Brewer Fanatic

Drew Rasmussen

Or he's catching up to where an early pick used on a college aged pitcher would be if he didn't miss extra time with the 2nd TJ. He's 24 in 2 months.

Nice seeing that they trust his pitch count over 50.

You're picking a weird hill to die on here. A 24 year old minor league arm off TJ that's wrecking every level. I remember CC having very favorable comments about his arm in ST. He may not make the majors this year, but very strong chance we see him in AAA at the rate he's going...possibly after only a couple more starts.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or he's catching up to where an early pick used on a college aged pitcher would be if he didn't miss extra time with the 2nd TJ. He's 24 in 2 months.

You're picking a weird hill to die on here. A 24 year old minor league arm off TJ that's wrecking every level. I remember CC having very favorable comments about his arm in ST. He may not make the majors this year, but very strong chance we see him in AAA at the rate he's going...possibly after only a couple more starts.

The nature of hype. When its high its almost always too high. When it swings the other way its typically too drastic. I'm not killing the guy, I have my concerns and I'm sitting in rational territory. Thrilled to have him in the system. Not buying the 2019 playoff secret weapon stuff.

For his age, he's getting promoted aggressively like he should be. I even called the promotion to Biloxi between his last A+ game and the AA promotion.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The nature of hype. When its high its almost always too high. When it swings the other way its typically too drastic. I'm not killing the guy, I have my concerns and I'm sitting in rational territory. Thrilled to have him in the system. Not buying the 2019 playoff secret weapon stuff.

For his age, he's getting promoted aggressively like he should be. I even called the promotion to Biloxi between his last A+ game and the AA promotion.

I actually think you guys agree but don't realize it yet.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So is Kirby gonna be ready for a full season team any time soon? He pitched last year, so what happened?

So...just gotta assume that nobody on here knows what's going on with Kirby?

That's a shame. Gotta feel bad for that kid. He keeps fighting to get back and keeps getting knocked down by one issue or another.

Hopefully, he is able to make it back this year and at least get into some games and put himself in position next year to fly through the system as Rasmussen has.

I doubt many people thought Rasmussen would be primed to make an impact on the Brewers BP at the start of Spring Training this year, but here he is, dominating at AA.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Looking at the pipeline grades, a little taken aback by their overall 45 grade.

FB > 70. SL > 55 CH > 45 Control > 50 Overall > 45

Seems ridiculously low. With better than average control of 3 pitches, would of thought 50/55 as a min.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looking at the pipeline grades, a little taken aback by their overall 45 grade.

FB > 70. SL > 55 CH > 45 Control > 50 Overall > 45

Seems ridiculously low. With better than average control of 3 pitches, would of thought 50/55 as a min.

He has 27 innings in his professional career. I'm sure they want to see more before moving those projections up. There's been plenty of young guns who have shot up quickly then flamed out. Considering he went from unranked all the way to #15, I would say they like his status as a prospect.

• 2 weeks later...
Earlier today on https://www.mlb.com/brewers/prospects/stats/affiliates, I saw that Rasmussen was listed as the starter for the AA game tonight, but looks like Cam Roegner is starting instead. Any word?

Rasmussen came on in relief...

Not a good outing in relief, but I think it interesting that he did pitch a couple innings out of the pen.

In a thread largely filled with helium and hope, Rasmussen's last four outings kind of tell us that the measured approach is often best with prospects. I highly doubt he'll be in Milwaukee this year and that's not a setback. That's the developmental curve for most top level prospects moving their way up.

His peripherals are not even that bad at AA. Hits and HRs are low and big strikeout numbers. Just needs to work on the walks. But I agree, the only chance he had at Milwaukee this year is if he pitched so crazy well that the Brewers just could not ignore it. I doubt they want to have him pitch late in the year after not playing the last two years.

Rasmussen with another rough outing in AA. To piggyback on the above comment and a previous one from Homer, I am still very high on him and the stuff is still there. Ultimately many of us have very similar opinions of him, it is very impressive that he has been able to move up all the way to AA in his first season of professional ball. I just think it was a little aggressive to think he would pitch in Milwaukee this year.

I just think it was a little aggressive to think he would pitch in Milwaukee this year.

I still think it's a possibility if that's the way the Brewers want to proceed. And if that's the way the Brewers want to proceed, we'll start seeing him in shorter outings. I say that because his struggles pretty much started after the Brewers pushed him to 75 pitches.

If the Brewers' intent is to keep him on track as a starter, we won't see him in Milwaukee.

I thought it was tough to imagine him in Milwaukee personally, but moreso related to his injury than performance. Considering how young he is, it probably makes more sense to keep him on a set routine in an environment where results aren't the only thing that matters. Maybe he could come up in September I guess when we have expanded rosters, but I think generally better to keep him in an environment where we can control his pitch counts a bit better while he works his way back.

I just think it was a little aggressive to think he would pitch in Milwaukee this year.

I still think it's a possibility if that's the way the Brewers want to proceed. And if that's the way the Brewers want to proceed, we'll start seeing him in shorter outings. I say that because his struggles pretty much started after the Brewers pushed him to 75 pitches.

If the Brewers' intent is to keep him on track as a starter, we won't see him in Milwaukee.

If they think he can be a starter then it's probably better that they rule out the idea of him pitching out of the pen for the Brewers this year entirely. He's too talented and with 2 TJ injuries, it probably doesn't make much sense to have him working out of the pen this year, his first year back after back to back TJ surgeries and then go back to starting next year.

I believe the way they are pitching him, later in games, for 1-2 inning stints out of the pen, that they are leaving open the possibility of a call-up before September, of course, depending on if he is able to show the brewers what they want to see out of him over these next two months.

Could also mean that they are trying to limit his innings this year.

Or it could mean that it's taking more pitches for him to get through a few innings while he's struggled the last few outings?

Most likely, it means both. They're limiting his innings and he'd be going another inning or two if he was getting through an inning on 12 pitches like he was earlier in the year.

• 2 weeks later...
Second good outing in a row, seems to do much better starting.

3 ip 1 h 0 r 0 bb 4 Ks

I think it's academic at this point. He likely knows when he's coming in well in advance. It's not like they're telling him to hurry up and get warmed up. When they know he's going to pitch, he probably knows well in advance at what point he's going to be coming into the game. So his routine is the same as when he's starting.

I wouldn't draw any conclusion based on starting or piggy-backing with another pitcher. It's pretty much the same.

Second good outing in a row, seems to do much better starting.

3 ip 1 h 0 r 0 bb 4 Ks

I think it's academic at this point. He likely knows when he's coming in well in advance. It's not like they're telling him to hurry up and get warmed up. When they know he's going to pitch, he probably knows well in advance at what point he's going to be coming into the game. So his routine is the same as when he's starting.

I wouldn't draw any conclusion based on starting or piggy-backing with another pitcher. It's pretty much the same.

Well then let me word it differently, his statistics, although small sample, are better starting out the game.

Archived