Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-22: Brewers (Houser) at Cardinals (Flaherty) [Brewers lose, 13-5]

Eye Black
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnes is just a guy who throws hard. He’s Alex Wilson with more velocity and less command, and Wilson spent all off season waiting on a contract.

The injuries to Knebel and Jeffress hurt, because outside Guerra and Hader the rest are just cheap guys and are now exposed having to pitch a lot.

I don’t think coaches make that big of an impact at the major league level, but certainly Chris Hook doesn’t have a stellar track record of having helped pitchers develop in Milwaukee’s system. Who knows, but the pitching sure has been as bad as it’s been since Stearns got here

This is not an excuse, and I'm as frustrated by this team's pitching as anyone (It's also April, and we've all known this month was just going to be brutal, schedule wise. I think the team should be happy just to be above .500 on May 1).

But most folks seem to agree the ball is different again. It's flying further, and that likely plays into some of the Brewer pitcher homer woes (of course, it's also helped our offense, so there's that). It has to be hard for GMs and owners to plan when the main piece of equipment changes so much from year-to-year. Look at Domingo Santana. He looks like a 30 HR guy now, just like 2017, back when the ball was like this. 2018, when it was semi-normal (though still flying), he was a 5 HR guy. Obviously, not ALL of that is the ball, but it's a factor, and it makes sense it would be for Burnes too.

If nothing else comes out of this game, maybe that dinger gets the Mayor back on track.

Just another thought. Bucks have 5th highest payroll at 130million. Isn't that what the Brewers are spending on 25 guys? How can the Bucks be a top 5 NBA payroll in the same market as the Crew and we keep hearing they have no money to add the arms they need. Different sports of course but it's interesting when people bring up the limited resources take. Bucks seem to have realized that it takes spending money to make it. Hope the Brewers realize this season is going off the rails if nothing is done.

At least Shaw going deep might get his bat hot again (silver linings). Won't really matter without more pitching though

Unless you are a fan of 4-hour 12-10 games.

Helps the beer sales at Miller Park. "Ooooh, look! Bernie is sliding again!!!"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just another thought. Bucks have 5th highest payroll at 130million. Isn't that what the Brewers are spending on 25 guys? How can the Bucks be a top 5 NBA payroll in the same market as the Crew and we keep hearing they have no money to add the arms they need. Different sports of course but it's interesting when people bring up the limited resources take. Bucks seem to have realized that it takes spending money to make it. Hope the Brewers realize this season is going off the rails if nothing is done.

You are making too much sense. Knock it off! The Emporer wears no clothes.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Chalk this game thread up to the brewerfan.net HOF. Yikes.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Everything is out of whack. The perfect storm of inexperience in the starting rotation facing the best offenses in baseball coupled with devastating injuries to knebel jeffress Wahl facing some of the best pitching in baseball, with no $ to spend to replace the injured pitchers.

The good news is i think Attanasio is going to step up and allow stearns to sign kimbrel. I also think Anderson will help stabilize the rotation. Woodruff will improve and by mid season we’ll be wondering why we ever doubted him in the first place. Nelson will dominate more than not, because he really does have devastating breaking pitches. Stearns will add what we need at the deadline and this team will be a juggernaut again come October.

Two different sports, two entirely different CBAs & economic structures.

The top NBA team salary is 153 million & the bottom is 87 million.

The top MLB team salary is 213 & the bottom is 62 million.

Also, The Bucks owners are also billionaires, I believe Mark A is only a hundred millionaire.

Also, The Bucks owners are also billionaires, I believe Mark A is only a hundred millionaire.

He’s close to billionaire now with the team worth xtra 144 million just last year alone.

but certainly Chris Hook doesn’t have a stellar track record of having helped pitchers develop in Milwaukee’s system.

All of Hader, Woodruff, Burnes & Peralta developed & exceeded expectations under Hook's tutelage in the minors.

He’s close to billionaire now with the team worth xtra 144 million just last year alone.

& all he has to do to access that money is sell the team, though then he wouldn't be able to spend it on payroll I guess.

It’s still a part of his net worth, whether he sells or not.

His teams value to me is not the issue,because it has no bearing on the yearly payroll.

And I believe he’s going to bump up the payroll enough to sign kimbrel and add what we need at the deadline, because he is a good owner.

It’s still a part of his net worth, whether he sells or not.

His teams value to me is not the issue,because it has no bearing on the yearly payroll.

And I believe he’s going to bump up the payroll enough to sign kimbrel and add what we need at the deadline, because he is a good owner.

I mentioned this in another game day thread - our GM and management did not adequately address pitching this offseason. Instead they put all of their chips in the young guys like Peralta, Woodruff and Burnes. It doesn't help that Nelson and Suter still aren't ready to return. Losing Knebel was a killer too. Until this pitching situation is fixed this team will return to where it usually is - on the outside looking in.

Community Moderator
They held their own in April against their likely playoff opponents. Many had them winning less games in April than they have already won. I have zero concerns moving forward.

What a thread to read, wow.... Bashing on Stearns for “not addressing pitching” is so far off. He expected our bullpen to consist of Hader, Knebel, Jeffress, Claudio, Wahl, Guerra, and “hopefully” good Albers. That is an absolute filthy bullpen.

Most people were excited that the young guys were getting their opportunity in the rotation. Chacin and Davies are solid while Peralta has his up and down games, with Burnes and Woodruff showing they can dominate good lineups on the biggest stage last season out of the pen. Having Anderson as a replacement for an ineffective starter was smart roster construction. Stearns probably expected Nelson to come back a couple months into the season and he would kick the least effective starter from the rotation. That’s two solid options to help out early in the season.

The issue with this is that the bullpen was decimated by injuries one week before Opening Day. 4 of the 5 starters have been bad their first few starts to the season. Nobody expected all 3 of the young guys to get lit up this badly. Even if only two of them struggled, it would be manageable. But Stearns is caught in a position where pretty much all of the starters have been ineffective and the fantastic bullpen got riddled with injuries. It’s hard to be disappointed in the roster construction when all he had left to pick from one week prior to the season starting was guys that every other team passed on for their bullpen. And I’ve seen people mention in the past that maybe Stearns should of gotten relief help instead of signing Grandal. The Grandal signing was in January. The Brewers lost all their relievers in March. Stearns doesn’t know who is going to get hurt in the future.

They will whether the storm as best as they can until a few of the starters dial it in, Nelson returns, and continue to patch work the bullpen. There truly is nothing you can do to replace that much ineffectiveness and injuries.

I literally dislike coming to this site and reading these posts. 3guys here just ganging up bashing the organization, staff, GM, players, money, fandom, etc. Internet Bullies. Not even 1000 posts to your names. And wow just checked. Feb join, April join, April join. After our season last year, but just complain and complain because your bandwagon fandom isn't going the way you want in the very first month of the season.

Jeffress put up a 0 in the 1IP I see. Nelson is going to AAA to continue his road back. Its almost like Burnes can never go back to the BP. Another HR from Braun, Shaw hit a HR, with Thames a walk and Perez a HR. The team needs these players to bat like that. The pitching will sort itself out. Nelson return, Burnes to BP, Jeffress late inning heroics, and middle order bats performing like just that. We're still in contention at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Those last two posts have gone along way in helping restore my faith in Brewer fandom today. Thanks guys.

The Stearns and Attanasio bashing is making the posters who are doing it look foolish. You guys sound like the spoiled kid whose parents sprung for the top-end new bike, but he's complaining because it doesn't make the engine sound like Johnny's next door.

Archived