Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-15: Cardinals (Hudson) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers win, 10-7 -- Christian Yelich gives away a puppy, hits 3 home runs, tallies 7 RBI, makes sliding and diving catches, sheepishly obliges to curtain call]

Eye Black
Yelich-Goldschmidt still would have been just amazing. Sorry to bring that back up but dang.

That lineup would have been murder. Man ... what could have been ...

It probably would have cost them someone like Woodruff (a guess), but it would have been at least one glorious offensive season indeed.

I don't think we could afford to lose Woodruff's bat............even for Goldy's.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a lot of "what if?" about us getting Goldschmidt, but were the Brewers EVER in on those talks? Why would the Brewers expend any serious amount of resources to get a first baseman when they have 2 solid 1B already? I know Aguilar is struggling, but the guy is coming off an all-star season, and Thames isn't exactly chopped liver.

I just have my doubts that the Brewers ever seriously considered pursuing Goldschmidt.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually say that we were. But I was the guy that started the thread that said we should pull the trigger and do it. Call it wishful thinking is all on my part. Would have been surreal. Would have dumped Thames and Aguilar in a minutes notice too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Two HRs, and he presents a puppy to a couple little kids pregame. That guy needs a cape ...

I saw him helping Nuns cross the road right before game time.

Add diving catch to the resume... and probably some more help for the nuns.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Two HRs, and he presents a puppy to a couple little kids pregame. That guy needs a cape ...

Add a diver and a sliding catch to that night lol

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yelich gave a "my bad." Perhaps he didn't call Arcia off. Obviously, the outfielder has priority, but maybe Yelich wasn't sure if he could get to the ball and never called off Arcia.

He initially misplayed it, taking a step back, then scrambled in--but you could see him calling him off a few step before he slid, it was just late. As soon as Arcia heard that he shoulda stopped or veered off course, but he kept going about two steps too far.

Yelich gave a "my bad." Perhaps he didn't call Arcia off. Obviously, the outfielder has priority, but maybe Yelich wasn't sure if he could get to the ball and never called off Arcia.

I don’t think he really called him off...or at least didn’t do so loudly. Yelich had it...easily, if he wanted to. Maybe he assumed Arcia would get it because he was running in real slow like he was a spectator, but once he realized Arcia wasn’t going to have a easy play kicked it into high gear.

I agree with you 100 pct, but at the same time, there are plenty of spots that you know you have holes with or without waiting. I'm not even close to getting ready to jump ship on any of the three young arms, on any starter, but you know you need BP help.

It's frankly a miracle we're where we are. We probably should have lost about 3 more games.

If Jeffress comes back and solidifies the 9th. Hader handles the 8th and sometimes the 7th I think the bullpen is plenty deep. Especially if Nelson is productive and moves one of the 3 young guys into the bullpen. Suddenly I think the bullpen is back to being a strength.

How confident are you that Jeffress is going to do that though? I wasn't that confident he'd do that before he went down with a shoulder issue and then got lit up in AAA. I also haven't heard what his velocity looks like.

But I am seriously doubtful that he's going to be anything close to last year's version and even then we're still down a couple arms.

I am hopeful Albers can pitch well this year though. I'd feel better if we had power arms in the minors who could be up this year to help us out, but we don't.

Add a diver and a sliding catch to that night lol

Unless Lewis Brinson becomes Willie Mays and Monte Harrsion becomes Willie McCovey, that deal is going to go down as a major win.

What about Isan Diaz, who would he be?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I agree with you 100 pct, but at the same time, there are plenty of spots that you know you have holes with or without waiting. I'm not even close to getting ready to jump ship on any of the three young arms, on any starter, but you know you need BP help.

It's frankly a miracle we're where we are. We probably should have lost about 3 more games.

If Jeffress comes back and solidifies the 9th. Hader handles the 8th and sometimes the 7th I think the bullpen is plenty deep. Especially if Nelson is productive and moves one of the 3 young guys into the bullpen. Suddenly I think the bullpen is back to being a strength.

How confident are you that Jeffress is going to do that though? I wasn't that confident he'd do that before he went down with a shoulder issue and then got lit up in AAA. I also haven't heard what his velocity looks like.

But I am seriously doubtful that he's going to be anything close to last year's version and even then we're still down a couple arms.

I am hopeful Albers can pitch well this year though. I'd feel better if we had power arms in the minors who could be up this year to help us out, but we don't.

Adrian Houser hits upper 90s and Zach Brown sits 95-96. Is that not power enough?

Well someone is getting booted for Nelson when he returns...maybe someone in the rotation. That’s for sure and Nelson sounds to be doing well these days. So there’s that.

We aren’t trading for someone any time soon and if you are hoping for Keuchel or Kimbrel you are sadly dreaming.

You have zero clue if either statement is true, and stating opinion as fact doesn't make it so.

But saying something that's unlikely to happen isn't going to happen isn't really going out on a limb.

Adrian Houser hits upper 90s and Zach Brown sits 95-96. Is that not power enough?

Brown sits at 95-96?

Ok, that's enough power. I'd just read he didn't have the velocity that Burnes and Woodruff had(though he has very good stuff).

Houser I'm skeptical on.

Petricka is a power pitcher as well....hasn't really translated.

I don't really need to be confident. There is time to let it play out over the next few weeks. If Jeffress doesn't look good, if Nelson doesn't make it back then they trade for an arm around the all star break or they promote some young guys like last season. This isn't a big concern right now because there are quite a few plausible ways that it fixes itself. The only big concern I have for this team right now is how crappy the rotation has been, that is something hard to fix. If even 1 of the 3 young guys looked good I'd be more comfortable but all 3 look terrible.

I'm a huge Zack Brown fan but since when is he sitting 95-96 mph?

My impression was that he threw in the 92-93 range and relied more on command.

Maybe he's just adding a couple MPH as often happens when a starter moves to the pen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm a huge Zack Brown fan but since when is he sitting 95-96 mph?

I'm almost positive that's what the guns in spring training had him at. But those same guns had Peralta hitting 97, so probably not accurate.

Regardless, both those guys would be throwing more heat than what they have in the pen now pretty easily.

Archived