Brewer Fanatic

2019 Green Bay Packers Draft Picks and Discussion

CheezWizHed
Exploded this year after dropping 20 lbs to play DE. Had played closer to 305-310 prior to this season as DT. Good depth. All reports I’ve read have his biggest knock as not being quick/explosive off the ball but is a solid player who is again versatile. Intriguing player with a cool name. Fills another hole where we needed depth.

I don't really see this as being a hole. We usually play with 2 DL. Right now we have Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Lancaster looked good late last year, Wilkerson was kinda in a holding pattern and has expressed his desire to return, presumably on a cheaper 1 year deal.

We know Za'Darius Smith kicks down inside in passing situations, obviously, Gary is capable as well. This isn't a base 3-4 defender, so I don't see this as a hole.

The biggest hole we still have is CB. You're really putting a lot of eggs in Kevin Kings basket. I'm fine with optimism, but we need real depth at CB more than anywhere.....in my opinion.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kingsley Keke certainly produced at A&M, with 7.5 sacks last year mostling playing interior DL.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/24/dallas-cowboys-kingsley-keke-scouting-report-30-visit-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-profile/

This pick is a bit of a head scratcher. We're pretty well set on the DL right now. I guess it's a given that Wilkerson isn't coming back, but sitll, we've got depth there. We don't have much at ILB and Mack Wilson was available and we have one solid starter at CB right now by my count. At least one that we can count on.

But...whatever.....we'll see. I'm just going off position at this point.

Think it depends on how high you are on our DL depth. I personally don’t like it much at all. We have two really good ones in Daniels & Clark. Lowry has been productive but then....Adams still hasn’t done much, Lancaster is more just a big body. Fabol Brown & Looney are also there. To me, I don’t feel great about group. Keke, Adams, Looney really need to offer something behind our starters.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Kingsley Keke certainly produced at A&M, with 7.5 sacks last year mostling playing interior DL.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/24/dallas-cowboys-kingsley-keke-scouting-report-30-visit-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-profile/

This pick is a bit of a head scratcher. We're pretty well set on the DL right now. I guess it's a given that Wilkerson isn't coming back, but sitll, we've got depth there. We don't have much at ILB and Mack Wilson was available and we have one solid starter at CB right now by my count. At least one that we can count on.

But...whatever.....we'll see. I'm just going off position at this point.

Think it depends on how high you are on our DL depth. I personally don’t like it much at all. We have two really good ones in Daniels & Clark. Lowry has been productive but then....Adams still hasn’t done much, Lancaster is more just a big body. Fabol Brown & Looney are also there. To me, I don’t feel great about group. Keke, Adams, Looney really need to offer something behind our starters.

I forgot about Adams. He'll probably be a really good player the year after next year. He's one of those extremely talented big men who just doesn't have the level of effort.

I think Lancaster is more than just a body, but the thing is, you listed 3 good starters and then several other guys, but we so seldom play more than 5 guys in a game. And with Gary and two biggest then normal OLB'ers, I doubt we'll have more than 5 active.

Depth is always good, especially on the DL. I just felt like we needed it more in the secondary, namely at CB.

Got an Uber athletic CB with great size (6’0 200) in Ka'dar Hollman of Toledo. Interesting story & earned his way here. Something to work with for sure.

Got an Uber athletic CB with great size (6’0 200) in Ka'dar Hollman of Toledo. Interesting story & earned his way here. Something to work with for sure.

I saw 6'1, 4.37 40, 39 inch vert.

NO clue if that means he'll be able to play, but that gives him a chance, and given how hard he fought to get a chance to play in college, it sounds like he really loves playing ball.

Dexter Williams is very interesting to me. Probably because Samkon Gado is still a legend in my eyes. Watching Dex run reminds me a lot of Gado. Similar build, vision, and shiftiness. Not a burner or elite athlete but solid. If you don’t like Gado, a less powerful CJ Anderson comes to mind as well. Build, nibble, vision wise

Dexter Williams is very interesting to me. Probably because Samkon Gado is still a legend in my eyes. Watching Dex run reminds me a lot of Gado. Similar build, vision, and shiftiness. Not a burner or elite athlete but solid. If you don’t like Gado, a less powerful CJ Anderson comes to mind as well. Build, nibble, vision wise

His closest draft comp is Jamal Williams...at least according to one site.

I'd be happy with that. Apparently, he's a little more athletic than his times. Packers led the league in YPC last year. Hopefully Rodgers audible out less or we call more running plays, whichever one you want to blame, and get Jones and Williams the ball until one inevitably goes down and then we give Dex his shot!

Anyone else watching ESPN? Dexter Williams has giant gold GB balloons behind him as he “gets the call”. Either there is another giant coincidence of GB or that was really staged.

I see people with hats and stuff, but did they really have giant balloons for every team?

