Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-22: Brewers (Houser) at Cardinals (Flaherty) [Brewers lose, 13-5]

Eye Black
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Home run reliant team like I’ve never seen before. Watching cards broadcast they put up a stat, crew highest % of runs by hr before this game. Think it over 60%. Now well over.

Who cares. If you hit them it doesn't really matter. One of those weird overblown things people say just to say. If you aren't hitting 85% solo shots a HR offense can work.

Imagine if this team could pitch even closely to middle-of-the-road... Oh, wait, all is well with as-is. Never mind.

What's the solution? Seems like they are pretty much trying everything.

Let the kids pitch and take the lumps. One step back this year to take a whole bunch of steps forward in the coming years is worth it. None of these guys was ever going to be Kershaw or Scherzer and anyone expecting them to come up and light the world on fire had misguided expectations. Jettisoning them to the pen or a league they have already dominated isn't going to help in terms of being the answer.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Imagine if this team could pitch even closely to middle-of-the-road... Oh, wait, all is well with as-is. Never mind.

Let the kids pitch and take the lumps. One step back this year to take a whole bunch of steps forward in the coming years is worth it. None of these guys was ever going to be Kershaw or Scherzer and anyone expecting them to come up and light the world on fire had misguided expectations. Jettisoning them to the pen or a league they have already dominated isn't going to help in terms of being the answer.

I think you are spot on. It's going to be very frustrating to watch at times this year, but they are going to come out of it better because of it. I think they spent money on offense with that in mind ... outscore the other team because the pitching isn't going to shut anyone down. And that's fine. These top teams in the NL are going to beat the heck out of each other this year, and the Brewers are liking going to be in the thick of things at the end.

It will be interesting to see how long they keep Burnes down for. I think he's a guy that doesn't have a lot left to prove in AAA.

Were the Dodgers or Diamondbacks/Tigers one game away from the World Series the season before they decided to give Kershaw and Scherzer their opportunities? Did these teams try to see how 3/5 of a rotation would look like giving guys the chances to grow at that time? The Brewers weren’t in the right position to risk 3/5 of their rotation like they did this year. Not making the postseason this year would be a major failure in the eyes of most fans.

Were the Dodgers or Diamondbacks/Tigers one game away from the World Series the season before they decided to give Kershaw and Scherzer their opportunities? Did these teams try to see how 3/5 of a rotation would look like giving guys the chances to grow at that time? The Brewers weren’t in the right position to risk 3/5 of their rotation like they did this year. Not making the postseason this year would be a major failure in the eyes of most fans.

Of the three, who do you not give a spot to? All three pitched well enough in their roles last year to earn the opportunity. I'm sure in hindsight they may have made more of an effort to resign Wade Miley, but a lot of the solid starting pitching options went for prices that I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with them paying. They weren't going to be signing guys like Corbin. I would have loved to see them make a play for a guy like James Paxton, but that would have put another big dent in the minor league talent. I'm all for going for it, but you need to develop your talent too.

They scored Braun’s botched attempt on Carpenter’s flyball as a double (as they probably should have per the scoring rules). That is a tough way for Barnes to get credited with a hit allowed.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I get what you're saying, I just disagree with it on multiple levels. The bottom line is that at some point you have to let them pitch. What were you going to do, lock them in to bullpen spots? What if they missed the World Series by one game this year? Do you put them back in the pen again in 2020? At what point have you wasted the opportunity to let these guys develop? What is your alternative plan? They were never going to give a tone of money to multiple starting pitchers and if they had we would have even bigger holes in the linup than we already do.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Let’s see, players coming up thru the system ( non pitching) Braun and Arcia. What makes anyone believe that the young arms are going to be any different? This team minus pitching has 2 maybe 3 years to win. Veterans proved very key last year with our additions and the only one we don’t have are with the pitching staff.

Not making the postseason this year would be a major failure in the eyes of most fans.

Then most fans haven't been paying enough attention (no real surprise).

Most projections had us around a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs this season in a stacked NL.

If you flip a coin, I call heads & it comes up tails, is that a major failure?

Let’s see, players coming up thru the system ( non pitching) Braun and Arcia. What makes anyone believe that the young arms are going to be any different? This team minus pitching has 2 maybe 3 years to win. Veterans proved very key last year with our additions and the only one we don’t have are with the pitching staff.

I know its easy to take the "Well, it's not my money" philosophy, but the money this team has available to make outside acquisitions is still limited. They need to develop their own talent. I'd love to see them win a World Series in the next 2-3 years, but I'd also like to see a team that is a contender for the next decade, too.

Jacob Barnes is a very frustrating guy to watch work. Every tool is there.

It’s his head. Command goes ga ga when he pitches in anything resembling high leverage. He’s good in mop up role. Counsell not fooled.

But the pens short right now, so he back to mop up.

Archived