Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-15: Cardinals (Hudson) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers win, 10-7 -- Christian Yelich gives away a puppy, hits 3 home runs, tallies 7 RBI, makes sliding and diving catches, sheepishly obliges to curtain call]

Eye Black
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These Brewer pitchers are putting on a show at the plate.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it catchers interference even on a check swing or just a ball? I don't think I've ever seen that before

This rule is somewhat vague.

6.01 © Catcher Interference

(6.08) The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when the catcher or any fielder interferes with him. If a play follows the interference, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to decline the interference penalty and accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, the play proceeds without reference to the interference.

Counsell early lead for manager of the year.

The fact that he didn’t win it a season ago is ridiculous.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wonder if we see Burnes at some point this game and call someone up to take his spot in the rotation when it comes around.

Think there’s about zero chance of that.

Especially since CC said he was defintely taking his turn when asked after his last outing.....

I wonder if we see Burnes at some point this game and call someone up to take his spot in the rotation when it comes around.

I wouldn't say that. Albers is already used, Anderson is probably not available after yesterday. Barnes went 2 yesterday so at best can pitch 1. Guerra pitched 2 of the past 3 days including a 2 IP game, so at best has 1 IP in him. They would probably prefer not to use either of them.

So we are really trying to get through 5 innings with Claudio, Hader, Wilson and Petricka. There is a decent chance a starter may have to face someone. Davies and Chacin pitched too recently. Woodruff was already used as a PH. That really just leaves Burnes as the emergency guy here.

I wouldn't say that. Albers is already used, Anderson is probably not available after yesterday. Barnes went 2 yesterday so at best can pitch 1. Guerra pitched 2 of the past 3 days including a 2 IP game, so at best has 1 IP in him. They would probably prefer not to use either of them.

So we are really trying to get through 5 innings with Claudio, Hader, Wilson and Petricka. There is a decent chance a starter may have to face someone. Davies and Chacin pitched too recently. Woodruff was already used as a PH. That really just leaves Burnes as the emergency guy here.

5 innings with 4 relievers and one is Hader. Don’t see an emergency...

Edit: Didn’t mean to be condescending, just really don’t see Burnes pitching tonight prior to at least the 12th inning. The Brewers have been adamant the young arms are staying in the rotation.

Sure if everything is smooth but if Wilson had struggled that inning, Carpenter came up so we had to use Claudio suddenly we are in that situation. Now that Wilson got through that inning with only 12 pitches and can pitch into the next one it is a lot less likely. It was a completely plausible thought though. The middle starter gets used in these situations by teams when they have these back to back super short starts like this. It isn't some sort of shocking statement.

Sure if everything is smooth but if Wilson had struggled that inning, Carpenter came up so we had to use Claudio suddenly we are in that situation. Now that Wilson got through that inning with only 12 pitches and can pitch into the next one it is a lot less likely. It was a completely plausible thought though. The middle starter gets used in these situations by teams when they have these back to back super short starts like this. It isn't some sort of shocking statement.

I edited my last post to not sound so snippy... think it would take extras for a starter to come into play. Hader alone could probably go 3 if needed... at least 2.

So I guess it's bad Peralta again.

This pitching staff is going to set all kinds of homerun records this year.

Yes, a pitching coach matters.

Brewers pitchers 2019

9.45 K9 3.66 BB9 1.86 HR9 5.27 ERA 5.07 FIP 4.28 xFIP

Reds pitchers 2019

9.41 K9 4.09 BB9 0.80 HR9 3.21 ERA 3.70 FIP 4.21 xFIP

Pretty much the only thing separating the Brewers pitchers from the Reds at this point is HR9, which is by far the flukiest & shows up in our near identical xFIPs. I'll go out on a limb & predict we won't allow 162 more HRs than CIN at season's end.

The most important number at this early juncture is still IP though. The Brewers have 140, the Reds 123. Far too early to draw any meaningful conclusions about pitching coaches & the effectiveness (or lack) thereof.

Reds have played two games less than the Brewers thus far with one game postponed and extra day off.

Archived