Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Farmhands Traded - How Are They Doing?

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Bookmark / favorite this thread so you can check in during the season.

The comments will get updated monthly or so.

UT Wendell Rijo - Traded to NYY for C Erik Kratz, doing his utility thing at AA

RHP Jon Perrin - Traded to KC for RHP Sal Biasi, on MiLB.com's suspended list (drugs of abuse)

RHP Wilber Perez - Traded with LHP Kodi Medeiros for RHP Joaquim Soria, underutilized as a reliever in Low-A, although an expected placement level

LHP Kodi Medeiros - Traded with RHP Wilber Perez for RHP Joaquim Soria, three rough AA starts

OF Brett Phillips - Traded to KC with RHP Jorge Lopez for 3B Mike Moustakas, more walks than hits at AAA

RHP Luis Ortiz - Traded to BAL with IF Jonathan Villar and INF Jean Carmona for IF Jonathan Schoop, four starts in which he's yet to go past four innings

INF Jean Carmona - Traded to BAL with IF Jonathan Villar and RHP Luis Ortiz for IF Jonathan Schoop, yet to be assigned to a full-season affiliate

OF Demi Orimoloye - Traded to TOR for OF Curtis Granderson; struggling at High-A

SS/3B Gilbert Lara - Traded to WASH with K.J. Harrison for LHP Gio Gonzalez and international slot money, hitting very well, but at Low-A, playing SS as well as 3B, still just 21 years old!

1B/DH K.J. Harrison - Traded to WASH with Gilbert Lara for LHP Gio Gonzalez and international slot money, punished Low-A for 16 games, 4-for-5 in his first game at High-A, but importantly has not played an inning at catcher

RHP Johan Dominguez - Traded to CWS for LHP Xavier Cedeno, small-sample struggles in four relief appearances

OF Bryan Connell - Traded to CWS for LHP Xavier Cedeno, yet to be assigned to a full-season affiliate

RHP Sal Biasi - Traded to SEA for C David Freitas, parallel assignment to Low-A, just arrived but two relief wins already

RHP's Jorge Lopez and Aaron Brooks, INF Jonathan Villar, C Erik Kratz, OF's Keon Broxton and Domingo Santana are all toiling at the big league level.

Santana is leading the AL in RBI and somehow is still a zero WAR player.

Villar is part of the trade the Brewers likely regret.

Jorge Lopez appears useful.

The rest of the players could likely be reacquired by the Brewers for cheap, if the team even wanted them back.

Schoop trade regretful, but not what we gave up as much as just how much Schoop hurt the team with his disinterested attitude and worse than horrible hitting.

Lara wasn’t going to be protected anyhow, same with Kodi.

Harrison could hit his way to dh i suppose. Plus Gio might have signed elsewhere if not for his experience with our team last year.

Early grade on Stearns discernment . B+

Schoop trade regretful, but not what we gave up as much as just how much Schoop hurt the team with his disinterested attitude and worse than horrible hitting.

Harrison could hit his way to dh i suppose. Plus Gio might have signed elsewhere if not for his experience with our team last year.

You really think that's what the problem was?

Yes!!!!!

From the second he found out he was traded. Devastating to go from one of the worst teams in baseball to the contending crew. Rather be comfortable with his friends on a losing team.

Yes!!!!!

From the second he found out he was traded. Devastating to go from one of the worst teams in baseball to the contending crew. Rather be comfortable with his friends on a losing team.

I'm waiting for the edit and the blue font that doesn't seem to come. I didn't see any lack of effort. I saw him struggle and then get booed and then press and then struggle more. A problem for a streaky strikeout prone power hitter to begin with. I saw nothing to indicate he didn't care.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Body language, facial expressions, his interview just after he found out he was traded. I know what I saw and what I heard. Imo Stearns saw the same thing, which could be part of the reason he took the unusual step of publicly bashing his own trade for him.

Schoop is doing fine starting for a first place team in Minnesota. He was in Baltimore organization a long time. I think he wanted to succeed with Brewers, but it was a culture shock to be sure and the Brewers were not in a position to keep putting him out there until he got comfortable.

