Brewer Fanatic

Justin Smoak

I like switch hitters a lot. When it makes sense. Eric Thames is doing just fine this season. Making a trade, just to make a trade, isn't something the Brewers do. You are overblowing a need right now to fit another one of your agendas. This is a want. Know the difference. But overall, you just... don't... get... it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like switch hitters a lot. When it makes sense. Eric Thames is doing just fine this season. Making a trade, just to make a trade, isn't something the Brewers do. You are overblowing a need right now to fit another one of your agendas. This is a want. Know the difference. But overall, you just... don't... get... it.

Again, that’s your opinion, and that’s fine.

But mine like the aforementioned take is more contact, less Ks, just as much or more power, will help the lineup. Wouldn’t you like to see runners moved over, even just a little more? An occasional sacrifice fly with a runner on 3rd less than 2 out?

If 5 mil is too much to spend to have this better hitter in the lineup for the next 4+ mo. Then wait till closer to the deadline and it’ll cost 2.7 mil

But mine like the aforementioned take is more contact, less Ks, just as much or more power, will help the lineup. Wouldn’t you like to see runners moved over, even just a little more? An occasional sacrifice fly with a runner on 3rd less than 2 out?

If 5 mil is too much to spend to have this better hitter in the lineup for the next 4+ mo. Then wait till closer to the deadline and it’ll cost 2.7 mil

I'd like to see Mike Trout in CF instead of Cain but that is a want, not a need. I also don't post that I want Mike Trout in every single thread. See the difference yet?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd like to see Mike Trout in CF instead of Cain but that is a want, not a need. I also don't post that I want Mike Trout in every single thread. See the difference yet?

Again your OPINION. Some, not just me, see the 2nd worst production at first base in ALL of baseball as a MASSIVE weakness and don’t think we have the in house solution to that massive weakness.

Again your OPINION. Some, not just me, see the 2nd worst production at first base in ALL of baseball as a MASSIVE weakness and don’t think we have the in house solution to that massive weakness.

:laughing You trying to lecture someone on what an opinion is...

Thames and his OPS would be right around the middle of the pack in terms of production at that production. Aguilar has absolutely stunk. If he continues, the simple fix is to simply not play him and release him. If we need help vs. LHP... Grandal can play there. Braun can play there. Moose can play there. Shaw can play there. Heck guys like Perez and Nottingham can play there. All options without giving up prospects or money as there just are not that many LHP's that we face.

Thankfully Thames had a home run last night. Have to admit in being extremely disappointed since he became a "regular" which appears to have happened on May 19. Since that time he's posted a .241/.267/.345/.612 slash line, which was much uglier prior to the home run. Thames has to get it geared up over the next few weeks, or Aguilar has to show some signs of life in his opportunities, or Shaw needs to get it going in AAA and then get back up to Milwaukee and get the job done (Shaw at 1B, Hiura at 2B, Moustakas at 3B). More and more it looks like 1B might be a legitimate need, which would be very disappointing because it would mean that 3 players completely fell flat to create the situation.

:laughing You trying to lecture someone on what an opinion is...

Thames and his OPS would be right around the middle of the pack in terms of production at that production. Aguilar has absolutely stunk. If he continues, the simple fix is to simply not play him and release him. If we need help vs. LHP... Grandal can play there. Braun can play there. Moose can play there. Shaw can play there. Heck guys like Perez and Nottingham can play there. All options without giving up prospects or money as there just are not that many LHP's that we face.

The lecture was from you not me, look at your first post this morning. It’s become a constant, belittling post from you on my posts. But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead continue on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I do like that he's a switch hitter. So sick of watching these all-or-nothing lefty power guys fanning away.

Interesting take you had in April, which is in agreement with my take, but now 5 weeks later you do a 180, and this is after Thames has regressed since your comments. Why? Is disagreeing with every take I have no matter how you really feel the thing to do?

