Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez Continued...

I don't want to spend any money on this guy, none. Take whatever it will cost to get him and use it for someone who can actually help us.

I don't want 4 inning Gio again.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to spend any money on this guy, none. Take whatever it will cost to get him and use it for someone who can actually help us.

Gio averaged a shade over 5 innings per start with the Brewers - the same as Wade Miley - but with a much better track record.

I'm curious as to whom you think is out there that can be had for a similar price, that can actually help. I'm not arguing, just asking - I'm not sure that you could get Keuchel or Kimbrel as cheaply, and I don't see anyone else out there (unless you're thinking about giving up assets in a trade) worth bothering with.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I have no idea if this guy has inside info or not, but he is literally a 16-year-old kid from Florida. I suppose he could be a minority owner's kid or something.

He was the one who broke the Moose trade last summer. I give him about zero credibility, though. (Not that I don't appreciate Brew still passing along the rumor to us). But I've seen the guy throw a ton of stuff at the wall since the Moose trade and none of it has stuck. I think he got lucky one time with some insider info, however he came about it, but he looks like he's been fishing for attention since then.

I figured that since I saw it in two places it was worthy of a share. Not that I totally believe either of them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have no idea if this guy has inside info or not, but he is literally a 16-year-old kid from Florida. I suppose he could be a minority owner's kid or something.

He was the one who broke the Moose trade last summer. I give him about zero credibility, though. (Not that I don't appreciate Brew still passing along the rumor to us). But I've seen the guy throw a ton of stuff at the wall since the Moose trade and none of it has stuck. I think he got lucky one time with some insider info, however he came about it, but he looks like he's been fishing for attention since then.

I don't deny the validity of the Moose info ... it's just odd that a breaking story would be funneled through a 16-year-old kid. I do follow him on Twitter, even though 98% of his posts are garbage.

Sure, why not. Things haven't worked out as planned in the rotation, so you're improvising in the short term without abandoning your long term strategy. This is perfect. He just has to eat 5 innings and not completely implode and lose his poise the way young guys often do, and he'll be an upgrade.

I kind of expected a bumpy road for the rotation, and I think they did too. That's why they kept so many options like Anderson and Wilkerson. I'm a little more concerned about guys like Aguilar, Thames, and Braun possibly never being any good again.

Gio averaged a shade over 5 innings per start with the Brewers - the same as Wade Miley - but with a much better track record.

I'm curious as to whom you think is out there that can be had for a similar price, that can actually help. I'm not arguing, just asking - I'm not sure that you could get Keuchel or Kimbrel as cheaply, and I don't see anyone else out there (unless you're thinking about giving up assets in a trade) worth bothering with.

Kuechel probably 15-18 mil for this year including the prorated.

Kimbrel probably as low as 9 mil for this year if backloaded 3, prorated.

Then traded or we’d have him for 33 mil next 2 years.

So to answere your question > kimbrel probably closest to gio price wise.

I agree with Ricky, we already have have enough depth in the rotation, gio NOT a difference maker imo. Getting kimbrel for maybe a few mil more be like adding ANOTHER HADER to this staff.

Yeah from what I can tell he's just really good at searching Twitter. In other words, finding mention of something before its widely known. It backfires on him often when he puts out something that turns out to be a false report.

I don't think the difference between Gio and Keuchel is great enough to warrant the higher cost Keuchel would demand, so I'd be all for a Gio acquisition. He's a solid guy who will keep you in the game, which right now would be a pretty nice thing to have.

Nice to have? Not so sure bout that.

Do we really need another depth starter? Just asking.

The crew going with the trio in rotation to develope as starters, plus Chacín Davies Anderson Wilkerson Houser And soon Nelson. That’s 9. Maybe he’s a better option than 3 or 4 of those 9, but maybe not.

Unless we develope our trio in AAA, but not sure we should do that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think the difference between Gio and Keuchel is great enough to warrant the higher cost Keuchel would demand, so I'd be all for a Gio acquisition. He's a solid guy who will keep you in the game, which right now would be a pretty nice thing to have.

The crew going with the trio in rotation to develope as starters, plus Chacín Davies Anderson Wilkerson Houser And soon Nelson. That’s 9. Maybe he’s a better option than 3 or 4 of those 9, but maybe not.

In my mind, Keuchel and Gonzalez are roughly pretty equal, so yes, nice to have. Right now, Gio would probably be #2 or #3 in this rotation, depending on where you put Anderson. Right now, on April 22, I'd trust Gio to start a game and keep the team competitive more than everyone except Davies and Chacin. It would be a toss-up with Woodruff.