Anyone else watching ESPN? Dexter Williams has giant gold GB balloons behind him as he “gets the call”. Either there is another giant coincidence of GB or that was really staged.

I see people with hats and stuff, but did they really have giant balloons for every team?

Unrelated, apparently- they were a tribute to teammate Greg Bryant, who passed away a couple of years ago.

His closest draft comp is Jamal Williams...at least according to one site.

I'd be happy with that. Apparently, he's a little more athletic than his times. Packers led the league in YPC last year. Hopefully Rodgers audible out less or we call more running plays, whichever one you want to blame, and get Jones and Williams the ball until one inevitably goes down and then we give Dex his shot!

And the Pack close out their draft with a 6'2 MLB with a 4.51 40 time. I love taking guys who have great physical tools in rounds 5-7. You're unlikely to hit, but if you take a guy with athletic ability, he's more likely to at least carve out a niche on your team and possibly be that rare late round find.

People out here making it their mission to hate the Gary pick. So far none of the complaints I have heard stand up to my scrutiny or in any way make this an F.

He has warts like most, it’s why maybe the most athletic guy in the draft went 12. I wish his agility numbers were better but he is clearly long, strong and fast. I like burly edge players.

People out here making it their mission to hate the Gary pick. So far none of the complaints I have heard stand up to my scrutiny or in any way make this an F.

He has warts like most, it’s why maybe the most athletic guy in the draft went 12. I wish his agility numbers were better but he is clearly long, strong and fast. I like burly edge players.

[sarcasm]But but but.... HE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH SACKS! He sucks, is is wasted pick, and was a reach!!![/sarcasm] Right there with you.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He was a reach at 12. That's why people don't like the pick. He's fine if you get him at 20.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He was a reach at 12. That's why people don't like the pick. He's fine if you get him at 20.

But you state that as fact when it’s pure conjecture or a semi-educated opinion at best. If Gute has him high, others very well may have too.

But you state that as fact when it’s pure conjecture or a semi-educated opinion at best. If Gute has him high, others very well may have too.

Apparently he went back & watched every snap of every game from all top 20 draft picks, conducted own interviews, talked to all former coaches, had his sources confirm no one before 20 would take him!

Funny that until late March he was seen as a lock top 10 pick. Now he is a reach at 12 a month later.... I talked many times leading up to draft about IF Gary somehow fell to us. That was the mindset not too long ago about him. Some Of these “brilliant” internet scouts & mockers start to question his sack totals without understanding his role or knowing how to watch film very well and people freak out.

Those judging players on sacks alone.... are ones that consider RBIs & ERA as most elite baseball stat for player evaluation. Fackrell had 10 & was pretty bad on just about every other play.

Gary went 12 because he is as gifted as they come, versatile, and if played at a position that allowed him to individually produce more instead of merely help win football games, he’d excel. Switch him & Winovich on that defense.... Gary probably isn’t making it past 5.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's an opinion. But it's one that's shared by many people that did watch every snap. Actually those people probably wouldn't have drafted him at all.

I don't know how many guys leave high school as the #1 recruit in the nation, go to college and every scout around says "meh" and then goes on to be an all pro in the NFL. I'm guessing it's not many. Hopefully he does.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

“Every scout around”, Homer? C’mon, be fair with your analysis. It was a mixed bag on Gary no doubt but he had plenty of fans including his coaches, the Big 10 voting committee and NFL scouts alike. He is more of a post-hype sleeper than “meh”. This also reminds me of when many were willing to give up on Clowney after 2 NFL seasons and now he is a game-wrecker.

Also, what scout had Gary on their do not draft list? I hadn’t seen that.

I get Gary was not a productive pick to some. Most everyone loved the AJ Hawk pick and were ultimately let down (Hawk was good for a while and I’ll die on that hill lol). Such is life.

Also love when fans pretend to know what other teams draft boards are. Up to last month, Gary didn’t look like he would make it past top 10. People can say dumb things like mocks had him here or there. Well mocks also had Haskins top 5, Lock maybe going to Packers at 12. DK as top 15 pick.... all those lineman like Taylor who are mocked in top 10. Mocks are simply guesses based on rumors & smoke screens put out by teams. Loved Wilkins but not enough for me to not see massive upside of Gary. If you are high on a guy and board said he fits value of that pick.... it’s not a reach. If a guy had been mocked as a top 10 pick in loaded DL/Edge class for past year (besides last month) how is it a reach or a move we could have traded down for?

Same train of thought. For fans to say Savage would have been there at 30 & we reached with trade to get him... how do you know. Gute said he heard rumblings he was going soon & he was a guy they really wanted. They spend all year studying every detail of every player. They have more sources to know what teams like what guys. Packers saw a guy who could be a Collins like FS. Turns out or busts you have to trust your scouts & board.

I agree with all this other than 'he heard rumblings' (Savage) was going soon.

There shouldn't be any 'rumblings', or a team's draft room is really failing them. You can look at other team's needs and other moves, but he didn't know. It's an educated guess.