This is severely twisting my words. I like that Smoak is a switch hitter, simply because I'm not a big fan of platoons. That's it. Far far cry from a 180. That doesn't mean Smoak is a good fit for this ballclub, or that he is even a sizable enough improvement over what we have to justify the cost. I'll also note that Smoak has cooled down considerably since this supposed interest was first noted. He's quickly reverting back to career norms.

Again, you need to CALM DOWN! Just cool it on the constant dead horse beating and enjoy being a fan Trust me, you'll enjoy the game a lot more.

I do like that he's a switch hitter. So sick of watching these all-or-nothing lefty power guys fanning away.

Interesting take you had in April, which is in agreement with my take, but now 5 weeks later you do a 180, and this is after Thames has regressed since your comments. Why? Is disagreeing with every take I have no matter how you really feel the thing to do?

I like that Smoak is a switch hitter, simply because I'm not a big fan of platoons.

Curious, do you just see that he is listed as a switch hitter and come to the conclusion he is actually good against both? Because he isn't, he has an OPS of .647 against LHP and last year was still sub .700 OPS.

He would be marginally better than say Thames split wise...but certainly not someone you actually want starting everyday. He isn't a true switch hitter like Yasmani Grandal who can have some legitimate long term success against both.

I am actually shocked and impressed with our 1B now. Someone is actually worse?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Curious, do you just see that he is listed as a switch hitter and come to the conclusion he is actually good against both? Because he isn't, he has an OPS of .647 against LHP and last year was still sub .700 OPS.

He would be marginally better than say Thames split wise...but certainly not someone you actually want starting everyday. He isn't a true switch hitter like Yasmani Grandal who can have some legitimate long term success against both.

No, I honestly haven't even looked into his splits. It can be assumed that a switch hitter wouldn't need to be platooned, but now that you point how how utterly horrible he is against lefties, it makes it appear as even a worse idea. It appears he isn't great against righties as well.

Did you even read my whole post? Smoak's switch-hittedness is literally the only potential positive I pointed out (and as you point out, it isn't even that). Otherwise there is really nothing there.

This is severely twisting my words. I like that Smoak is a switch hitter, simply because I'm not a big fan of platoons. That's it. Far far cry from a 180. That doesn't mean Smoak is a good fit for this ballclub, or that he is even a sizable enough improvement over what we have to justify the cost. I'll also note that Smoak has cooled down considerably since this supposed interest was first noted. He's quickly reverting back to career norms.

Again, you need to CALM DOWN! Just cool it on the constant dead horse beating and enjoy being a fan Trust me, you'll enjoy the game a lot more.

I really don’t understand your post, but maybe that’s just me. Sounded to me like you were just sick of watching Thames K at 35-38% of his plate appearances, which I can totally understand since I’m sick of it too.

Also, why do people keep saying: give up prospects for little if any upgrade. Forget the splits, his on base is almost.380 ops over .850 on pace for 30+ Hrs 100+ rbi. Ops+ 127. And to me the most important stat is > 17.5%bb and 18.9%K. Power hitter that doesn’t strike out, can move a runner over, sac fly. I believe Keith when he says he’s one of the most unlucky hitters in all of baseball.

But let’s continue to say Not much difference between them, but yet continue to complain about our lack of moving runners over, getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, continue to leave the bases loaded, and not want the perfect first baseman to start to change that.

A middling prospect or two, and 5 mil today or 2.75 mil close to the deadline.

After the trade of Thames and Aguilar we bring up Hiura and suddenly we have not just a better offense, but a more versatile team.

You keep portraying Smoak as this guy who always puts the ball in play. He struck out 156 times last year. That would have led our team last year. Yes, he's not Thames but he is hardly strikeout averse.

Personally I think you fall into the trap too often of ignoring everything but this year's data (except for Burnes).

You keep portraying Smoak as this guy who always puts the ball in play. He struck out 156 times last year. That would have led our team last year. Yes, he's not Thames but he is hardly strikeout averse.

Personally I think you fall into the trap too often of ignoring everything but this year's data (except for Burnes).

Yes this year much lower K %.

