Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 playoffs Rd 2 vs Boston Celtics

DuWayne Steurer
I don't think the Bucks are going to shoot 35% for a series nor will Boston shoot 54%. Maybe that continues. I'm sure their defense had something to do with it, but the Bucks were definitely missing a lot of makable shots. Even with the best record in the NBA they lost 1/4 of their games. Sooner or later they were going to drop a playoff stinker. Against a team this good, they don't need a lot of room to make you look really bad.

I'm not worried. I expect the Bucks to come out tomorrow and win running away, then steal one in Boston and it's back where it has to be. I might amend my Bucks in 6 to Bucks in 7, but we'll see.

No, of course not. But right now, the advantage has swung back to the BucksCeltics. Bucks have to take that back starting with game 2 and then get game 3 or 4 in the Garden and they should be fine.

One thing that was a bit concerning was that they came out in the 2nd half and hadn't made any adjustments. I get it was a close game after the big run led by Middleton and Mirotic, but Bud's gotta make some adjustments. I AM "worried," as I think each team they're likely to play the rest of the way is going to be a real tough matchup for us. But I am still confident in Giannis. I'd really like to see Bled get back to being the aggressive, explosive player he's been all year and not the timid player he looked like yesterday. He has to get more physical with Kyrie. He's not gonna stop him....nobody is. But he need to beat him up a bit more and play him a bit tighter.

Whatever though, I'm done with game one. It was a bad game, far worse than even those who had a higher opinion of Boston would have expected(save for maybe the guy who called Boston in 5). There just happens to be a particular poster that gets under my skin with his "agree with absolutely everything I say and with how I say it" type posts.

First Take asked a question, which player remaining in the playoffs is most indispensable to their team. They literally mentioned just about every star player BUT Giannis. Kyrie, a great player and a guy who can get his own shot just about any time...not even in the same stratosphere when it comes to importance to his team. Kawhi, Durant and Harden along with the aforementioned PG were the 4 names tossed around. If anything, Game 1 proved what Giannis means to the Bucks. If he's not playing or struggling for whatever reason, Boston's D of his own struggles, the Bucks are done. They're a middling team over the long haul. GSW won a title without Durant, Toronto hasn't done anything with Kawhi(who by the way, Max Kellerman claims is the closest to having the mentality that Jordan played with since Jordan...an absolutely laughable statement IMO...Giannis is far more maniacally competitive than the guy who sat out on a contending team last year because he had a sore thigh and wanted out) that they did with DeRozan...though he's obviously a level or two better.

The only argument you could make is Harden for the Rockets. I wouldn't agree, but if you're strictly talking about which player is more important to their team...how can you not even mention Giannis?

Can't wait for game 2 to start and see Giannis attack a little more, force the issue and make the refs make a call a little more and see what type of changes Bud has in store. I think at the very least it's obvious that some adjustments have to be made as they do in every competitive series.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how anyone can't be worried. Yea, there was a big spread in FG% that won't happen every game, maybe not in any remaining game. But losing home court against a team that apparently is in their heads is a problem. Can they still win it? Sure. But if you're not worried you're either just telling yourself that or not being open-minded.

Bucks in 6.. am I right?

I thought you were, but I'll say 7 now. Game 7 in Milwaukee will hopefully be Giannis' playoff coming out party. Carrying a team past a good opponent, the consensus favorite in the pre-season and get us back to the ECF.

I don't know how anyone can't be worried. Yea, there was a big spread in FG% that won't happen every game, maybe not in any remaining game. But losing home court against a team that apparently is in their heads is a problem. Can they still win it? Sure. But if you're not worried you're either just telling yourself that or not being open-minded.

I'm not worried. If they lose Game 2, yeah. I will be. Right now they just lost one of the two games I thought they'd lose initially. The order of the games doesn't matter to me. There was a 20% FG differential and the Bucks were still in it for big portions of the game. I only have one game to judge so that doesn't concern me yet.

Agreed. I'm worried about their ability to slow down Giannis with Horford and Baynes and or Morris. He'll adjust, but what the hell is Bledsoe doing? Smart's not playing, there's ZERO reason why he shouldn't be productive. It's obvious the Celts got in his head last year, but based on how he played this year, the security he now finally has as the PG of a contender with his new extension, and just his pure ability, there's no reason for him to not be attacking more and be more of an impact player.

As great as he is, Giannis needs the other guys to rise to the occasion.

I'm not worried. If they lose Game 2, yeah. I will be. Right now they just lost one of the two games I thought they'd lose initially. The order of the games doesn't matter to me. There was a 20% FG differential and the Bucks were still in it for big portions of the game. I only have one game to judge so that doesn't concern me yet.

I wish I were as confident as you and could JUST view it as a team losing one game. I think the reason for concern is how they lost. They really weren't competitive with Boston save for that run they went on in the 2nd quarter..which, beating a dead horse now, but they made some real tough shots.

Sure, the shooting pct's will almost certainly normalize, but until I see otherwise, until I see Giannis have an answer for that D, I'll be "worried." Confident...but worried.

Bledsoe or Middleton likely needs to come through with at least one 35 point game or something to take some heat off Giannis. If there's any worry for me it's that Giannis has to win this series alone which is going to be extremely difficult.

That's just not gonna happen. Not at this point in Giannis' career. He's not QUITE to the level of a younger LeBron or Durant.

I don't know if they need someone to go off for 35, they just need each guy to do their jobs. Bled needs to play more aggressive...Middleton I would say needs to just keep doing what he did yesterday and hopefully in the normal course of a game, if he's playing like he did yesterday, he gets a few more open looks in transition.