I don't like it when a GM becomes enamored with one particular player. Trade-ups are best utilized to go steal a guy at a skill position who fell too far to pass up. (Example: The Redskins moving up 2 spots to get in front of us in 2005 to steal Rodgers over Jason Campbell). Not for grabbing one particular player that you love. It's the 2nd year in a row that Gute has given up pretty good value to move up from the back to the mid-back of the 1st to get "his" guy, and I'm not crazy about this strategy when it involves sacrificing 3rd and 4th round picks on a yearly basis.

That said, if Savage goes on to be a perennial Pro Bowl safety I'll gladly eat my words.

Heres my take and counter. #12. If Gary puts out the same kind of numbers in the NFL but creating havoc for an offense. Is that good enough to the expectation you have for #12 pick? If I compare what Matthews avg his 1st 5 years being 10sacks about 50+ TKLs and 20TFLs a year, how confident are you Gary is going to do that? If he avgs any less than 7sacks, 50Tkls, 20TFL, his first 5 years hefailed expectation to that pick. Now Gutey said the offers to trade down didnt meet what he desired. Think about that. Had he traded down we would have had more picks. Maybe we get Gary still. Or they take Savage with that pick, still have 30 and both 4th rd picks. Rather than start day 2 watching the best OTs picked we may have had one there at 30. It's a whole new draft if Gute would have just taken the best offer. Rather than hate he gave up both 4ths to move up 9 spots. Those 4ths are there +plus whatever the trade brought. By the end of day 1, the last 6 rounds he was handicapped. No longer could he use mid round draft capitol to jump up and grab a fitting player who you graded (for example] late 1st early 2nd when that player is sitting there to start the 3rd rd. And then whoop snatched 7th pick of 3rd rd. Or maybe it can be end of 3rd rd for better effect with the 2 4ths just sitting there to package 1 with your 6th rd or 7th rd to get that guy. At the end of this draft, what pick are you telling me we got great value on? Who you couldnt believe was there where we picked him?

Sorry, I think you're too focused on finding a guy at 137 that was projected at xxx, while the Packers were focused on getting the right guys in the 1st round of the draft, when it literally matters hundreds of times more, based on any draft pick value chart. The Packers have indicated that they were able to get a guy at 12 that

they had ranked much higher than that, and that gave them good value. They may have valued drafting a player worth 1700 on their board at 12 with 500 of surplus value more than the lesser points of surplus in the scenario above.

And I'm never a fan of advocating for trades that may or may not have actually existed. What if the best offer to trade back was truly terrible?

Also love when fans pretend to know what other teams draft boards are. Up to last month, Gary didn’t look like he would make it past top 10. People can say dumb things like mocks had him here or there. Well mocks also had Haskins top 5, Lock maybe going to Packers at 12. DK as top 15 pick.... all those lineman like Taylor who are mocked in top 10. Mocks are simply guesses based on rumors & smoke screens put out by teams. Loved Wilkins but not enough for me to not see massive upside of Gary. If you are high on a guy and board said he fits value of that pick.... it’s not a reach. If a guy had been mocked as a top 10 pick in loaded DL/Edge class for past year (besides last month) how is it a reach or a move we could have traded down for?

Same train of thought. For fans to say Savage would have been there at 30 & we reached with trade to get him... how do you know. Gute said he heard rumblings he was going soon & he was a guy they really wanted. They spend all year studying every detail of every player. They have more sources to know what teams like what guys. Packers saw a guy who could be a Collins like FS. Turns out or busts you have to trust your scouts & board.

I agree with all this other than 'he heard rumblings' (Savage) was going soon.

There shouldn't be any 'rumblings', or a team's draft room is really failing them. You can look at other team's needs and other moves, but he didn't know. It's an educated guess.

I don't like it when a GM becomes enamored with one particular player. Trade-ups are best utilized to go steal a guy at a skill position who fell too far to pass up. (Example: The Redskins moving up 2 spots to get in front of us in 2005 to steal Rodgers over Jason Campbell). Not for grabbing one particular player that you love. It's the 2nd year in a row that Gute has given up pretty good value to move up from the back to the mid-back of the 1st to get "his" guy, and I'm not crazy about this strategy when it involves sacrificing 3rd and 4th round picks on a yearly basis.

That said, if Savage goes on to be a perennial Pro Bowl safety I'll gladly eat my words.

He traded back last year to net us an additional 1st round pick and then traded back up to get Alexander, a clear hit at this point. Not sure that's the best example.

And I'm sure rather see the Packers target and get the guy THEY want rather than sit back and watch him get picked like Wolf did with Urlacher for example. More importantly, how is it a sign that your draft room is really failing if you move up because you hear that a guy is going to get picked ahead of where you're picking(a rumor that turns out to be confirmed)? Seems to me that's evidence that your draft room is working.

Archived