Brewer Fanatic

Will the Brewers ever again have a pitcher that wins 100 games for the franchise

pacopete4

Have a pitcher that wins 100 games for our franchise?

Jim Slaton had 117 and last pitched for the Brewers in 1983.

Mike Caldwell had 102 and last pitched for the Brewers in 184

These are the only two pitchers will 100 or more wins in our history. Full List Can be found here. The Brewers have no one active in the top 10 wins of all time. Jimmy Nelson is the closest we have and he stands at 33 wins currently as he is trying to get back to the major league level.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The biggest problem is that anyone good enough to do it will demand a mega contract that we can not afford. The best chance would be if a young guy like Peralta ends up developing into a Chacin type starter where they are solid, but not great.

I would say yes, just because never say never, but the odds have to be crazy low.

How about a 300 game winner in MLB ever again?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

These are the only two pitchers will 100 or more wins in our history. Full List Can be found here. The Brewers have no one active in the top 10 wins of all time. Jimmy Nelson is the closest we have and he stands at 33 wins currently as he is trying to get back to the major league level.

The pitcher would either need to be very good (think Ace-level) for 4-5 years, or just good enough, and young enough, to hold down a rotation spot for a decade. Outside of the obvious guys like Peralta and Burnes, who are young and have ace-level stuff, the guy that comes to mind is Zach Davies. He's only 26, and is already off to a nice start win total-wise. He's not a power pitcher, and is just good enough to hold down a mid-rotation spot for the next decade.

Forever is a mighty long time.

Exactly. That's the thing.

100 years from now Pitchers might have robotronic arms and throw 500-600 Innings a season. 100 Wins in 2 seasons might be possible. Of course the Brewers' home stadium might be on Mars, not Milwaukee...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The pitcher would either need to be very good (think Ace-level) for 4-5 years, or just good enough, and young enough, to hold down a rotation spot for a decade. Outside of the obvious guys like Peralta and Burnes, who are young and have ace-level stuff, the guy that comes to mind is Zach Davies. He's only 26, and is already off to a nice start win total-wise. He's not a power pitcher, and is just good enough to hold down a mid-rotation spot for the next decade.

Yep, Davies is the one I was thinking of as well. He could plausibly be halfway there at the end of this year and would still only be 26. He's the kind of candidate you're speaking of I think -- back end of the rotation guy who is good enough to probably hold a spot down for 10 years.

The only issue is, back end of the rotation guys aren't very hard to replace, so I doubt the Brewers would pay enough to keep him if he hits free agency. It would have to be a kind of contract where Davies gives us a team friendly long term deal early on, like right now. Furthermore he's a Scott Boras client who doesn't sign many of those types of deals.

Yah, and it wouldn’t be that hard to believe. Gallardo likely would have done it had we not traded him away. No one will do it without an extension, I don’t care how good they are. We will never be that good for 5 years straight for that to happen.

Average 20 wins per year for 5 years? Who has even done that in recent memory? You would need an incredible offense, incredible pitcher, and incredible health.

If Zach Davies wins 100 games for the Brewers, I'll buy you all season tickets.

It's not as far fetched as it might seem at first glance. He's at 35 wins now, and earliest FA for him is 2022. If the Brewers extended him 2 or 3 years beyond that, he could definitely hit 100 wins with his skillset. I wouldn't bet on the extension and health through 2025, but the idea of it isn't totally nuts.

Just imagine how good he'll be once he's an adult. Hell, he won 17 MLB games when he was 15 years old. It's incredible, really.

That's a great question.

I think they will. At some point, a 22 year old will come up and pitch lights out. And with more young players signing away their free agency years, I can see them extending a player for a long term deal.

So I think they will have such a pitcher, but I doubt that we currently know his name.

It's hard to believe Ben Sheets wasn't a 100 game winner.

Yeah, Sheets is a really good case for illustrating just how much wins are a team based stat.

Over his peak from 2002-08 he put up the 6th highest WAR (30.6) in MLB, but only won 75 of 196 starts.

The five guys ahead of & below him by comparison...

