vet here. Though Tramon is moving back to the slot,so that should help.

S - Hopefully Savage and step in and be a starter from day one. Depth here is awful after Amos and Savage.

Jones hopefully can provide some depth, but we're gonna need a couple guys to pop up like when Brice and Evans did a couple years ago just for depth. You're right, it's awful. Unless they think Jackson is safety or can play there...

Amos may be the msot impactful addition of the off-season and Savage has great speed and is a big hitter though...

A few differences of opinion....which is a given at this point in the NFL season given all the unknowns. I'm a bit more optimistic than you I think on some players.

I love Tonyan as I said....so he'll probably end up getting cut. I was a big fan of Geoff Grey last year as a project at tackle. I think he ended up latching on elsewhere but was not close to making it here. And we have a very different opinion of the OL. I think the pressures are more Rodgers problem as a whole.

But there are quite a few things that could happen between then and now(then being final 53 man). I'd guess we cut at least one player to save money, be it Daniels, Taylor....or whoever(cut or trade). And I still think we could add an impact player.

A lot can change in training camp, but I would guess the "ideal" would be Savage at FS in the base D. But then they will be comparing Nickle and Dime slot CBs for coverage too. It wouldn't be surprising to see Jackson at FS while Williams and Savage cover the slot. Nor would it surprise me to see Williams/Brown in the slot and keeping Savage at FS. It will just come down to the best skillsets combos.

I'd be surprised if we don't sign a vet like we did last year with Breeland. Brown had actually slipped my mind as well. He definitely showed flashes, he's got some swagger, and he's got elite speed.

Still, I don't want to have to count on him...or really even Tramon this year.

I wonder if there's been any consideration given to signing a guy like Morris Claiborne. He's certainly not a special player and would likely be a modest upgrade on Breeland if one at all, but he's a dependable CB who was a elite prospect coming out. He suffered injuries early after being unfairly compared to Patrick Peterson because they went to LSU together, but he's become a reliable starter, though a bit penalty prone.

He's gone on back to back 1 year deals. He's been solid, but not spectacular.

Another guy is Jamie Collins. He's got more talent than showed up in Cleveland. The Browns traded for him IN-SEASON from the Pats when the Pats were on their way to a SB. Some said it was because they weren't going to be able to re-sign him, others because he liked to freelance too much. That'd be problematic in Pettine's Defense, but if he can make plays...

Either way, we're thin at MLB'er and he is a guy who can definitely rush the passer up the middle, but who's also very solid vs the run and pass...which brings me to, Zach Brown. A LB'er for the team that plays in Washington. Combine times mean very little, but he was a 4.50 40 with a 36 in vertical when he came out, plus he plays in a system similar to Pettines(or rather he has while playing for Greg Williams). He has 3 seasons with 4 or more sacks, he is tackling machine, and he's also serviceable if not slightly above average in pass coverage.

Now is when things are gonna get a little stupid...

Then there is ERIC BERRY! Ok, stay with me, while we don't' need him, and he'll likely pick the best team in need of a safety, but you have to wonder if money is going to be a driving force. The guy already got paid a ridiculous amount for a safety, he's gone through cancer, he's missed most of the last two years, but he's still 29 and was on a HOF trajectory when he suffered unspeakably bad luck.

Obviously, this one is incredibly far fetched and probably should be in light shade of blue, but man, the reports are that he's 100 pct healthy, he's come back before(after cancer) and been an elite player. And we certainly play a big nickel with 3 safeties fairly often. Plus, there is probably not a better guy in the world to learn from while still playing for Savage(and Amos...and King, Alexander and probably LeFleur.

I mean...if he'd take a one year 5 million dollar deal, this is one of those signings you absolutely have to make, isn't it? Savage then can play nickel as well? If it doesn't work out, oh well? His character is unimpeachable and I'd have to imagine he'd have a Charles Woodson-esque impact in the locker room. And while I can't see him having that impact on the field, he could definitely prove to still be an above average safety now that the injuries that plagued his last two seasons, the Achilles tear and then the subsequent bone spurs as a result of said injury are all cleaned up, he's ready to go!

And if you thought THAT was unlikely, let me set the entire Packers fan base on fire with three simple letters. SUH.

Again, bear with me....

