Brewer Fanatic

Drew Rasmussen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great read there. He threw 11 innings in A+ and they wanted to get him stiffer competition. He's thrown 37ip in AA now and with around 8wks left in the season I'd have to think it makes sense to give him a taste of AAA heading into next season. If the Brewers weren't competitive I think we'd see his MLB debut this year. I can see them giving him 50 innings in AA then moving him to AAA, which should allow for him to get around 25 innings there. All goes well he just might push for a pen spot in spring training.

Great read there. He threw 11 innings in A+ and they wanted to get him stiffer competition. He's thrown 37ip in AA now and with around 8wks left in the season I'd have to think it makes sense to give him a taste of AAA heading into next season. If the Brewers weren't competitive I think we'd see his MLB debut this year. I can see them giving him 50 innings in AA then moving him to AAA, which should allow for him to get around 25 innings there. All goes well he just might push for a pen spot in spring training.

I think the only chance he'd have of making it to the big leagues this year is if the Brewers were competitive and they felt he had enough innings left. I doubt they'd risk him throwing in the big leagues if the games didn't matter.

I don't think we'll see him either way, but challenging for a playoff spot is the most likely scenario.

• 2 months later...
He had a great comeback year. I just hope he did not get hurt that last game. I look for big things from him as long as he can stay healthy.

I second that. Just hoping it was one of those games and not injury.

Let us also hope it wasn't a matter of the bright lights/ big stage getting to him.

Its part of the reason I think making the post-season in the minors is important - getting more experience dealing with the highest pressure situations. An issue with big pressure situations now does not condemn Drew (or any player) to struggles in those situations throughout his/ their future, but finding a way to replicate those situations is much more difficult.

• 2 months later...

I have always had the feeling he’d ultimately be pegged for the pen. It’d be really interesting if he kept working up starter’s innings and development. In the end, that would probably still surprise me but it would be a very interesting development.

As much as our system gets dogged on, we have some bright pitching prospects with the likes of Small, Kelly, Ashby, and Rasmussen at the top.

I have always had the feeling he’d ultimately be pegged for the pen. It’d be really interesting if he kept working up starter’s innings and development. In the end, that would probably still surprise me but it would be a very interesting development.

As much as our system gets dogged on, we have some bright pitching prospects with the likes of Small, Kelly, Ashby, and Rasmussen at the top.

Most of those guys are in A+ or below. You need some serious draft pedigree to get national notoriety in the lower levels regardless of stuff/tools/results. Usually lower draft picks that show improved stuff/tools and/or strong results don't start getting noticed until AA or higher.

Archived