Smoak was a big time prospect when he first came up and was also a big time disappointment for years, then he found something in 2017, had a great year, last year he was good, this year good. Ops+ 137 121 127 so he’s definitely a better hitter than Thames the last 3 years. He’s not perfect obviously but for 2.75 mil-5 mil a big upgrade.

You didn't answer my question at all or even address it.

Aside from that, it's not like I would be mad about acquiring Smoak, I just don't think over the course of the remainder of the season compared to Aguilar/Thames he's going to be nearly the upgrade you're expecting.

Ok, sorry your right i ignored your question.

Very high probability that Smoak has been told already he’s being shopped so like almost all rental players that go from horrible teams to good teams should be excited(think moose).

Just think Schoop the rare exception. I also think it was a shock to Schoop, maybe it was duquette’s not telling him till the last minute. It was a trade that came out of nowhere.

So you think that a guy on the worst team, a team that was nearly 50 games under .500 by the trade deadline, that finished 61 games behind in their division, a team that had just traded their franchise player in Machado....you think he was "shocked" he was potentially going to get traded?

Ok, fine. I think it's strains the imagination, but if you believe that, ok. But then why do you assume Smoak has been told he'll likely be traded?

And then you further this statement by arguing that this player didn't want to play in Milwaukee, that's why he's bad. Not just that he was surprised, but he actively did not want to play here(then signs with a worse team that plays without a roof FTR) and you assume that Smoak would.

These situations are nearly identical, so would the two players have the exact opposite reactions to a potential trade?

It's one thing to disagree with people, but you don't need to take speculation, then state it as fact in order to support your argument. Unless you heard something about Schoop not wanting to be in Milwaukee, you're just making that up. But you made that statement.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

You didn't answer my question at all or even address it.

Aside from that, it's not like I would be mad about acquiring Smoak, I just don't think over the course of the remainder of the season compared to Aguilar/Thames he's going to be nearly the upgrade you're expecting.

Very high probability that Smoak has been told already he’s being shopped so like almost all rental players that go from horrible teams to good teams should be excited(think moose).

Just think Schoop the rare exception. I also think it was a shock to Schoop, maybe it was duquette’s not telling him till the last minute. It was a trade that came out of nowhere.

So you think that a guy on the worst team, a team that was nearly 50 games under .500 by the trade deadline, that finished 61 games behind in their division, a team that had just traded their franchise player in Machado....you think he was "shocked" he was potentially going to get traded?

Ok, fine. I think it's strains the imagination, but if you believe that, ok. But then why do you assume Smoak has been told he'll likely be traded?

And then you further this statement by arguing that this player didn't want to play in Milwaukee, that's why he's bad. Not just that he was surprised, but he actively did not want to play here(then signs with a worse team that plays without a roof FTR) and you assume that Smoak would.

These situations are nearly identical, so would the two players have the exact opposite reactions to a potential trade?

It's one thing to disagree with people, but you don't need to take speculation, then state it as fact in order to support your argument. Unless you heard something about Schoop not wanting to be in Milwaukee, you're just making that up. But you made that statement.

You must not have seen his body language, stupid facial expressions, opinion only, But are you telling me it’s never crossed your mind that he didn’t want to be here. I don’t believe that. Stearns sure said it was a huge mistake! Something there.

I'm just curious, has anyone ever reached 1500 posts faster than this BC92 character?

I think it's time to read more and post less. It's a drag watching the same posts over and over and over.

ok, enough of that, but man o man...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator

You must not have seen his body language, stupid facial expressions, opinion only, But are you telling me it’s never crossed your mind that he didn’t want to be here. I don’t believe that. Stearns sure said it was a huge mistake! Something there.

Or maybe, just maybe, he was upset about how poorly he was performing, frustrated that he couldn’t figure it out, and sad that he was letting down a team that thought enough to acquire him....

• 2 months later...

Justin Smoak: .211/.349/.407/.756 - 103 OPS+ with 19 HR & 53 RBI (433 PA)

Eric Thames: .255/.356/.507/.862 - 119 OPS+ with 19 HR & 51 RBI (357 PA)

Good none move here.

