Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-21: Dodgers (Kershaw) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers lose, 6-5 -- Thames 3-run HR in 8th ties it; Bellinger HR in the 9th proves the difference]

Eye Black
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, this one's over.

Cool. Enjoy your sunday.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We can either try to contend again this year or we can try to develop all our young pitchers as MLB starters in the MLB rotation. We can't do both at the same time.

Let 'em develop then. Otherwise we are in the same position next year. I'm just not sure any one of them has anything to prove in AAA at this point.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Woodruff struggling is more alarming to me as he’s 26 and been around for three seasons.

Jimmy Nelson’s career trajectory presented without commentary: Baseball Reference Link

Yeah, not a great comparison.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I disagree, it’s a fair comparison.

Care to expand on why? Brought along differently.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Kershaw's gameplan appears to largely be to walk anyone that can hit, then just get the other half of the lineup that can hit at all right now to kill innings.

Lineup is just spaced out enough to make that strategy gold this far

Coming into the season I thought this would be a lineup that would challenge pitchers pretty much top to bottom. As players cycled through slumps there would be others to pick them up. That certainly hasn’t been the case in a lot of games as 3 of the presumptive strong spots have contributed well below expectations.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

We can either try to contend again this year or we can try to develop all our young pitchers as MLB starters in the MLB rotation. We can't do both at the same time.

This.

If you count today as a loss, we are still in contention at 13-10 with a record of 7-6 in games started by Peralta/Woodruff/Burnes.

Up until now we have done both at the same time.

I guess I'm missing what you're trying to say as well. Looks like pretty apt comparison to me.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Both were brought along as starters in the minors, Woodruff only bounced around between roles in 2018 (21 starts/15 relief appearances) out of team need.

Nelson's first full season as a MLB starter was at age 26, same as Woodruff is trying for this year.

This.

If you count today as a loss, we are still in contention at 13-10 with a record of 7-6 in games started by Peralta/Woodruff/Burnes.

You continue to point to the record. The record is meaningless this early in the season. The record is not sustainable under the year to date level of play and is largely attributable to luck.

You continue to point to the record. The record is meaningless this early in the season. The record is not sustainable under the year to date level of play and is largely attributable to luck.

You continue to point to about 200 IP of performance, which is meaningless this early in the season. That poor performance is not sustainable under the year to date level of play and is largely attributable to bad luck.

Both were brought along as starters in the minors, Woodruff only bounced around between roles in 2018 (21 starts/15 relief appearances) out of team need.

Nelson's first full season as a MLB starter was at age 26, same as Woodruff is trying for this year.

Those are the similarities I was alluding to in terms of both becoming full-time starters at age 26. Nelson was prone to inconsistent command and struggled mightily at times. Take a look at Jimmy Nelson’s 2015 Game Log. Unfortunately Woodruff is likely to have several blow up outings just like Jimmy did early on.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived