Brewer Fanatic

Trade for catcher David Freitas, Corey Knebel to 60-day IL

djoctagone
They should sign freitas to an 8 year extension before sept 1st so he doesn't price himself out of milwaukee after hitting 35 hr in in september

No, he’s already 30 years old, so that would be foolish. The beauty of the Freitas is the control and min. Salary. I think your being ridiculous with the 35 hr in September prediction, he’s not a hr hitter, so that would be virtually impossible to do.

David Freitas has already pounded his nail into the Brewers Wall of Honor! (standing on Brent Suter's shoulders...)

He's like a 30 year old version of Ted Williams when he was a journeyman minor league catcher!!!!

They should sign freitas to an 8 year extension before sept 1st so he doesn't price himself out of milwaukee after hitting 35 hr in in september

No, he’s already 30 years old, so that would be foolish. The beauty of the Freitas is the control and min. Salary. I think your being ridiculous with the 35 hr in September prediction, he’s not a hr hitter, so that would be virtually impossible to do.

My detector might be off, but I think he was just having some fun with the people that are obsessed with Freitas.

David Freitas has already pounded his nail into the Brewers Wall of Honor! (standing on Brent Suter's shoulders...)

He's like a 30 year old version of Ted Williams when he was a journeyman minor league catcher!!!!

I had to check for fun what players on the current team are entering that area for randomness. If Arcia returns as the starter he likely becomes a wall of honor guy. lol...how sad. At least the Hardy/Weeks/Hart's of the world were somewhat relevant.

My detector might be off, but I think he was just having some fun with the people that are obsessed with Freitas.

He is that people.

I think Freitas will be up in September for sure. I think he'll get 50 or so PAs, and I think his production will probably be closer to Saladino than Hiura.

That being said, to be fair to BC92, if he gets 15 hits in those 50 PAs and beats up left handed pitching, there's definite grounds there for second guessing Stearns on what took him so long to bring him up.

I think Freitas will be up in September for sure. I think he'll get 50 or so PAs, and I think his production will probably be closer to Saladino than Hiura.

That being said, to be fair to BC92, if he gets 15 hits in those 50 PAs and beats up left handed pitching, there's definite grounds there for second guessing Stearns on what took him so long to bring him up.

No, it doesn't. They have an $18M all-star catcher that is still doing his job well and a back up in Pina that has been mashing for a month or so, including against LHP.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No, it doesn't. They have an $18M all-star catcher that is still doing his job well and a back up in Pina that has been mashing for a month or so, including against LHP.

So? The struggles against LHP have been definitely well established, and carrying a 3rd catcher isn't unprecedented. We carried Aguilar throughout much of this year as a backup 1B only guy. Freitas can play 1B, so it's not like it's impossible to have made room for him.

If Freitas comes up and mashes LH pitching in September, (again huge if, this is hypothetical), I think questions regarding him would certainly be valid.

So? The struggles against LHP have been definitely well established, and carrying a 3rd catcher isn't unprecedented. We carried Aguilar throughout much of this year as a backup 1B only guy. Freitas can play 1B, so it's not like it's impossible to have made room for him.

If Freitas comes up and mashes LH pitching in September, (again huge if, this is hypothetical), I think questions regarding him would certainly be valid.

Where were they supposed to play him though? I mean it's tough to rip the GM for playing our AS 1B from last year and once he pulled the plug on that Pina/Grandal have been doing great. And in the NL you'd have 4 guys who can really only play 2 spots. We all didn't like that aspect of our construction when we had Jesus so once Jesus was out I don't think it would've made sense to repeat it.

50 PAs is quite a few for a 3rd string catcher when they are still competing. I just can't imagine how he is getting that many PAs.

I tend to agree here. If you said 20, I'd buy that. Maybe 1-2 starts and a PH appearance in half the games. With 50, you're looking at giving him 8-9 starts minimum out of 28 games in September...with some PH added in. The only way he gets to 50 is if...i dunno maybe he goes 3 for 3 in his first 3 PH opportunities with 2 homers, then gets a start and goes 3 for 4 with a homer. All foolish and unlikely stuff, I'd plan on him getting 15-20 PA max barring injury or a plummet in the standings.

50 PAs is quite a few for a 3rd string catcher when they are still competing. I just can't imagine how he is getting that many PAs.

I tend to agree here. If you said 20, I'd buy that. Maybe 1-2 starts and a PH appearance in half the games. With 50, you're looking at giving him 8-9 starts minimum out of 28 games in September...with some PH added in. The only way he gets to 50 is if...i dunno maybe he goes 3 for 3 in his first 3 PH opportunities with 2 homers, then gets a start and goes 3 for 4 with a homer. All foolish and unlikely stuff, I'd plan on him getting 15-20 PA max barring injury or a plummet in the standings.

I was thinking he may gets some starts against LHP. I could be wrong, though.

But yeah 50 does sound like a bit much when you break it down like that. Maybe 30 if things go well.

Archived