I'd bring Suh in for a meeting. Try to gauge what he's looking for. If he's willing to come back and play for ~8-9 million, I think I'd start looking into that trade with whoever is interested regarding Mike Daniels and go with Suh. Suh played NT last year, DEFINITELY not his ideal position while with the Rams. He played a significant role in helping Aaron Donald win the DPOY award whlie they transitioned from a 4-3 to a 3-4, a much tougher position to get big sack numbers from(unless you're from Pewaukee Wisconsin and then NFL linemen are minor impediments to tackling the man with the ball). With Kenny Clark in GB, there's little need for him to play there. Still, even as a 3-4 NT whose job it was to eat up blocks, he dominated at times last year. The fact that he's not yet signed says 1-There's simply not much interest, 2-He's looking for more money, 3-Teams were waiting until after the draft to inquire, to see if they filled their holes on the DL or 4-he's in no hurry to sign and wants to wait and find the best situation possible.

I would think that'd be in GB or NE. In both places, he'd be able to play a 5 technique, he'd be asked to shoot gaps instead of eating up linemen and he'd be able to go back to the disruptive style of play that made him one of the elite interior DL in the NFL. That's not to say he would be one of the top interior DL, but I do believe on a one year deal, he's still got a lot of value. Heck, I'd even give him a Jimmy Graham type of deal if we moved on from Mike Daniels.

And while Daniels is a self-anointed tough guy(And don't get me wrong, he certainly has played like one) who has talked about bringing a measure of toughness back to this defense, I don't know if there is a better guy out there right now who could do that than Donkey Kong-Suh! Now is this getting a little unrealistic? Sure...but it's 12:30, I have but one meeting set for the entire day and little else to pass the time at work. So I'm letting it all hang out!

So my list of FA's-

1-Suh

Almost zero chance we sign him, but I'd kick the tires. I think with Clark playing over the Center, Lowry playing the 3, Suh could potentially get double-digit sacks as a 5, though 7-8 would be more likely. And I'd only do this if the financial difference was inconsequential after moving on from Daniels.

2-Eric Berry

Better chance we sign Suh, but it's not zero. Not sure how he fits in with this team, but after tearing his Achilles and then having to rehab and have another surgery for bone spurs as a result, he's finally healthy, he's one of the best leaders in the NFL, he was on track to become a HOF'er, and he's just 30 and made an All Pro team the previous 4 years prior to his achilies injury.

3-Jamie Collins-

I'd put the pct here at about 5. Higher than the first two, but he's talented, young enough and likely cheap enough.

4-Zach Brown

I'm going to get really confident and say the chances here are a whopping 10 pct. Gute has to see the hole we have at MLB'er and more importantly, he has to see how that hole becomes the Marianna Trench if anything happens to Blake Martinez. Owen Burks, a 7th round pick with speed, and then what? A safety and some UDFA's?

5-Morris Claiborne

10 pct. We need another reliable if only average low-cost option to provide depth at CB. You cant' spend 115 million dollars, use your #1 pick as well as your 5th round pick acquiring pass rushers and then watch as Kevin King gets hurt and you have to trot out a woefully unproven group of CB's.

Realistically, Claiborne or Zach Brown is the simplest and most likely signing. I'd go 2 years 9 million on either with a SB of 2.5 million and a base of 2 million this year. This way you can cut ties with them next year and you're left with just 1.25 in dead money, an easily manageable number.

Eric Berry is a fantasy like suggestion and I doubt he's even crossed Gute's mind....but I'm just throwing it out there.

Signing Suh would be the consummate "all in" move and it would give our defense quite a bit more gravitas, however, you'd need a deep rotation as Suh was just "solid" last year until the late season and playoffs rolled around.

I do think he can still dominate when he feels the need to, and perhaps his uneven performance was the result of him being slightly mis-cast as a 34 NT and playing a new position.

I know there will likely be less than zero support for this idea, but the more I write, the more I talk myself into what an impact Suh could provide for us if he played 30-35 snaps a game.

Well, one of the realistic options is off the table as Zach Brown signs a one year deal for 3 million with a 1.5 million dollar signing bonus.

A LB'er with better ability in pass coverage who can run and tackle signs for 3 million dollars. I sure hope the Packers at least kicked the tires.

