Brewer Fanatic

Drew Rasmussen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rass with another nice (short) start today. Keep up the good work!

4/17

4/23

4/28

5/3??? seems about right.

3 IP or 50 pitches whichever comes first seems to be the pattern.

It'll be interesting to see if that trend continues. If they start to slowly stretch him out, I would imagine its with the thought of keeping him in line as a rotation prospect. If the 3 IP or 50 pitch limits continue, you can draw the conclusion that they are viewing him as a multi-inning pen option. If it's the former, great, starting pitching prospect. If it's the latter, though, we could eventually see him tossing big league innings in August.

Houser in 2017 came back in July and then played in the Fall League, and looks like he never went above 3 IP or 50 pitches for that entire season. Then in 2018 he still was eased into a starting role and didn't really get up to the 80 pitch range until near the end of the year. And this was after only 1 TJ for Houser, I believe (unless he had one before he was a Brewer).

With 2 TJ's already on his relatively young arm, my guess is Rassmussen never gets above 3-4 IP or 50-60 pitches this entire season, even if they intend to eventually stretch him out as a starter next year. This really doesn't preclude him from getting to the pros this year as a reliever, but I think the need would have to be pretty great considering I doubt they want him going multiple days in a row this year.

Probably should just enjoy his rehab year and dream on lengthier outings and better results for next year. Or I could be completely wrong.

Houser in 2017 came back in July and then played in the Fall League, and looks like he never went above 3 IP or 50 pitches for that entire season. Then in 2018 he still was eased into a starting role and didn't really get up to the 80 pitch range until near the end of the year. And this was after only 1 TJ for Houser, I believe (unless he had one before he was a Brewer).

With 2 TJ's already on his relatively young arm, my guess is Rassmussen never gets above 3-4 IP or 50-60 pitches this entire season, even if they intend to eventually stretch him out as a starter next year. This really doesn't preclude him from getting to the pros this year as a reliever, but I think the need would have to be pretty great considering I doubt they want him going multiple days in a row this year.

Probably should just enjoy his rehab year and dream on lengthier outings and better results for next year. Or I could be completely wrong.

Agree the need would have to great, and guessing that it will. If they pitch him, it could be 2-3 inning stints, 30-40 pitches max with 3 days rest. Could still be a real weapon.

I'm not all that convinced that two Tommy John surgeries is as catastrophic as others believe. At least when it comes to younger guys who have it, they never really get back to 100 pct and they need to have it again. That suggests to me a problem with the replaced ligament or rehab, rushing back too quickly.

I think it's a lot different if you have one when you're 28 and then another, when you're 36 like Capuano, did for example(I'm just throwing out hypothetical ages). The rest of your arm has a lot more wear and tear on it, the pitchers older and you're less likely at that point to come back.

Anyway, if they keep him at a 3 IP or 50 pitch max this year, that's fine. He can do that in Milwaukee. I'd probably shorten that up a bit and watch him closer as he's likely to exert more effort throwing in the big leagues than the minors. But even if he just throws 4 innings a week. That's 6 more outs by a quality pitcher at the end of the year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's getting pretty plainly obvious that they see him as a potential MLB pen addition this year. The question is going to be if they see him as exclusively a multi-inning reliever going forward, or if a return to starting is in the cards next year. In either case, it appears that the Brewers may have gotten the steal of the 2018 draft with Rasmussen.

It's getting pretty plainly obvious that they see him as a potential MLB pen addition this year. The question is going to be if they see him as exclusively a multi-inning reliever going forward, or if a return to starting is in the cards next year. In either case, it appears that the Brewers may have gotten the steal of the 2018 draft with Rasmussen.

They could obviously use someone with his profile in the pen this year, and he obviously just doesn't have the innings load right now to start for a full season, but with how he's looked so far it's hard to say they should take a 1st-round-talent arm and not even consider him as a starter moving forward.

Would be interesting at this point to see the history of guys with two TJs at such a young age and what their careers have been like. How many comps are there for Rasmussen in this department?

I think there's a 19-yr old SS in Appleton right now that will provide competition for being the steal of the 2019 draft, too.

Great to see Rasmussen climbing the ladder quickly. I particularly enjoy going back through some of the preseason prospect lists for the Brewers that resulted in them being listed near the bottom of farm system rankings - Rasmussen isn't even included on many of the Brewers' preseason top 30-35 prospect lists. As long as he's healthy, keep him climbing!

Not his best outing today giving up two doubles a run and a hit bitter in two innings of work. Still great to have him in the organization but there will be speed bumps along the way.

I think there's a 19-yr old SS in Appleton right now that will provide competition for being the steal of the 2019 draft, too.

Great to see Rasmussen climbing the ladder quickly. I particularly enjoy going back through some of the preseason prospect lists for the Brewers that resulted in them being listed near the bottom of farm system rankings - Rasmussen isn't even included on many of the Brewers' preseason top 30-35 prospect lists. As long as he's healthy, keep him climbing!

I had him in my top 10, his reports out of spring training, CC’s comments said it all.

They could obviously use someone with his profile in the pen this year, and he obviously just doesn't have the innings load right now to start for a full season, but with how he's looked so far it's hard to say they should take a 1st-round-talent arm and not even consider him as a starter moving forward.

Would be interesting at this point to see the history of guys with two TJs at such a young age and what their careers have been like. How many comps are there for Rasmussen in this department?

I think they make him a starter at some point after this year, just the fact of having 3 plus pitches with plus command, a rare bird indeed.