In 2017, Gio was 6th in the Cy Young voting and posted a dominant line. In 2018, he regressed with the Nationals, but with the Crew, he was performing slightly better than he did in 2017.

At this point, signing Gio and a DFA of Petrika would be a smart move. It buys time for Burnes to fix his issues at San Antonio and for Peralta to get back into form as well.

A solid but unspectacular LH starter sounds like something we could use. Gio has the advantage over Keuchel of being both cheaper and ready to step in straight away. I'd argue against the notion that he and Keuchel are equally good though, I think at this point Keuchel is still clearly better, but Gio is probably the better fit right now.

I don't think it's happening though, if the Brewers really liked Gio I imagine he'd have been a Brewer before the season started.

A solid but unspectacular LH starter sounds like something we could use. Gio has the advantage over Keuchel of being both cheaper and ready to step in straight away. I'd argue against the notion that he and Keuchel are equally good though, I think at this point Keuchel is still clearly better, but Gio is probably the better fit right now.

I don't think it's happening though, if the Brewers really liked Gio I imagine he'd have been a Brewer before the season started.

Agree with your take completely except maybe things have changed in the Brewers eyes in regards to the young trio and their troubles starting. I hope not, but maybe.

Plus in all likelihood it would keep us from signing Kimbrel, who is spectacular.

If there is even a remote chance that signing Gio stops us from making another signing, then I am completely against it.

Gio isn't going to move the needle too much one way or the other. we need a needle mover, not a guy to hold a place.

Kuechel probably 15-18 mil for this year including the prorated.

That's what I was thinking.

Kimbrel probably as low as 9 mil for this year if backloaded 3, prorated.

Then traded or we’d have him for 33 mil next 2 years.

So to answere your question > kimbrel probably closest to gio price wise.

I don't disagree that Kimbrel is a much bigger "get" than Gio, but I think that the price difference is going to be greater than you think. What I really disagree with is the contention that that Gio is worthless or, as Rickey described him, a "4 inning" pitcher.

Now, if it's really a choice between Gio and Kimbrel, then I get that argument - but I'm not convinced that it's an either/or situation. Of course, it's not my money. :)

In 2017, Gio was 6th in the Cy Young voting and posted a dominant line. In 2018, he regressed with the Nationals, but with the Crew, he was performing slightly better than he did in 2017.

At this point, signing Gio and a DFA of Petrika would be a smart move. It buys time for Burnes to fix his issues at San Antonio and for Peralta to get back into form as well.

I didn't want to bring up 2017 again - I mentioned it several times in the off-season and didn't want to sound like a broken record... :laughing

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

If there is even a remote chance that signing Gio stops us from making another signing, then I am completely against it.

Gio isn't going to move the needle too much one way or the other. we need a needle mover, not a guy to hold a place.

That's why I like Gonzalez, the price-tag should be low enough to allow the Brewers to make another move in July. He recently had to sign a minor league deal. There might be more demand for him now, but he will have missed 1/6th of the season. Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe a team will throw 7 million at him when he couldn't even find a major league deal a few weeks ago. The price on him should be pretty reasonable.

Gonzalez might not be a needle mover, but if looking at the recent history, he should bring a reliable upgrade to the pitching staff.

Since the beginning of 2016:

Gonzalez = 3.87 ERA/3.95 FIP

Chacin = 4.09 ERA/4.18 FIP

Anderson = 3.69 ERA/4.66 FIP

Davies = 3.92 ERA/4.13 FIP

And the best ERA so far this season from the Brewers 4-pack (including Houser) of young starters is Woodruff's 5.81.

There is always a chance the Gonzalez is now too old, has hit the wall, would come in here and be completely ineffective. But recent history demonstrates that there is just as good a chance that he would come in here and be the team's best starting pitcher. It definitely seems to be worth taking a 3-4 million dollar risk on him.

YES! 100% agreed. he is a stopgap at most, while we figure out what the heck our next move.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Brewers "have emerged as the front-runner" to sign Gio Gonzalez.

The Brewers' rotation holds a 5.74 ERA this season, which is easily the worst in the National League, so it's not a surprise that they were interested in bringing Gonzalez back. The left-hander posted a 2.13 ERA over his final five regular season starts for the Brew Crew last season. Gonzalez is now 33 and coming off a down season overall, though, so he's not a slam dunk to be better than what Milwaukee already has.

SOURCE: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 10:55 AM

Archived