Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-19: Dodgers (Stripling) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers lose, 5-3 -- Hader allows go ahead HR in 8th inning]

Eye Black
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s now been 29 innings since a position player other than Yelich has driven in a run.

Yelich is currently on pace for 235 RBI this season and we might need every one of them.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Brewers have wiped out the edge from the 7-1 start.

In the ups and downs of the season hopefully this will be a short down, but it's rough when the starting pitching, bullpen, and hitting all slump at the same time.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Well if any pitcher on the Dodgers is capable of sparking a big inning for the Brewers it’s Kelly.

On the other hand, the way the Brewers offense (minus Yelich) is hitting they are a perfect tonic for a struggling pitcher. They are striking out at an alarming rate.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The Brewers have wiped out the edge from the 7-1 start.

In the ups and downs of the season hopefully this will be a short down, but it's rough when the starting pitching, bullpen, and hitting all slump at the same time.

Unfortunately it's starting to feel like only the hitting is "slumping."

At least if someone reaches in the 9th Yelich will have a chance to extend it (assuming the bullpen is able to hold the Dodgers scoreless in the top).

EDIT: Admittedly a big assumption.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So...Kimbrel anyone?

In all seriousness, this feels like worst-case scenario for Brewers pitching. Every pitcher not named Davies is demonstrably worse than last year. Choose whatever explanation you like—DJ is gone/Hook sucks, regression to the mean, juiced balls, launch angle revolution—the staff is absolutely plagued by long ball issues, and pitch location is all over the map. If the team hopes to compete, the pitchers can’t continue this trend. Arguably, they can’t really be this bad, but we all hoped that was true after each Burnes start, and he just kept getting worse. I’m in the irrational “don’t just stand there, do something” phase of fandom, and so I get its irrational and I’d feel differently after a three-game win streak, so I’m going to keep baseball off tomorrow and cleanse the system.

But I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t have this thought on my mind as I try and sleep tonight: what if they sign Kimbrel/Keuchel, and this team only wins 80 games anyway because the staff really is this bad? Nightmare fuel...

Shaw let's a 3-0 pitch right down the middle at 97 go by without even having himself in a position to swing the bat and promptly strikes out two pitches later.

I don't feel like I'm exaggerating here when I say that over the course of the past week, I've seen Travis Shaw swing right through about two dozen very hittable pitches. So hittable that the moment they left the pitchers' hands I saw Shaw gearing up as if he was going to knock it into the 2nd deck. Whiff.

So...Kimbrel anyone?

In all seriousness, this feels like worst-case scenario for Brewers pitching. Every pitcher not named Davies is demonstrably worse than last year. Choose whatever explanation you like—DJ is gone/Hook sucks, regression to the mean, juiced balls, launch angle revolution—the staff is absolutely plagued by long ball issues, and pitch location is all over the map. If the team hopes to compete, the pitchers can’t continue this trend. Arguably, they can’t really be this bad, but we all hoped that was true after each Burnes start, and he just kept getting worse. I’m in the irrational “don’t just stand there, do something” phase of fandom, and so I get its irrational and I’d feel differently after a three-game win streak, so I’m going to keep baseball off tomorrow and cleanse the system.

But I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t have this thought on my mind as I try and sleep tonight: what if they sign Kimbrel/Keuchel, and this team only wins 80 games anyway because the staff really is this bad? Nightmare fuel...

With Vizcaino hurt I would bet on Kimbrel ending up on the Braves.

So...Kimbrel anyone?

The biggest nightmare right now is honestly the offense. Who is playing well? You have the old rocks in Yelich and Cain, and Grandal has delivered. Braun is Mendoza right now, our corners are embarrassing themselves. Moose has managed to be productive by getting power hits but he's not exactly hitting well.

Too many problems to count right now.

Archived