Brewer Fanatic

Gio Gonzalez Continued...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just about to post the same thing. He pitched well last year and was good in 2 of the 3 games in the minors this year (and who knows the conditions during the bad game on April 8th).

Also the new agent might be easier to deal with. They'd have to drop someone from the 40. Albers or Hart seem to be the most likely choices.

Hope he opts out and we can pick him up. We certainly could use the depth, especially with Freddy hurt and Burnes optioned.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Trying to think of a reason we wouldn't immediately sign him

-Was on the team last year

-Left-handed SP

-Fairly cheap

-Fairly high ceiling in terms of sustained success

This is a no-brainer. Sign Gio, DFA Albers... Anderson back to the pen.

Eight of the last nine years Gio made 31+ starts & threw 170+ innings. The other year (2014) he was at 27 GS/158 IP.

Over that nine year stretch he made the 5th most starts & threw the 11th most innings in all of MLB.

Coming into his age 33 season with that kind of durability & a league avearge-ish ERA would have probably gotten him something like 3/30 just to eat innings "back in the old days".

Now he's gotta take a minor league deal, slum it in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for a couple two tree starts & hope he can opt out into an MLB gig somewhere.

I'd fire my agent too.

Best pitcher available with Kuechel in all likelihood going to the Mets to replace degrom.

Source?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Trying to think of a reason we wouldn't immediately sign him

-Was on the team last year

-Left-handed SP

-Fairly cheap

-Fairly high ceiling in terms of sustained success

This is a no-brainer. Sign Gio, DFA Albers... Anderson back to the pen.

I'd have Anderson and Gio in the rotation replacing Burnes and Peralta.

Best pitcher available with Kuechel in all likelihood going to the Mets to replace degrom.

Source?

Just an educated guess, with degrom at best out for extended period of time and Mets not with any depth in starters. I suppose they could go gio.

Source?

Just an educated guess, with degrom at best out for extended period of time and Mets not with any depth in starters. I suppose they could go gio.

Gio put himself in a good position no doubt and might get multiple offers, but Brewers should be able to be competitive with an offer.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder who they mean Gio ? Craig , Dallas

Well, they said that it wasn't Gio he was talking about. This could be a tease with nothing to it, but it's exciting.

Trying to think who I'd rather see them sign. I think I'm in the minority and would rather see Kimbrel signed for big money and Gio signed to a cheap one year deal. I just really like the idea of getting Hader back into the role of using him when it's most important and further away from using him as a closer.

Edit-I mean to say Kimbrel as opposed to Kuechel if both could be had for just one year deals.

Still, regardless of this individual being right about Moose, doesn't mean he's right here and it also says "close." Close can fall apart quickly.

No matter what, I hope it's a ONE year deal, maybe with a team option. I want to keep the young guys in the rotation and we'e got so many young relievers SHOULD be ready to step in next year with big time stuff that I'd hate to see a lot of money from next years budget allocated to fixing this years staff.

As always though, until Stearns stops making brilliant moves, I'll keep trusting him.

I wonder who they mean Gio ? Craig , Dallas

Well, they said that it wasn't Gio he was talking about. This could be a tease with nothing to it, but it's exciting.

Trying to think who I'd rather see them sign. I think I'm in the minority and would rather see Kimbrel signed for big money and Gio signed to a cheap one year deal. I just really like the idea of getting Hader back into the role of using him when it's most important and further away from using him as a closer.

Edit-I mean to say Kimbrel as opposed to Kuechel if both could be had for just one year deals.

Still, regardless of this individual being right about Moose, doesn't mean he's right here and it also says "close." Close can fall apart quickly.

No matter what, I hope it's a ONE year deal, maybe with a team option. I want to keep the young guys in the rotation and we'e got so many young relievers SHOULD be ready to step in next year with big time stuff that I'd hate to see a lot of money from next years budget allocated to fixing this years staff.

As always though, until Stearns stops making brilliant moves, I'll keep trusting him.

IMO if it is kimbrel it won’t be for 1 yr, he’s reportedly asking for 3 yrs., and that’s ok. This year’s salary will be prorated so take off 1/6. Then IF the pen looks strong with the possibility of knebel, you trade him at next yrs deadline. So essentially you get a better version of knebel til Corey is back.

Adding kimbrel would be like adding another Josh Hader. Just from the rt. Side. Statistically they are almost identical.

The starting rotation as the yr progresses will get stronger without outside help.

The answere to the crew getting to the series is a bullpen that can neutralize a 200 mil offensive powerhouse dodger team, just like last year only with a better offense and starting staff.

Archived