Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-16: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 8-4 -- Woodruff stellar on the mound and at the plate; Just another Yelich HR]

Eye Black
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I saw somewhere that Brewers are waiting to see what Jeffress looks like before committing to Kimbrel. This better not be the case. It doesn't matter what he looks like they need him badly. You cannot have a bullpen this bad and get where we want to go.

If they get him, great. If they don't .. they'll figure it out. In any case, the "OMG the Brewers need KIMBREL!" talk is getting kind of annoying.

Let's not let the facts get in the way of you being annoyed right? Ok.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So I saw somewhere that Brewers are waiting to see what Jeffress looks like before committing to Kimbrel. This better not be the case. It doesn't matter what he looks like they need him badly. You cannot have a bullpen this bad and get where we want to go.

If they get him, great. If they don't .. they'll figure it out. In any case, the "OMG the Brewers need KIMBREL!" talk is getting kind of annoying.

The only fact that matters is this team is sitting at 12-6, and the "OMG THE BULLPEN IS HORRIBLE" talk is being blown way out of proportion.

The Brewers needing Kimbrel is not a fact. They're 12 - 6 without him. The bullpen could use improvement, but they seem to be winning games, and that's with Shaw, Aguilar, and Braun not hitting worth a lick.

Kimbrel isn't the difference between this team being in first or not. He'd be a nice add, but if it's at a huge price, nah. There is no slam dunk guarantee he makes the team significantly more likely to be the best team in the NL.

Every thread doesn't need to be about Kimbrel...

Also, they don't NEED the bullpen to be as great as the late last season version. Every team is different. Last year they had to win a lot of games 3-2. Not this year. They have and will win a lot of games 8-4, 7-5, etc. with this lineup.

The thing about price is why do Brewers fans care about the price? Brewers have the money. They can spend it and increase the odds of winning it all. Who thinks signing Kimbrel lowers the odds of them winning? I don't get it at all. The guy makes them the clear favorite to win it all short of acquiring a stud starting pitcher.

The thing about price is why do Brewers fans care about the price? Brewers have the money. They can spend it and increase the odds of winning it all. Who thinks signing Kimbrel lowers the odds of them winning? I don't get it at all. The guy makes them the clear favorite to win it all short of acquiring a stud starting pitcher.

That's the rub. The team obviously doesn't have infinite financial resources at its disposal. What happens if they sign Kimbrel, then they don't have the financial flexibility to make the deals at the deadline they'd like to? I don't think Stearns has a strict cap he's gotta stay under, but he's not giving out blank checks either. Would Kimbrel make the pen stronger? Yes, possibly. The clear favorite? That's a stretch.

The Cubs paid even more money to acquire Darvish than Kimbrel will receive, how did it impact their ability to win it all? How did having Yu's dead money (or Hayward's? or Chatwood's?) on the books impact their ability to spend this offseason?

Spending money on Kimbrel doesn't guarantee we will get the desired result & if he gets hurt (declining velocity/results as last year went on & lots of IP over the years are red flags) it could hamstring us in the future.

That's the rub. The team obviously doesn't have infinite financial resources at its disposal. What happens if they sign Kimbrel, then they don't have the financial flexibility to make the deals at the deadline they'd like to? I don't think Stearns has a strict cap he's gotta stay under, but he's not giving out blank checks either.

I do get that. I think it is a unique situation and a unique opportunity. A guy of this caliber isn't available for cash and a 4th round pick. No prospects lost. The need is obvious and the impact of having him and Hader sitting out there makes every game a short one for the opponents. Tough to see this opportunity missed.

Found our new closer.

This board is going to implode when Barnes gets the 9th tomorrow ;)

I don’t think I’ve ever been as big of a fan of him as I am now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Perception is a funny thing. I don’t know what Shildt was complaining about, but I saw this post on the St. Louis board:

“You have a six run lead Counsel; get this game over with”

What did Counsell do but ask for an explanation of what Shildt was complaining about?

Anyone hear any clarification on the weird exchange between Counsell and Schildt in the 7th (I think)?

This is pure speculation on my part, and honestly this doesn’t make much sense to me, but I think Yadier Molina was up when that happened. Perhaps the scoreboard still showed him as the catcher, but I noticed later in the inning that he was moved to 1b in a double switch. I don’t know why Schildt would argue that the scoreboard had it wrong showing that Goldschmidt was still in the game at first and Wieters was not in the game. To make this theory less likely, I don’t know why Counsell would complain that Goldschmidt was being taken out of the game.

Another possible guess is perhaps Schildt made the double switch during the at bat, something I’ve never seen before. While unconventional, Schildt did make a non-injury pitching change after 1 pitch in an at bat yesterday, so maybe it’s just something he does.

Either way, it’s great to give the Cardinals their 10,000th loss and here’s hoping for loss 10,001 for them tomorrow!

Arcia has hit 3 HRs which is 2 more than Aguilar and Shaw Combined. 7RBIs on his vs their 10 total. It's an early season and Arcia like in this game has at least contributed more often than I can think of. Grandal should begin hitting 3rd with how bad Braun/Shaw/Aguilar are to this point. Moose 4th.

I know I'm late here, and I echo all those who think the Brewers need to address the pen sooner rather than later, but we're all just assuming we get all-time great peak Kimbrel. He was NOT that the 2nd half of last year and he really wasn't that in the post-season. He was worse than Jeffress in the post-season. I don't think he blew any saves(could be wrong) but his ERA was north of 6 and worse than that, his control was awful. You can get away with poor command when you have his stuff, not just poor control.

That's why I wouldn't even broach the possibility of a multi year deal for him. One year or nothing. But you're ultimately right. We don't have a thing to do with it one way or the other. Also, Stearns isn't stupid. He knows this team isn't as good as it's record, but it's record has afforded them some leeway. Plus the struggles of the Cubs...and I WOULD say the Cards, but they're 8-2 vs everyone other team.

That's the rub. The team obviously doesn't have infinite financial resources at its disposal. What happens if they sign Kimbrel, then they don't have the financial flexibility to make the deals at the deadline they'd like to? I don't think Stearns has a strict cap he's gotta stay under, but he's not giving out blank checks either. Would Kimbrel make the pen stronger? Yes, possibly. The clear favorite? That's a stretch.

I would go a step further and say absolutely not. Talent wise, the Brewers are not on the same level as the Dodgers or even Nats in my opinion. Doesn't mean you can't win, but those teams are both more talented.

Both teams have pitchers who would be the best in Milwaukee history right now, they both have multiple other starters who are extremely talented in Strausburg, Corbin, Buehler, Ryu and others and they can both mash.

Of course it's also more than "possible," that Kimbrel would make the Pen stronger than it is. It's a near certainty. But it has to be one year. If the Brewers want to "get stupid," spending money, they can dole out the type of money Kimbrel is looking for, but add a little bit to pick up one of the stud starters that's going to be a free agent this off-season. Bring Cole back to the division. But we don't need 3 years of Kimbrel. Not with all the talent we'll have in the pen in the upcoming seasons.

Arcia has hit 3 HRs which is 2 more than Aguilar and Shaw Combined. 7RBIs on his vs their 10 total. It's an early season and Arcia like in this game has at least contributed more often than I can think of. Grandal should begin hitting 3rd with how bad Braun/Shaw/Aguilar are to this point. Moose 4th.

10 days ago Moose had an OBP of .270. Numbers change real quickly this early in the season. Shaw's given us back to back 4 WAR seasons.

If CC wants to flip them, that's fine, and Grandal is certainly a worthy #3 hitter on this team.

I'm not worried about any of those three hitting this year. I just want to see Aguilar get back into that rhythm he was in last year. He's not a fluke, he didn't get lucky, but you can see with him it's mental. When he's jumping at pitches, he's not a good hitter. When he's just trying to make contact he's a stud. I think the big guy will get on a run and help carry this team.

Just sorta a comment due to the many hate posts on Arcia for his start. He's at or a little above my expectations having 3HRs thus far. Shaw/Aguilar? Those two should be outproducing Moose imo. Clearly neither are. That deserves the hate.

I know someone will chime in on Braun, but he's the one past his prime at 35. Shaw/Aguilar at supposed to be at it's peak right now.

Archived