Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-15: Cardinals (Hudson) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers win, 10-7 -- Christian Yelich gives away a puppy, hits 3 home runs, tallies 7 RBI, makes sliding and diving catches, sheepishly obliges to curtain call]

Eye Black
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a huge Zack Brown fan but since when is he sitting 95-96 mph?

My impression was that he threw in the 92-93 range and relied more on command.

Maybe he's just adding a couple MPH as often happens when a starter moves to the pen.

He was 90-93 in Spring Training.

How confident are you that Jeffress is going to do that though? I wasn't that confident he'd do that before he went down with a shoulder issue and then got lit up in AAA. I also haven't heard what his velocity looks like.

But I am seriously doubtful that he's going to be anything close to last year's version and even then we're still down a couple arms.

I am hopeful Albers can pitch well this year though. I'd feel better if we had power arms in the minors who could be up this year to help us out, but we don't.

I don't really need to be confident. There is time to let it play out over the next few weeks. If Jeffress doesn't look good, if Nelson doesn't make it back then they trade for an arm around the all star break or they promote some young guys like last season. This isn't a big concern right now because there are quite a few plausible ways that it fixes itself. The only big concern I have for this team right now is how crappy the rotation has been, that is something hard to fix. If even 1 of the 3 young guys looked good I'd be more comfortable but all 3 look terrible.

There's no reason to wait though. That's the whole point. Even if BOTH things happen, Jeffress pitches like he did last year and Nelson somehow is able to come back and pitch like he did in 2017, we're still short in the pen.

Either way, I'm sure Stearns if exploring any and every trade option...as well as staying in touch with free agents.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe he's just adding a couple MPH as often happens when a starter moves to the pen.

If he was there in March, I think that would likely translate to 95 coming out of the pen.

In any case, it is a strong possibility that Brown and Houser would be upgrades for the pen.

93-95 against Toronto last exhibition game out of the pen. Curve is a plus pitch and command plus. Bulldog mentality. Gonna help us out of the pen this year.

Jacob Barnes and Taylor Williams: A Case Study on why high velocity doesn't necessarily equal success.

And/or how sometimes it takes some time, even if we don't like it.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

3-run lead you just pump the zone there. If he hits one out he hits one out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jacob Barnes and Taylor Williams: A Case Study on why high velocity doesn't necessarily equal success.

And/or how sometimes it takes some time, even if we don't like it.

You are right, especially with Williams. He doesn't really have enough of a track record to make much of a determination on. Barnes has been around awhile longer. Both are going to keep getting chances as long as they keep throwing hard.

[

If he was there in March, I think that would likely translate to 95 coming out of the pen.

In any case, it is a strong possibility that Brown and Houser would be upgrades for the pen.

Every report I just looked at had him topping out at 93. So sitting at 95-96, even moving from the rotation to the pen is probably pushing it.

Archived