Halladay (37.0 WAR, 113 wins in 206 starts) 7.1 IP/GS

Oswalt (36.1 WAR, 114 in 221 starts) 6.7 IP/GS

Johan (34.4 WAR, 104 in 200 starts) 6.7 IP/GS

Randy (32.6 WAR, 95 wins in 195 starts) 6.6 IP/GS

CC (32.2 WAR, 100 wins in 221 starts) 6.7 IP/GS

Benny (30.6 WAR, 75 wins in 196 starts) 6.5 IP/GS

Vasquez (30.5 WAR, 86 wins in 230 starts) 6.5 IP/GS

Schilling (30.0 WAR, 80 wins in 157 starts) 6.9 IP/GS

Webb (29.8 WAR, 87 wins in 197 starts) 6.7 IP/GS

Pedro (29.6 WAR, 82 wins in 171 starts) 6.4 IP/GS

Buehrle (28.4 WAR, 102 wins in 233 starts) 6.8 IP/GS

Clemens is the first guy on the leaderboard (16th, 25.5 WAR) with fewer wins (74) than Sheets, but Roger only made 163 starts to Benny's 196.

To find a guy with a comparable number of starts & fewer wins you've got go down to Harang (25th, 20.6 WAR) with 69 wins in 188 starts.

It's hard to believe Ben Sheets wasn't a 100 game winner.

You're just too far removed from Sheets and the paper bats that came out when he pitched. I don't know how many games Sheets won, but I'd have guess he was about 60-50 or so with the Brewers. I'm surprised he won 94 games total and 86 for the Brewers.

Sheets is a pretty good example of the type of pitcher who SHOULD win 100 games with a franchise like the Brewers. If he came up now, he'd likely be a 15 game a year winner year in and year out.

So I wouldn't put money on any particular guy, but it also wouldn't surprise me if any of the young guys did it, Davies wouldn't shock me...etc..etc..

As for 300 wins, I just did a quick google search of "pitchers most likely to win 300 games."

It was almost10 years old. #5 Jair Jurrjens-He had 49 wins.

Roy Halladay was on the list. He finished up with 204 and his last big year came at age 34 when he was coming off a dominant run with the Phillies and had averaged just under 20 wins the previous 4 years.

If Justin Verlander doesn't do it, not sure who else could. Kershaw has 183 but has seen a precipitous drop off in his stuff. Still, at 31, if he can figure out how to pitch with reduced stuff, gotta say he's got an outside shot at it. It just depends if he's a guy who wants to pitch as long as he can or if he doesn't want to pitch unless he's an ace. Listening to his recent comments, it sounds like he wants to pitch for a while yet.

Verlander is still dominant, on a great team and could pretty easily be at 250 at the end of his current deal. The guy's still throwing in the upper 90's. I'd bet against him, but I also thought the Brewers were smart to not push too hard to trade for him a few years ago because it looked yet again like he had fallen off. Very few pitchers are able to bounce back like him.

Brewers don't have a rich history of pitching, but I do think they will eventually have another 100 game winner some day. Like others have stated, forever is a long time.

I think Teddy Higuera could have won 200 games for the Brewers if he had stayed healthy. He won 20 in 1986 for a team that only won 77 games. Possibly would have made the the 92 playoffs with a healthy Higuera on the roster.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

When I was in Arizona for spring training last year, I played golf at the course where Jim Slaton is a regular and lives off the 10th fairway. The guy at the desk in the pro shop seems surprised when I told him Slaton won more games than any Brewer pitcher and that I was disappointed he wasn't around that day.

Davies has a shot, but it's a long shot.

Re 300 wins. They'd have to pitch in to their 40s, but Grienke is at 191 and Scherzer surprisingly is at 160. As to the Brewers and 100wins, it'll happen. Peralta is young enough to put up enough 13+ win seasons to get there. Davies can do it as well. It's just a matter of the Brewers extending the team's control for that to happen. What has to be going for them, is that the team is good as constructed to make that happen. Now will they pitch the 5 innings needed to qualify for the wins? We shall see. Burnes would have been nice to gamble on this but he became an after-thought. Woodruff is older and not on a good start either like Burnes. It's bound to happen. You're asking the question while the team in finally looking like a winning built organization.

As to Sheets, Remember those teams? If he gave up 2 runs it was game over L for him. And that happened so often because it was Ace facing Ace.

2004 12-14 237IP 2.70 ERA as an Example. That should be a 20 win season.