Schoop is doing fine starting for a first place team in Minnesota. He was in Baltimore organization a long time. I think he wanted to succeed with Brewers, but it was a culture shock to be sure and the Brewers were not in a position to keep putting him out there until he got comfortable.

You did a much better job of explaining what really happened than I did.

Luis Ortiz was called up to Baltimore yesterday, didn't pitch in the game, and then was optioned back to AAA Norfolk. Through 15.1 IP in AAA he has a 5.87 ERA with 8 K and 11 BB

Assuming he did actually travel, there are worse ways to get paid for not doing much.

• 4 weeks later...

Marlins 2B prospect Isan Diaz went 2-for-5 with a homer on Sunday for Triple-A New Orleans.

Diaz, 23, has now homered in five straight games for the Baby Cakes, and he's hitting .417 over his last 10 appearances with six homers and seven walks in that time. Acquired in the deal that sent Christian Yelich to Milwaukee, Diaz has lost some of his prospect luster, but he's a second baseman who has at least average tools across the board, and the power might be plus. There's been almost no consistency since he was drafted by the Diamondbacks with the 70th pick of the 2014 draft, but the talent is obvious, and he just turned 23 on Monday. We could see him playing everyday for the Marlins this summer, and he'd be worth a speculative addition when that takes place.

May 27, 2019, 9:42 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Marlins OF prospect Monte Harrison went 1-for-4 with a walk and two stolen bases on Sunday for Triple-A New Orleans.

Harrison's two steals give him 12 on the season. He also struck out, and strikeouts continue to be a problem for the 23-year-old with 42 on the season. That being said, it's a far cry from the whopping 215 he had last year (we mean in terms of pace, obviously), and he's hitting .281/.355/.463 with five homers over 121 at-bats. Talent has never been a question for Harrison, and every tool but average has a chance to be at least above-average, if not plus. It's just a matter of making enough contact to play everyday, but if he can, he's a potential fantasy star.

May 13, 2019, 10:42 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The numbers for Luis Ortiz are not getting better in AAA. Brewers did well to get what they did...

9 games (all starts so far)

Year Tm W L ERA IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2019 Norfolk 1 5 7.26 39.2 50 36 32 8 21 1 25 1 0 2 192 1.79 11.3 1.8 4.8 5.7 1.1

The numbers for Luis Ortiz are not getting better in AAA. Brewers did well to get what they did...

9 games (all starts so far)

Year Tm W L ERA IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2019 Norfolk 1 5 7.26 39.2 50 36 32 8 21 1 25 1 0 2 192 1.79 11.3 1.8 4.8 5.7 1.1

In all the trades last year, there were only 2 who really concerned me with their inclusion. Carmona and Yamamoto. I can't expect they were high value chips and they make me concerned that they could become them.

Harrison Diaz already proved trade value but those 2 leave me worried.

Can we get a link for Yamamoto. Looking solid in AA.

Since you asked about Jordan Yamamoto:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=yamamo000jor

Tried to copy stat line over (with limited success)

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA RA9 G GS IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2019 Jacksonville 3 5 0.375 3.46 3.62 10 10 54.2 40 22 21 5 21 0 51 5 0 2 220 1.116 6.6 0.8 3.5 8.4 2.43

IMHO he is pitching rather well...

Really bummed that Monte is on the IL since i'm going to be in Nashville this weekend and was looking forward to seeing him play. Hopefully Diaz and Brinson will be in the lineup for NO at least.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Since you asked about Jordan Yamamoto:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=yamamo000jor

Tried to copy stat line over (with limited success)

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA RA9 G GS IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2019 Jacksonville 3 5 0.375 3.46 3.62 10 10 54.2 40 22 21 5 21 0 51 5 0 2 220 1.116 6.6 0.8 3.5 8.4 2.43

IMHO he is pitching rather well...

Yeah.... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Yamamoto will make his big league debut on Wednesday.

First he beats Kodi Medeiros in the 2014 Hawaii High School Baseball Playoffs & now he beats him to MLB.

Congrats to Jordan.

Shutout the Cards, backed by some great defense with Garret Cooper who had a monster night and Jordan even got a RBI. What a great debut!

Archived