Obviously, Eric Berry is not going to sign in GB, nor is Suh most likely. But right now we don't even have a Jake Ryan to back up Blake Martinez. What if he gets hurt?

I'm a big proponent of Dorsey. I feel that he should've been hired as a GM in waiting when he became available. (Murphy and co. clearly had to know of Ted's diminished mental status). I think it's a very valid point about the character risks he took on in KC. Great stuff.

I'm a big proponent of Dorsey. I feel that he should've been hired as a GM in waiting when he became available. (Murphy and co. clearly had to know of Ted's diminished mental status). I think it's a very valid point about the character risks he took on in KC. Great stuff.

I think people forget Thompson was a LB'er for 10 years in the NFL. That, being in his 60's. I don't pretend to be able to diagnose people from my perch, but at the very least, Thompson was not as involved as he had been previously. There was talk about how much less he was involved the past couple years.

Dorsey getting fired by KC was pretty shocking. How does a guy who puts together that team get fired before all the crap hits the fan?

He put together a team that was a few inches away from the SB(Dee Ford lining up off-side but not impacting the play on the negated INT). He moves up to get Pat Mahomes, the guy everyone said had a ton of talent, but was so raw it'd take a few years for him to play coming from that run and gun style offense.

And now just looking at all the talent he put together in Cleveland. Still need to see if they can win and he certainly had a helluva lot to start with in terms of assets and whatnot, but he took Mayfield 1st, a huge risk that people tend to overlook now. He was hailed by many as the next Johnny Manziel. Instead he looks like he's the best possible version.

As for the moves the Packers could/should still make, Suh's about as unrealistic as you could get, though it'd be fun. Berry isn't really a need, but again, in a fantasy world, it'd be fun.

Brown looks like a guy they just missed on. He was available and had for real cheap given how productive a player he is and how ridiculously thin we are at MLB'er. It's the easiest position to find, but it's still important.

And I still think if they can have Morris Claiborne for ~4-5 million, something that looks very realistic at this point with very little guaranteed if in the event that one of the young DB's we had that I forgot about looks good, that'd be a good move.

I saw a story yesterday that projected the Packers to sign Michael Crabtree. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I suppose having a vet WR would be a good thing, but they could really use a guy capable of playing the slot, and I'm just not sure that would be Crabtree's best fit. I am really looking forward to seeing these young receivers develop, too, and having a middling vet playing ahead of them isn't necessarily the best way to do that, in my opinion. If they wanted to sign a prodding possession WR, they should just tear up Nelson's ceremonial deal and sign him to a cheap 1-year pact.

I saw a story yesterday that projected the Packers to sign Michael Crabtree. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I suppose having a vet WR would be a good thing, but they could really use a guy capable of playing the slot, and I'm just not sure that would be Crabtree's best fit. I am really looking forward to seeing these young receivers develop, too, and having a middling vet playing ahead of them isn't necessarily the best way to do that, in my opinion. If they wanted to sign a prodding possession WR, they should just tear up Nelson's ceremonial deal and sign him to a cheap 1-year pact.

I don't really see what he adds to this team. You're right, we need a slot guy. He's not that. If we're not going to get an impactful player, why not go with the young guys? They've shown enough. It's not like other positions where you're really thin. You don't have game proven players, but you have players you know are talented. Allison looked to be on his way to a big year last year with 350 yards in the first 4+ games before getting hurt. Adams is a true #1 WR'er. MVS and St. Brown have shown they can make plays in the NFL. And who knows who's going to end up emerging from Camp. Kumerow, Davis, a couple UDFA's?

I do have to say, it sure would be nice is Micheal Clark decided he was going to follow Cole Madison back...that guy looked like he could be a really good player..and I've love to see us go 5 wide with Adams, Clark, St. Brown, MVS and Graham. Adams would be the shortest guy out there at 6'1...and by a couple of inches.

Thompson announced today that he's suffering from some illness that's affected his speech and motor skills.

I think his legacy in Green Bay has to be considered pretty secure. Wolf will always be more fondly remembered, but Thompson built some pretty damn good teams. He was just sooo obstinant when it came to free agency or any other form of player acquisition, but he had a good young core, he drafted at least one HOF'er, he signed another in free agency who played his best years in GB and he got us to a SB and on the doorstep several other times.

Archived