Re 300 wins. They'd have to pitch in to their 40s, but Grienke is at 191 and Scherzer surprisingly is at 160. As to the Brewers and 100wins, it'll happen. Peralta is young enough to put up enough 13+ win seasons to get there. Davies can do it as well. It's just a matter of the Brewers extending the team's control for that to happen. What has to be going for them, is that the team is good as constructed to make that happen. Now will they pitch the 5 innings needed to qualify for the wins? We shall see. Burnes would have been nice to gamble on this but he became an after-thought. Woodruff is older and not on a good start either like Burnes. It's bound to happen. You're asking the question while the team in finally looking like a winning built organization.

As to Sheets, Remember those teams? If he gave up 2 runs it was game over L for him. And that happened so often because it was Ace facing Ace.

2004 12-14 237IP 2.70 ERA as an Example. That should be a 20 win season.

You can't be serious? He went from future ace in your opinion to afterthought because they sent him back down after a handful of starts? I think if he was an "afterthought," which of course it's just totally ridiculous to definitively state this early into his first full professional season and this soon after he was sent down, then they'd have probably sent him to the pen.

And if you're questioning if the pitchers are ever going to be good enough to get through 5 innings on a regular basis, then it's MUCH-MUCH more than "just a question" of the Brewers re-signing them.

Can you signal the bandwagon to start and stop? Just curious if you have to jump off and then run back on depending on what happens on a day to day basis.

Peralta should probably be working on a 3rd pitch, Burnes is still a guy I believe in a great deal, Woodruff is certainly still young enough to win 100 games for the Brewers(though frankly, I don't even really care if he does or doesn't, if he wins 10 games, but helps the team win 95, I'm fine with that).

But it seems some people were way too confident that the trio of youngsters were going to pitch 7 innings every 5th day like they did in the 2-3 inning stints last year in the post-season all year long in their first year starting at the major league level and now that-that has not happened, we're calling the most talented of them an afterthought? I mean...he's not my first thought in the morning or anything, but when it comes to future Brewers pitchers, he's atop that list.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

H&T. Dont call me bandwagon. Its called being realistic. Put the info together and figure it out. Burnes started with 7wins after last season. Jimmy Nelson is on track to joining the rotation. Brewers signed Gio Gonzalez. Brewers Bullpen has been atrocious. Burnes biggest success came in the bullpen last year. Open your eyes, put 2&2 together,. What's the Solution?

Burnes will spend time back in the bullpen. His clock is ticking and he wont be winning 10+ games this year from there. So he starts again in 2020 with 5years control left, I'll give him 5 wins and thats 88wins in 5seasons. He has to stay with the team all those seasons, 17 or more wins each season, and avoid TJ in that span. He blew his chance this season. He's at the bottom of the totem pole. Chacin, Davies, Woodruff, Peralta, Anderson, Gio, Nelson, and then him. Now does he just sit in AAA start after start not running his clock til its his turn back in the rotation? How's our bullpen again? How'd he do there last year? It's obvious where he goes sooner than later.

H&T. Dont call me bandwagon. Its called being realistic. Put the info together and figure it out. Burnes started with 7wins after last season. Jimmy Nelson is on track to joining the rotation. Brewers signed Gio Gonzalez. Brewers Bullpen has been atrocious. Burnes biggest success came in the bullpen last year. Open your eyes, put 2&2 together,. What's the Solution?

Burnes will spend time back in the bullpen. His clock is ticking and he wont be winning 10+ games this year from there. So he starts again in 2020 with 5years control left, I'll give him 5 wins and thats 88wins in 5seasons. He has to stay with the team all those seasons, 17 or more wins each season, and avoid TJ in that span. He blew his chance this season. He's at the bottom of the totem pole. Chacin, Davies, Woodruff, Peralta, Anderson, Gio, Nelson, and then him. Now does he just sit in AAA start after start not running his clock til its his turn back in the rotation? How's our bullpen again? How'd he do there last year? It's obvious where he goes sooner than later.

Too bad CC put his mouth too open last year and said that this guy is a starter.... guessing that he'd like to have those words back. I think Burnes will still be excellent as a starter for us. Yet, maybe next year is a better plan if the pen continues to struggle and Gio/Nelson can solidify the rotation.

• 2 years later...

Archived