Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-17: Cardinals (Wacha) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 6-3 -- Burnes’ struggles continue]

Eye Black
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
79 mph EV, 72 mph (Really, really should have been caught), and then a groundball that sneaks through. Really not having any luck, or getting any help.

True, that ball needs to be caught.

That said, that last out by Carpenter was smoked and luck and positioning were definitely on our side there.

The FB and slider both look good though. you'd think have to start throwing off speed pitches though. He supposedly has a curve and a change. I know they might not be great at this point but they really don't need to be in order to keep the hitter honest.

Burnes needs to be in SA working on location. This isn't working. I'm extremely patient but just trotting him out there to give up moonshots over and over isn't helping anybody. I still think he's going to be good but something is off right now.

This isn't just missing your spots that's the issue. These are extremely hard hit HR, which makes me believe the batters were looking for the pitch in that location. Yelich, Braun (in his prime) and Goldschmidt miss fastballs over the plate when they aren't expecting them in a certain location. I wonder if the catchers are setting up too early and giving away pitch location? While Burnes could be tipping pitch type, location could be tipped by the catchers and the combination if deadly...

Brewers might be forced to do something with Burnes soon. It’s going to start to get in his head and you don’t want him to completely lose his confidence this early in his career. Whether it’s putting him in the bullpen or sending him down for a few starts, something is going to need to happen. I was the least concerned with Burnes of all 3 going into the year, but the results just aren’t there.

I am not really sure what the best option is here. The arms will eventually have to be in the rotation but both Burnes and Peralta look like they are boom or (mostly) bust right now. Problem is who do you start in their place given Guerra and Anderson aren't stretched out? I am beginning to wonder if the issue isn't Chris Hook. He really doesn't seem to have much of an answer to assist these guys.

1st pitch to Ozuna this AB is exactly why he's struggling - Grandal sets up off the plate outside for a slider, Burnes proceeds to groove it middle middle and gets lucky Ozuna is salivating too much and pulls it into the stands. it's not the catcher tipping locations, Burnes is missing too much and missing into either places in the zone hitters can do damage or so far out of the zone he doesn't draw swings and misses. Plus, most everything is hard and within 7mph of his best fastball - so hitters aren't really ever caught off balance against him. It's rare that when guys make contact that it's weak.

I was definitely the least concerned with Woodruff, but I was most concerned with Peralta. I figured Burnes would have struggle days and end up somewhere between 4.25-4.75 on the year. I don't think you can move him to the pen so fast, but he needs to figure out what's going on, probably not in Milwaukee.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am not really sure what the best option is here. The arms will eventually have to be in the rotation but both Burnes and Peralta look like they are boom or (mostly) bust right now. Problem is who do you start in their place given Guerra and Anderson aren't stretched out? I am beginning to wonder if the issue isn't Chris Hook. He really doesn't seem to have much of an answer to assist these guys.

Is the current Chris Hook different than the Chris Hook that worked with these guys for years in the minors, where they saw large degrees of success? Hook isn't the reason Burnes and Peralta are missing their spots.

Is the current Chris Hook different than the Chris Hook that worked with these guys for years in the minors, where they saw large degrees of success? Hook isn't the reason Burnes and Peralta are missing their spots.

Maybe not but the trips to the mound really haven't helped nor have they made adjustments between starts. Have to believe its a combination of mechanics (which Hook should be helping with) and confidence (which really comes down to the pitcher).

Archived