Brewer Fanatic

What's an average OBP and OPS?

I may be an idiot but this is the first time I ever have asked dumb questions about stats. I have been a lifelong baseball fan, mostly concentrating on the actual mechanics players are undergoing on the field and never really concentrated much on OBP, OPS and SLG.

I understand what a good batting average is and all of that stuff... but what is considered an "average" OBP and OPS?

EDIT: Changed the title so users know what the threads about. - cth

league average OBP is usually right around .330. OPS is a little trickier because you generally tie it to position. .800 is a benchmark for most offensive positions you should be able to get atleast that much production. For middle infielders and catchers the number drops to more like .740- .750 for a respectable starter.

My guess is that if you were to check more recent years, you might find yourself doing a slightly downward adjustment on igor67's OPS numbers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Average batting line for every PA in 2006:

.269 BA, .337 OBP, .432 SLG, .768 OPS

That includes pitchers, backups... everything.

Here's the averages by position (including backups):

LINK

If you want a better feel for average stats by position for starters, go to ESPN.com and look at the qualified players. Here's NL qualified SS this year, sorted by OPS:

LINK

Archived