Brewer Fanatic

Drew Rasmussen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good news on Rasmussen! Three strong innings in a start at Carolina last night. This after two scoreless innings in Wisconsin last wee. Maybe we have got something out of these reclamation projects?

I ranked him high (#6) in my pre-2019 Brewers Top 25 Prospects list, so yeah, I like him.

He has really good stuff and a really high ceiling.

I think he will be an MLB bullpen option sooner than later.

The question, can he stay healthy?

Probably have another future ace here.

Is this meant to be sarcasm or do you genuinely believe he's a future ace?

I get the sarcasm part because he's still only in A ball and he's had a lot of arm issues and then you throw in the word "another," when I don't think we've developed an ace since Sheets and I can see it being sarcasm(plus...you don't always have the sunniest disposition on here when it comes to projecting future prospects).

On the other hand, there's zero question with the stuff he's showing right now, he could be a future ace.

So I'm curious if you were being totally serious.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Also, ANY Kirby updates would be appreciated. Between the two, I'm thrilled just to see one of them getting their stuff back and having some success, but...damn, it'd be nice if both could. I remember hearing how Kirby was Williams rehab partner and then had to undergo another procedure, but Taylor's been back for a couple years now. Is Kirby at least still throwing simulated games in extended spring?

I get the sarcasm part because he's still only in A ball and he's had a lot of arm issues and then you throw in the word "another," when I don't think we've developed an ace since Sheets and I can see it being sarcasm(plus...you don't always have the sunniest disposition on here when it comes to projecting future prospects).

On the other hand, there's zero question with the stuff he's showing right now, he could be a future ace.

It's a joke that was basically pointing out that Brew crew 92 was saying we had 3 aces in Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta with another on the way in Nelson before the season started.

It's a joke that was basically pointing out that Brew crew 92 was saying we had 3 aces in Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta with another on the way in Nelson before the season started.

3 of the 4 will be tor. Nelson was and will be again this year. Woody Burnes might take a year or two, peralta don’t know cause of lack of command. Rasmussen another knebel.

Got it. I think people tend to underestimate how hard it is to actually get a guy with the ability to be an ace..and I've always said I believe there are several of those guys in every organization to actually get them up through the minors and to perform like an ace.

Also, what is an "ace?" I view an ace as an elite pitcher. Not top 30, but top 10-15. Scherzer, Degrom....Thor if he listens to the trainers, Buehler now, Kershaw the last decade.

Either way, I'll stand by what I said, we haven't produced an ace since Sheets and before that...what, Teddy Higura?

But it's fun as hell to watch a guy like Rasmussen going out there and putting up great numbers and being able to get that pitch count up while sitting in the upper 90's.

3 of the 4 will be tor. Nelson was and will be again this year. Woody Burnes might take a year or two, peralta don’t know cause of lack of command. Rasmussen another knebel.

Why would we pigeon hole a pitcher like Rasmussen into the role of a reliever right now? You talk about aces, he's actually got the stuff to be an ace. And if they're ramping his pitch count up(I'm pretty encouraged by 50 pitches right now) he's the guy who ACTUALLY could be an ace.

I think you're being really overly optimistic if you believe we'll have 3 TOR arms in this staff this year. It's been a loooong time since the Brewers have had that. I'm still pretty bullish on Burnes, Peralta was never likely going to be an ace(though I think he's better than he's shown thus far) and Woodruff could be a really solid #3 IMO. Burnes is the guy with the highest ceiling and that's probably not that of an ace. Though I'd be glad to be wrong.

Why would we pigeon hole a pitcher like Rasmussen into the role of a reliever right now? You talk about aces, he's actually got the stuff to be an ace. And if they're ramping his pitch count up(I'm pretty encouraged by 50 pitches right now) hesitant the guy who ACTUALLY could be an ace.

I think you're being really overly optimistic if you believe we'll have 3 TOR arms in this staff this year. It's been a loooong time since the Brewers have had that. I'm still pretty bullish on Burnes, Peralta was never likely going to be an ace(though I think he's better than he's shown thus far) and Woodruff could be a really solid #3 IMO. Burnes is the guy with the highest ceiling and that's probably not that of an ace. Though I'd be glad to be wrong.

Nelson this year, Burnes and woodruff year or two, not sure on peralta.

Rasmussen’s had 2 tjs and think they going to keep his pitches at or close to 50 pitches the whole year like they did with Taylor Williams a couple years ago. My knebel comparison was for this year. He’s not young, and will probably be in AA soon, if he’s continues to dominate at AA, why not call him up IF he’s needed.

Why would we pigeon hole a pitcher like Rasmussen into the role of a reliever right now? You talk about aces, he's actually got the stuff to be an ace. And if they're ramping his pitch count up(I'm pretty encouraged by 50 pitches right now) hesitant the guy who ACTUALLY could be an ace.

Nelson this year, Burnes and woodruff year or two, not sure on peralta.

Rasmussen’s had 2 tjs and think they going to keep his pitches at or close to 50 pitches the whole year like they did with Taylor Williams a couple years ago. My knebel comparison was for this year. He’s not young, and will probably be in AA soon, if he’s continues to dominate at AA, why not call him up IF he’s needed.

I think it's unrealistic to expect us to have 3 or 4 pitchers currently on the 40 man roster becoming aces in the near future.

I'll just leave it at that.

Mark it down. I agree with Brew crew 92. You need to try to use him while his arm is still good. Sooner you get him to Milw the better. Nothing says he cant be moved back to a starters role down the road.

I'm all for throwing him out there in a relief role this year. I don't agree just because he had a 1st TJ that didn't work and subsequently needed another that he has this limited # of bullets.

But I don't see anyone discounting him from helping our pen out this year.

It will be nice if one of those guys will become a true ace.

Nelson was so close to becoming one before that ill fated slide back to 1st.

Then it was maybe putting a little too much hope in a couple of young guys who had out performed expectations.

Right now, the guy in the title looks like the next best hope to become a legitimate ace and I'd place the odds at about 10 pct there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
So is Kirby gonna be ready for a full season team any time soon? He pitched last year, so what happened?

So...just gotta assume that nobody on here knows what's going on with Kirby?

It's always amusing, even irritating to me that will all the tidbits that we provide that somehow folks think we're holding out / keeping information to ourselves.

You assume correctly.

So is Kirby gonna be ready for a full season team any time soon? He pitched last year, so what happened?

So...just gotta assume that nobody on here knows what's going on with Kirby?

It's always amusing, even irritating to me that will all the tidbits that we provide that somehow folks think we're holding out / keeping information to ourselves.

You assume correctly.

I really apologize if you took that from my post. I really, really did not mean to infer that you were keeping something from anyone. I'd just asked a couple times and after not getting my answer, I honestly took it to mean that nobody had an update on Kirby.

I don't know if there are people who think you're keeping info to yourself, but don't count me among them. The work people put in on the minor league forums is probably the biggest thing that differentiates this board from every other. It's just with so much info and so many people following these things so closely, I'd hoped someone would have an update.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

No problem, that's on me for using the word irritating. Maybe bemused would have been better :).

And of course, it's not just Toby and I locating updates and linking to them here. We have several posters who keep things timely and link to informative sources elsewhere.

Archived