Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2019 playoffs Rd 1 vs Detroit Pistons

DuWayne Steurer
Anyone still worried about our playoff history effecting this series? I think I'm gonna head down and see if I can log some floor minutes.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree and that's why I wanted them. There is just no way this team pushes the Bucks to 6 or 7 games like I think could have happened with another team before they shut it down.

I'm all for a boring series. I've had a lot of experience with the Bucks and boring first rounds. I'm not even the slightest bit interested in going to a game until the ECF.

My oh my....

First off, taking anyone for granted in the playoffs is a faux pas.

Second, the Bucks haven't won a series in what, 18 years?

Last, we are one injury from being in a 50/50 coin flip series.

I'm hoping the Bucks take nothing for granted.

Meh, nah. There is no chance the Pistons win this series. Short of Giannis blowing out his knee it's just not going to happen and even then I still think they'd lose. I'll be surprised enough if the Pistons take a game. My guess is game 3 is pseudo-close but the Bucks still pull it out.

18 years means nothing. What happens in the past has no bearing on the present. Taking a pass on the 8th seed in the East is not faux pas it is a reality of letting half the league into the postseason.

Looks like Griffin is out for the "1st round." Funny how that was phrased, like they'll have any other rounds.

Love the way they put the hammer down the whole game, need to do that 3 more times. They need that take no prisoners attitude every game a of the playoffs for 4 quarters. Bucks have the luxury of a great bench, especially when Brogdon comes back. That allows the starters to go 100% on both ends of the court, because they can always rest a few minutes here and there to stay fresh.

Starting to wonder if Pat Connaughton could be a really nice bench player for us. A glue type player. He has to shoot the 3 better, but he's athletic and plays like all out all the time. I don't think I've seen anyone block more jumpers from behind in a year than I saw him do this year.

Basically what Dellvadova was supposed to be before he got overpaid by about 6 million dollars a year, but at SG off the bench.

Either way, between him, Brown and the Jordan of Delaware, I feel like we could manage if Brogdon were to unfortunately get away.

Starting to wonder if Pat Connaughton could be a really nice bench player for us. A glue type player. He has to shoot the 3 better, but he's athletic and plays like all out all the time. I don't think I've seen anyone block more jumpers from behind in a year than I saw him do this year.

Basically what Dellvadova was supposed to be before he got overpaid by about 6 million dollars a year, but at SG off the bench.

Either way, between him, Brown and the Jordan of Delaware, I feel like we could manage if Brogdon were to unfortunately get away.

Connaughton is a solid player that does pretty much everything well. Looks like we have him under contract (non-guaranteed contract) for next season, but I see no way that it is not picked up since it’s under $2 million. Connaughton fits this team well and is a spark off the bench.

Pat C is fine but I think this team and coaching staff is helping a lot of guys look better than they really are. A lot of flaws would be exposed more if guys were asked to play larger roles or face more focused defensive attention. Hopefully other teams see this too and don't try to over-pay our free agents.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Umm. The Warriors blew a 31 point 3rd quarter lead at home against the Clippers? Wow.

They lost that game??? Wow.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Connaughton is a solid player that does pretty much everything well. Looks like we have him under contract (non-guaranteed contract) for next season, but I see no way that it is not picked up since it’s under $2 million. Connaughton fits this team well and is a spark off the bench.

He's a try hard. He doesn't do anything well except his off-ball cutting and jumpimg out of the gym.

He can't close out under control, he can't keep his guy in front of him defensively, he can't shoot and his handles are suspect at best.

He fits, and the team will keep him, but he wouldn't sniff the floor if the Bucks weren't down two wings already in Snell & Brogdon.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Pat's got the best offensive rating on the team...better than Giannis. And he is 31 for his last 77 three-point attempts (40%).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've been saying it for a while, but the Warriors don't scare me. If they both make it that far, the Bucks have home court. More importantly, I think they want it more. All the in-fighting is probably worse than we know, some guys have one foot out the door....all that stuff adds up- especially if you get them down 2-0. Then all the wounds are opened up. Not to say it will be easy. They're still a very talented team with the experience of winning NBA titles. I just don't think it would be a monumental challenge that it has been the last few years.