The one thing I don't want to see is him to start playing more ISO against Tatum or Brown. That's about the only thing that I don't like about his game, he can sometimes stagnate the offense for stretches doing that.

I also think the refs allowed Boston to beat Giannis up a bit too much. I doubt he'd ever say anything, but they were knocking him around pretty good, probably intentionally and with little worry about a few more fouls to make it tough on him, but they weren't calling them.

I'd think more Giannis/Bled ball screens could help. First, to give Bled some avenue to act. Second, so Giannis just isn't straight ahead driving at someone. Just overall should be more flow that way and there didn't seem to be too many of these other than one I recall late-ish that was like Giannis' only easy dunk

I pretty much expected 1-1 after the first 2 as well. The problem with this line of thinking though, is that Game 1 is already lost, Game 2 is not won. We can't assume a win in Game 2 just because we lost Game 1.

I am concerned less that they lost and more that they were thoroughly dominated. I can't really agree with your assessment that they were in it for big portions of the game. Boston dominated from the start, the Bucks made a nice run near the end of the 2nd and it was then close up until a couple minutes into the 3rd quarter and after that it remained one sided for the rest of the game.

I pretty much expected 1-1 after the first 2 as well. The problem with this line of thinking though, is that Game 1 is already lost, Game 2 is not won. We can't assume a win in Game 2 just because we lost Game 1.

I am concerned less that they lost and more that they were thoroughly dominated. I can't really agree with your assessment that they were in it for big portions of the game. Boston dominated from the start, the Bucks made a nice run near the end of the 2nd and it was then close up until a couple minutes into the 3rd quarter and after that it remained one sided for the rest of the game.

I think you nailed it. If the Bucks lost a back and forth game, Kyrie hit a big shot and the Bucks lost by 4-5, that'd be different, but they looked like they were playing the 60 win dominant team.

And that was a concern with a team as talented as Boston is. They have the talent. I believe someone said at this point in the season "you are what you are," but that's not really the case in basketball. We see teams who are able to put it together and hit another gear come playoff time.

The Bucks are more than capable of matching that, but they didn't come close in game 1 and that's more concerning than just simply being down 1-0.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Bucks were still within about 10 with 7-8 minutes left. My timeline is fuzzy, but in the NBA that can literally be erased in 2 minutes of game time. I've seen them get truly blown out before, and this wasn't quite that. If they shoot even something like 43%, that is a competitive game.

I think they'll win running away tonight. If they get dominated again I'll have my finger on the button but as of now that game was just an aberration for me. It happens. GS blew a 31 point lead with LAC. When you have to win 16 playoff games to win a title you're going to have nights like that.

Bucks were still within about 10 with 7-8 minutes left. My timeline is fuzzy, but in the NBA that can literally be erased in 2 minutes of game time. I've seen them get truly blown out before, and this wasn't quite that. If they shoot even something like 43%, that is a competitive game.

I think they'll win running away tonight. If they get dominated again I'll have my finger on the button but as of now that game was just an aberration for me. It happens. GS blew a 31 point lead with LAC. When you have to win 16 playoff games to win a title you're going to have nights like that.

NBA games can definitely turn around very quickly. What was troubling about this one was save for a 3-4 minute period when the Bucks went on a 15-0 run, this did look like one of the worst blowouts I've seen. At least from a Bucks team that was competitive. I'm too young to recall the 80's, so perhaps in one of the many times they were playing in that stacked East this happened(I know only 4 times has a team lost game 1 by 20 points or more and come back to win the series and one of those teams was the Sixers when the Bucks beat them by 20 in game 1).

It's really the fact that they only stretch that made this game look competitive was when Giannis was out..that's when they went on their 15-0 run. I believe Giannis was out for the entire thing.

I don't particularly care if Giannis only scores 15 tonight, if he's penetrating and hitting open shoooters, we should be fine. If he's stonewalled by the Celts bigs again, they don't stand much chance.

Really hope we get some other guys to step up though, because this is a tough matchup for Giannis no matter what. Bledsoe needs to play much better.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Giannis, man. Absolute worst case scenario for us is for the MVP to play like this. He's got nothing, and he's killing us. They've got to calm him down, he's out of control, too amped, playing like a spaz and it's killing us. And Bledsoe is doing absolutely nothing to shake his reputation as a playoff choker.

We are very fortunate Kyrie has been so cold so far. Only a 5 point game, buf frankly this team just looks like it can't handle the big moment.

Giannis, man. Absolute worst case scenario for us is for the MVP to play like this. He's got nothing, and he's killing us. They've got to calm him down, he's out of control, too amped, playing like a spaz and it's killing us. And Bledsoe is doing absolutely nothing to shake his reputation as a playoff choker.

We are very fortunate Kyrie has been so cold so far. Only a 5 point game, buf frankly this team just looks like it can't handle the big moment.

They keep getting pounded and he's not the MVP. He already won it, but this is exhibit A for why Harden was worthy. An MVP gets out of the east second round. Especially when his play is going to be the reason why. If he doesn't wake up soon this is going to be a big monkey on his back.

Giannis isn't the first young superstar to shrink in the playoffs, but damn it's still annoying. Khris has been great but his playoff reputation was really bad before last year. Lebron, Dirk, and Harden, among others, had reputations for being much worse in the playoffs for years before they finally broke through.

Boston is plenty flawed too, but Giannis has to be better.

Lopez might be borderline unplayable in this series. Just don't see him keeping pace. Has to be like 4 for 7 on three's or he's worthless.

Hill continues to quietly be really, really good. Doing the little things and big things they need. I almost have more confidence in him than anyone else on the team, although I acknowledge that even when Giannis is playing terrible by his standards, the indirect benefits of the attention he draws are still critical to the team.

Archived