Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-12: Brewers (Burnes) at Dodgers (Urías) [Brewers win, 8-5 -- Burnes gives up three more HRs, but Grandal and the offense come to the rescue]

Eye Black
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burnes needs a changeup or a curve ball, something offspeed. And while I'm not advocating for just intentionally hitting guys, he really needs to work inside more consistently to both righty and lefty hitters - with misses being off the plate inside. Just looking at the Dodger hitters' approaches, they're mostly standing right over the inside corner of the plate - so basically anything even on the outside corner is a meatball. Gotta take that half of the plate back - I'd rather see him hit a guy an inning than give up a HR an inning.

That's Bellinger's 8th HR this season. to 7ks. What is he juicing on? 151Ks last year 25HRs in 632 PAs. He's on pace for 80 now in comparison if sees the same amount of PAs this season.

I forgot to say. why pitch to him at this point? He's scolding hot wait til he's cooled off later in the season with a runner on base.

He's juicing on bad pitching and high altitude to start the year - 4 of his HRs are against the Dbacks, 1 against SF, 2 at CO, and 1 against Burnes. He's still got the same holes in his swing that led to the crazy strikeout totals if pitchers actually work to those spots

It's his third start.

I don't like the idea of punishing him this early when the rest of the pitching staff hasn't exactly been good. Quitting in him this soon into his career is probably not the best idea. The season isn't going to be lost in April.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You have got to be kidding me. I've seen enough. You cannot keep running this guy out there at this rate. My goodness.

I'm all about not looking too closely and small sample sizes, but at some point this is going to negatively effect his development. I mean, he's looked fine when not giving up long balls, but unfortunately those long balls count.

I know he's facing some pretty tough lineups, but that really only goes so far. Every pitcher is going to give up HRs, but you gotta keep the ball in the park for the most part to have success.

You have got to be kidding me. I've seen enough. You cannot keep running this guy out there at this rate. My goodness.

I'm all about not looking too closely and small sample sizes, but at some point this is going to negatively effect his development. I mean, he's looked fine when not giving up long balls, but unfortunately those long balls count.

I know he's facing some pretty tough lineups, but that really only goes so far. Every pitcher is going to give up HRs, but you gotta keep the ball in the park for the most part to have success.

I’ve seen professional hitters in batting practice not hit homers at this prodigious rate. I mean, it’s tempting to still call it statistical noise, but it’s some pretty deafening noise. I still maintain Burnes is not pitching as poorly as his results indicate, but his command issues are real, as is his lack of confidence in his secondary offerings.

He’ll either figure this out soon, or he’ll get yanked, but the status quo cannot be allowed to stand.

PS—I hope the Grandal signing starts paying dividends soon...

Man, these Dodger pitchers don’t know how to keep the ball in the park. Doubtful they return to the series. Probably sellers at the deadline.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Man, these Dodger pitchers don’t know how to keep the ball in the park. Doubtful they return to the series. Probably sellers at the deadline.

Watching Urias, who is a much more highly touted prospect than any of the Brewers Big 3, get slapped around makes me feel better about our young starters. Grass is green, water is wet, young starters are inconsistent. We're just going to have to roll with it until they get it figured out, for better or worse.

Archived