I've been saying it for a while, but the Warriors don't scare me. If they both make it that far, the Bucks have home court. More importantly, I think they want it more. All the in-fighting is probably worse than we know, some guys have one foot out the door....all that stuff adds up- especially if you get them down 2-0. Then all the wounds are opened up. Not to say it will be easy. They're still a very talented team with the experience of winning NBA titles. I just don't think it would be a monumental challenge that it has been the last few years.

They're scaring me a bit less than earlier in the year due to the fact that I think they are on the verge of slipping, and the Bucks might actually be extremely good, East or not.

I've seen this a lot in the NBA where the top team kinda dogs it and then turns on another gear, and I'm still sort of expecting that from GS. But the reality of the Bucks winning a title has gone from about 5% in February to more like 30% for me. It's a great situation for the Bucks. I expect they'll get pushed in the East (not assuming they win East, but they are the clear class right now) but whoever comes out of the West is going to have to endure a bloodbath and THEN get the Bucks - if they make it.

Community Moderator
I don't want to jinx it but I'm convinced this team is going to win it all. I'm sure somebody will take them to a longer series but right now the Bucks are the best team by far. Nobody can stop them.

They definitely have a first-mover advantage of sorts in that nobody has really had to defend a team that plays the way they do. The recent GS teams had similar deep shooting prowess but they really didn't have anybody like Giannis to complement it. It has been a brilliantly built roster and coached team.

The West is a far better conference top to bottom, but I'm really not sure anybody has the power to match them besides Golden State out of the West. I think the reg. season games with Houston are about how a series with them would go - there is just too much power and not enough defensive there to stop the Bucks. Denver couldn't really slow them down either. Their biggest threats to me are obviously GS, followed by two East teams oddly enough. I'd go Philly, just due to the star power 1-5, and then Boston a bit behind them, just because of the way they played the 2nd half and just an uneasy feeling that they haven't peaked yet.

You have to like our chances though.

Pat's got the best offensive rating on the team...better than Giannis. And he is 31 for his last 77 three-point attempts (40%).

Not sure where you're seeing that, but he's behind all 5 starters and Mirotic.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612749/players-advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=1

His Net rating is 4.4 on the season, which puts him at 13th of the guys who played 10+ games this season.

If he can start making open 3's, he will have value, but he's still the 5th or 6th wing on the team, who wouldn't see the floor except in blowouts in the playoffs.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Golden State obviously isn't going to steamroll everyone like last year, but I think they're still very strong. They still have the most talent, and they don't have any issues of "fit" like Boston and Philly, who have under-achieved all year and will continue to IMO.

Toronto is kind of scary. I think the Bucks' weakness is when the opponent has 5 athletic guys who can shoot. Their defense is much better when one or two opposing players can't shoot, allowing Lopez to camp closer to the basket. Ibaka and Siakam are a tough match-up for the Bucks. Who knows what you're getting from Lowry on any given day, but the Raptors have been a top-3 team pretty much all year and I foresee that being a very tough series if they meet in the ECF.

I just don't see the Raptors as a lot better than the post season paper tiger they have been. They had a net gain getting Leonard I guess, but I'm just not really scared of them. The night they beat the Bucks, they shot 45% from 3. And still didn't really blow them out by any stretch. I just don't think they can bring that 4/7 times.

Not sure where you're seeing that, but he's behind all 5 starters and Mirotic.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612749/players-advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=1

His Net rating is 4.4 on the season, which puts him at 13th of the guys who played 10+ games this season.

If he can start making open 3's, he will have value, but he's still the 5th or 6th wing on the team, who wouldn't see the floor except in blowouts in the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIL/2019.html

Scroll to Per 100 poss

I just don't see the Raptors as a lot better than the post season paper tiger they have been. They had a net gain getting Leonard I guess, but I'm just not really scared of them. The night they beat the Bucks, they shot 45% from 3. And still didn't really blow them out by any stretch. I just don't think they can bring that 4/7 times.

I don't like it when people hold the Bucks' history against them, so I can't hold Toronto's history against them either. With Kawhi and Green, they're a different team with a different personality.

The Bucks were dominant most of the year, so every team relies on hot shooting to beat them. Are they likely to shoot the 3 well enough to beat the Bucks 4 times? No, but I think they're more likely to do it than any other team in the East.

I think Philly and Boston are a little over-rated for having more so-called star power, but Toronto is just better.

Archived