• 2 weeks later...
Justin Smoak: .211/.349/.407/.756 - 103 OPS+ with 19 HR & 53 RBI (433 PA)

Eric Thames: .255/.356/.507/.862 - 119 OPS+ with 19 HR & 51 RBI (357 PA)

Good none move here.

I know this isn't the Thames thread, but I'm starting to wonder if Thames is approaching a statline where he's worth the $7.5m option. He's had a pretty darn good month, and season overall. You really don't want him starting against LHP, but tweaking the roster to allow a RH hitting option at 1b against LHP should not be difficult or expensive. I'll be very curious to see if that gets exercised.

Yea if I'm guessing right now I think they pick him up as I don't think a significant every day type upgrade will be available without much more money. Two in house platoon options on the team already in Braun/Grandal. Obviously who knows if Grandal is back though. If Moose is gone, the replacement could be RH who can play some 1B. With the 26th spot maybe a backup OF can play some 1B and is RH, but I doubt it with Gamel/Grisham. Since it's 1B/3B related, I'd also be guessing Shaw isn't picked up as of now. I mean he still looks completely lost, good thing we didn't give him a 6 year deal after a good few months huh.

Also, absolute blast reading back on the hot takes of months past here

Thames has been fine lately Why is the grass always greener?

I don't know. There is very little difference between Thames and Smoak. Smoak is a switch hitter, but he's so much better as a lefty that the SH thing isn't really an advantage with him. He's not a good righty hitter.

We seem to be fueled by a constant desire for change and this search for a "professional" hitter, whatever that is, we apparently do not have any.

Ops+:

Thames 102 Smoke 127

Smoak also strikes out less, walks more = professional hitter.

Just dragging this out to point out that Smoak currently sits with an OPS+ of 103, while Thames is sporting a 122.

Yea if I'm guessing right now I think they pick him up as I don't think a significant every day type upgrade will be available without much more money. Two in house platoon options on the team already in Braun/Grandal. Obviously who knows if Grandal is back though. If Moose is gone, the replacement could be RH who can play some 1B. With the 26th spot maybe a backup OF can play some 1B and is RH, but I doubt it with Gamel/Grisham. Since it's 1B/3B related, I'd also be guessing Shaw isn't picked up as of now. I mean he still looks completely lost, good thing we didn't give him a 6 year deal after a good few months huh.

I was admittedly very high on Smoak as a deadline rental, his batted ball profile really took a nose dive the last month before the deadline though.

I didn't even think about the 26th man, that makes it way easier to have a roster spot for someone to strict platoon with Thames. My first thoughts were Braun, Hiura, or a catcher to play 1b against LHP. For Hiura, we'll likely find a better version of Perez to compete with Arcia for starting SS...the loser becomes a utility guy that could play 2b vs LHP(If Arcia is not a starter, he's probably always playing SS when in the game with the starting SS moving to 2b in this case...but you generally get the idea). We could always look at someone like Todd Frazier to play some 3b and 1b, maybe not specifically him but a 3b/1b combo. Lots of options.

I was admittedly very high on Smoak as a deadline rental, his batted ball profile really took a nose dive the last month before the deadline though.

I didn't even think about the 26th man, that makes it way easier to have a roster spot for someone to strict platoon with Thames. My first thoughts were Braun, Hiura, or a catcher to play 1b against LHP. For Hiura, we'll likely find a better version of Perez to compete with Arcia for starting SS...the loser becomes a utility guy that could play 2b vs LHP(If Arcia is not a starter, he's probably always playing SS when in the game with the starting SS moving to 2b in this case...but you generally get the idea). We could always look at someone like Todd Frazier to play some 3b and 1b, maybe not specifically him but a 3b/1b combo. Lots of options.

I was thinking more along the lines of Neil Walker. A swith hitter who can play 1B-3B-2B (in a pinch). He hit in Milwaukee before and would only be about $2M or so to sign. Nice bench player along with Spangenberg. I wonder if Stearns is looking at Iglesais to fill the SS spot. Good #2 or #7-8 hitter and very good defense. He'd be a nice upgrade at SS with the bat.

Archived