Brewer Fanatic

SI.com midseason awards

Well, that's cool. I hope Prince can win the end of season award too. Braun should have a pretty good shot at ROY, but if Pence stays leading the batting race he'll be tough to beat (I'm aware that Braun's average is actually higher).

Quote:
Budding superstar is the anchor of baseball's best infield

Nice to see someone feels the Brewers infield is that good. Especially considering they are all under the Brewers control for the next three years minimum.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I wonder how all the Yost bashers are gonna react to this?

Wait until the post season and if they don't win the WS claim Ned isn't a good enough post season manager to get them over the hump?

Honestly I think a lot of manager bashing in general has very little to do with the actual manager. It's the one area in baseball a fan can have an opinion that cannot be disputed by stats.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It's the one area in baseball a fan can have an opinion that cannot be disputed by stats.

In game management certainly can be. If Yost started playing Jenkins every day again, you probably wouldn't have to wait for me to post a split or two. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think that Yost does a great job with regard to the unquantifiable aspects of being a manager. He seems to have the respect to his players and seems to have the perfect personality to even out the inevitable peaks and valleys of a 162 game season.

I don't care for many of his in game management, with some exceptions (his reluctance to use intentional walks makes sits well with me). Of course, most of criticisms with regard to his in game management is really a critique on major league baseball as a whole, so it's not really fair to specifically blame him.

Of course, the media is just going to give to the manager of year award to the manager of whichever team is over performing their expected performance the most. The Brewers are doing well because guys like Hart, Hardy and Fielder are doing well and Sheets is healthy (starting pitching depth has helped a lot as well). If Ned deserves the manager of the year award this year, than he deserved it for every year he was in the league, because he's doing little or nothing different than in years' past.

Something to write about, I guess.

"Of course, the media is just going to give to the manager of year award to the manager of whichever team is over performing their expected performance the most."

Bingo. Still, nice to see good pub about Milwaukee.

Russ is right. I will also say I question his moves on letting SP and RP dangle to long out there when they obviously don't have it. See FNY.com about Soup for instance. I guess it's to show how gritty and how much of a battler a player is, but come on, even I could see pitchers lost it and I'm not even "in the know".

I guess if Jim, Dwight, and Stanley over-performed for half a year and all of their competition went lame, Michael Scott could probably win Manager of the half-Year, too.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I think that Yost does a great job with regard to the unquantifiable aspects of being a manager. He seems to have the respect to his players and seems to have the perfect personality to even out the inevitable peaks and valleys of a 162 game season.

I used to agree with this statement - and this was the main argument I would use in discussing Yost's merits. This season, however, from what I've observed and heard, Yost is tense and not exactly a calming influence during the valleys of the season. It will be interesting to see how he reacts if the Brewers should lose their grip on first place.

Much better than ESPN's mid season awards where Ordonez was picked over A-Rod because the Tigers are in contention then Holliday was picked over Fielder even though the Rockies are at .500 and the Brewers are leading their division. Nothing like consistency in logic.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Actually, I like the concept of designating LVPs, Cy Olds, Maury Wills/Bud Harrelson (worst manager), and Hawk Harrelson/Ed Wade (worst GM) awards.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Glad to see Melvin and Z on the list. They've probably deserved it for a few years. There have been several moves that have made me squirm when they happened but none that look bad in hindsight. Some look unbelievably genious.

Yost will get it by default if all goes well. That's all I have to say about thaaatt...

Archived