Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-22: Brewers (Houser) at Cardinals (Flaherty) [Brewers lose, 13-5]

Eye Black
Not making the postseason this year would be a major failure in the eyes of most fans.

Then most fans haven't been paying enough attention (no real surprise).

Most projections had us around a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs this season in a stacked NL.

If you flip a coin, I call heads & it comes up tails, is that a major failure?

Sorry but most of those same projections had us at less than that last 2 yrs.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let’s see, players coming up thru the system ( non pitching) Braun and Arcia. What makes anyone believe that the young arms are going to be any different? This team minus pitching has 2 maybe 3 years to win. Veterans proved very key last year with our additions and the only one we don’t have are with the pitching staff.

I know its easy to take the "Well, it's not my money" philosophy, but the money this team has available to make outside acquisitions is still limited. They need to develop their own talent. I'd love to see them win a World Series in the next 2-3 years, but I'd also like to see a team that is a contender for the next decade, too.

Yep. Mark's ability to make money is a higher priority than winning it all. As long as the drunks keep filling the stands, they don't really care. I mean, a World Series win would be nice, but not at the risk of the bottom line

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The failure to add quality arms to this pitching staff could be seen as a failure if we miss the postseason, yes

I disagree. They made a choice. In my opinion that choice was the better choice for the long term success of the franchise. I'm fine with that even if it means missing the playoffs this year.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Not making the postseason this year would be a major failure in the eyes of most fans.

Most projections had us around a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs this season in a stacked NL.

Sorry, but so what?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Let’s see, players coming up thru the system ( non pitching) Braun and Arcia. What makes anyone believe that the young arms are going to be any different? This team minus pitching has 2 maybe 3 years to win. Veterans proved very key last year with our additions and the only one we don’t have are with the pitching staff.

I know its easy to take the "Well, it's not my money" philosophy, but the money this team has available to make outside acquisitions is still limited. They need to develop their own talent. I'd love to see them win a World Series in the next 2-3 years, but I'd also like to see a team that is a contender for the next decade, too.

Yep. Mark's ability to make money is a higher priority than winning it all. As long as the drunks keep filling the stands, they don't really care. I mean, a World Series win would be nice, but not at the risk of the bottom line

If you honestly believe that, there is nothing that can be said that's going to change your mind. I just hope that you are in the minority.

The only teams I would've considered postseason locks coming into the season were Boston, New York, Cleveland, Houston & Los Angeles.

Any of those five teams missing the postseason would be a major failure in my eyes.

No other team had a high enough postseason probability entering the season to be considered a major failure if they miss out.

When in the MA era have they been able to do that?

Every year it is we have to develop our own talent and never do it. This team has to win now. They have to spend.

The question is limited by what? Not wanting to spend profits? Going into the red? It's all about how much do they have to spend and still be healthy. You cannot tell me one more piece and they are in financial strain. I don't buy it. On the other try being 8 or 9 out come August. That's money you will never get back due to empty seats. Your eyes aren't lying. This staff is brutal.

That’s a sacrilegious thing to say on this site. Be careful how you proceed.

When in the MA era have they been able to do that?

Every year it is we have to develop our own talent and never do it. This team has to win now. They have to spend.

Preach bro.

The question is limited by what? Not wanting to spend profits? Going into the red? It's all about how much do they have to spend and still be healthy. You cannot tell me one more piece and they are in financial strain. I don't buy it. On the other try being 8 or 9 out come August. That's money you will never get back due to empty seats. Your eyes aren't lying. This staff is brutal.

100% agree.

I guess the plan is "if we're still in it in late July we'll trade for Bumgarner." That'd be too little too late.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It’s not “growing pains” when the pitcher, be it Burnes, Peralta, Houser etc fails to even compete. Houser had a whip of 2.50, and allowed 2 homers in four innings. You’ll never beat anyone with that production.

It’s also great that Barnes, Williams, Houser, Petriscka have options but really they’re all sort of bad pitchers and that’s on the GM for focusing on quantity with options over quality.

Your statement makes too much sense. Stop it!

It’s not “growing pains” when the pitcher, be it Burnes, Peralta, Houser etc fails to even compete. Houser had a whip of 2.50, and allowed 2 homers in four innings. You’ll never beat anyone with that production.

It’s also great that Barnes, Williams, Houser, Petriscka have options but really they’re all sort of bad pitchers and that’s on the GM for focusing on quantity with options over quality.

To lump Barnes with Petricka shows your lack of.......

I almost wonder if the success of guys like Miley, Jeffress and Chacin last year give this team's front office a false sense that they could turn lead into gold when it comes to the pitching staff? I wasn't a big believer that Derek Johnson made that much of a difference, but that resolve is starting to waiver.

I think the GM has his hands tied by ownership, but you certainly could be right. Either way it is incredibly disappointing. This team reminds me so much of the 2012 Brewers right now, at least the MLB team. There is at least more talent in the farm system than in 2012.

I almost wonder if the success of guys like Miley, Jeffress and Chacin last year give this team's front office a false sense that they could turn lead into gold when it comes to the pitching staff? I wasn't a big believer that Derek Johnson made that much of a difference, but that resolve is starting to waiver.

Or maybe, just maybe, last year was a bit of lightning in a bottle.

Or maybe, just maybe, last year was a bit of lightning in a bottle.

That was pretty much the feeling I got watching a gas can like Wade Miley pitch like and ace and throw up 0 after 0 nearly every time out. If that is the case, it's a good thing this team is built to compete now and later. The last thing I want to see is them make a bunch of high-priced "go for it" trades, completely decimate the farm, then auction off the remaining talent in a couple years. That's why they need to stick with these home-grown guys and build this thing to compete both now and for the long haul.

This is not fun what the brewers pitchers are doing presently doing. Houser, Wilkerson and Barnes should all be in 3 a. Barnes is so frustrating he really just losses it on the mound and it goes south very fast. I loved the idea that the Brewers had going in with the Young arms but it has not worked out so hot even though we are above 500 in this grueling early schedule.Hopefully at some point Nelson can help out at some point.

Archived