Two things stand out to me in this article. The first;

He was drafted by the Rays in the supplemental first round, but a post-draft physical revealed complications from the first Tommy John surgery so acute that he required a second elbow reconstruction that kept him out for all of the 2018 season.

I think that's better than having a second, separate injury. It's more encouraging.

The second part though, he wants to throw a slower pitch. Great. Wonderful. That'd likely make him much more dangerous. Too much velocity, not usually a problem, but if he could extend the range from 80-81 to 99, that's much better than 89-99.

But PLEASE tell me someone is encouraging him to go with the curveball and just not even try to screw around with the splitter. There's no reason for him to start throwing a splitter now. It's the worst pitch, puts the most strain on the elbow and forearm and it's just not necessary. Flip up a few curve balls. He's a pitcher, I'm sure he can already throw a curveball, it's probably just not developed.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

4 ip only 1 k.

Kinda of a pitch to contact game, little over 40 pitches. Maybe he just wanted to be efficient with his pitches?

The good: 1.5 ERA and 1 whip over his 1st 6 innings in AA

The hmmmm: 2 Ks?

The bad: Sample size alert but the GO/AO has fallen to 0.75. It was 1 or 1.25 the levels before.

Rasmussen has less than 20 IP as a pro and 6 IP above A-ball. His stats at the moment have almost no meaning beyond anecdotal observations.

The single most important thing is that his stuff is still there. He’s throwing 96-99 with a plus slider and usable changeup. That’s what will get him to Milwaukee.

The stats will fall into place.

Rasmussen has less than 20 IP as a pro and 6 IP above A-ball. His stats at the moment have almost no meaning beyond anecdotal observations.

The single most important thing is that his stuff is still there. He’s throwing 96-99 with a plus slider and usable changeup. That’s what will get him to Milwaukee.

Not arguing, but blowing 96-99 past youngins can happen when your FB is flat easier than it can as you climb. A slider can fool kids easier than more experienced batters. Any slow down makes you at least wonder how good his stuff is. If numbers kept being as seismic you jump him up again. If they taper off a bit, you pause a bit. All I'm doing is wondering and pausing a bit. He has the arm talent. Deception and movement matter and we don't know to what degree he has that.

Not arguing, but blowing 96-99 past youngins can happen when your FB is flat easier than it can as you climb. A slider can fool kids easier than more experienced batters. Any slow down makes you at least wonder how good his stuff is. If numbers kept being as seismic you jump him up again. If they taper off a bit, you pause a bit. All I'm doing is wondering and pausing a bit. He has the arm talent. Deception and movement matter and we don't know to what degree he has that.

The point of the minor leagues isn't necessarily to demonstrate how good you already are. The point is to develop. I don't think anybody is saying that Rasmussen could come up to the Majors tomorrow and completely blow everyone away. This is his first taste of pro ball and the organization clearly has enough confidence in his stuff to promote him twice in short order, probably because they think he isn't really going to develop or learn much more in A ball. But at some point, he's going to need time to develop his offerings, and he's also pitched like 6 innings at AA so far. Even as small sample size warnings go, that's a pretty damn small sample size.

Hopefully those first 6 IP without striking out 18 in AA don't prevent his name from finding a way to get on the list of top 30 Brewer prospects at the end of this year...he sure wasn't good enough to be on the list this preseason!

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-32-prospects-milwaukee-brewers/

I really do hope Rasmussen stays healthy, because he's a big league pitcher.

I'm sure other organizations have guys like this in their system that are question marks only due to injury concerns, and when they prove to be healthy they just fly up the system ladder without receiving much of any love from the BAs or MLB Pipelines of the world because there just wasn't enough time to write about him - but I do find it comical that scouting services who put these type of prospect rankings together can't find a way to put a guy with this kind of arm talent somewhere in the top 30 of a system that's supposedly below par. It's not like they picked this guy up from a supermarket and gave him a ball and were shocked he was hitting upper 90's with command.

Community Moderator

Rasmussen did get a mention among the others of note section in the FG write up of the system for whatever that is or isn't worth.

Putting together prospect lists is about taking into account the full range of potential outcomes & weighing them against each other based upon their individual likelihoods. I'd say Drew's performed within the top 1-5% of potential outcomes thus far which means there was a 95-99% chance he wouldn't.

Even though Drew is obviously talented, he had yet to throw a professional IP, didn't pitch at all in 2018 & only 64 total innings in 2016-17 on account of two different elbow procedures.

He came in at #23 on the preseason poll here & only made 7 of 27 ballots. Four of those ballots had him in the top seven, three had him between 15-24 & twenty had him outside the top 25. That is a pretty good microcosm of the wide range of potential outcomes entering the season.

Rasmussen did get a mention among the others of note section in the FG write up of the system for whatever that is or isn't worth.

Putting together prospect lists is about taking into account the full range of potential outcomes & weighing them against each other based upon their individual likelihoods. I'd say Drew's performed within the top 1-5% of potential outcomes thus far which means there was a 95-99% chance he wouldn't.

Even though Drew is obviously talented, he had yet to throw a professional IP, didn't pitch at all in 2018 & only 64 total innings in 2016-17 on account of two different elbow procedures.

He came in at #23 on the preseason poll here & only made 7 of 27 ballots. Four of those ballots had him in the top seven, three had him between 15-24 & twenty had him outside the top 25. That is a pretty good microcosm of the wide range of potential outcomes entering the season.

I’m one that had him in my top 7, I think 7th if I remember correctly, for CC to single this guy out in ST, to say how impressive he was, and then the crew activating him for the T Rat game at miller park to make his debut really let’s me know how highly they think of him. He’s now my #1 and it’s not close.

Archived