Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-10: Brewers (Woodruff) at Angels (Peña) [Brewers lose, 4-2 -- Giving up 4 runs in 3rd inning proves the difference; Shaw day-to-day after HBP on hand]

Eye Black
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can keep going on this all day. Basically I disagree with choosing the potential growing pains this season. I would have gone for it all this season and left most of the team structure alone.

Cool, agree to disagree. I'd rather go the long term route.

I'd rather wait more than 13 games to determine the route they are taking.

I mean, geez. It's baseball. They were going to face adversity at some point. Do we really need to start talking about how the sky is falling already?

FWIW, I’ve disliked this approach before the season began. Yes, a lot can happen throughout the year. I just don’t like the current state of our pitching staff. Maybe it’ll be fine, maybe it’ll get better with Jeffress and Nelson.

Burnes woodruff and Peralta have thrown 38 complete innings this year, in 28, they have put a zero up on the board, and 2 1-spots. It seems like a bit of bad luck that the other 8 innings have been so crooked

Out of the 3 young starters, Woodruff has the longest leash, IMO. I think with Peralta's occasional control issues he may remain as a starter but get sent to AAA instead of rotting in the Brewers' pen as a long man. Burnes is sort of in between - I think he'd do just fine moving back to the pen, but you got to give him more starts, too. Hopefully Nelson gets up in a few weeks and can hold down one of these rotation spots.

All three have really good arm talent - but you have to be realistic that the odds were slim to none all three would be able to just be good starters from jump street in 2019 and not have growing pains (some of which might lead to a demotion/role change)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
We've been talking about how bad the pitching is so long that enough time passed and it's no longer all that bad. 6 IP and 4 ER on some really lame base hits. Similar to Chacin's last outing, the offense has to be better.

I think that type of start should be coined "The Suter". He was always good for giving up 2-3 runs in the 1st or 2nd, then you see him get through 5-6 innings and still be at 2-3 runs.

Imagine if the A's had signed journeymen and never given Hudson, Zito, Mulder, Harang, and Harden to take some lumps. We have some seriously talented youngsters. We're currently 8 deep in our rotation. Let the kids learn.

I feel like Nelson is a long time away from the rotation. Woodruff is gonna start all year if not hurt, I think. He is the cream of the crop. But all three have already looked good enough at times to justify just running with them.

If he keeps progressing he'll get brought up before Memorial Day...not sure if that qualifies as a long time or not, but I think that's the realistic scenario barring any other setbacks. In the meantime I think they would be fine rolling with the youngsters to get them all 6-7 starts to see if there's an obvious move to make.

Despite the pessimism, I still think Anderson is a viable starting option this year for extended stretches, too.

Yeah I'm not sure I agree Chase Canaveral can be counted on for anything other than mop-up right now. Nelson will probably be pitching with the Brewers before Memorial Day, but I don't think he's going to be in the rotation out of the gates unless they said that and I didn't see it. I assumed he would start working out of the pen.

Yeah I'm not sure I agree Chase Canaveral can be counted on for anything other than mop-up right now. Nelson will probably be pitching with the Brewers before Memorial Day, but I don't think he's going to be in the rotation out of the gates unless they said that and I didn't see it. I assumed he would start working out of the pen.

at least coming out of the bullpen, his velocity has been at 2017 levels and his off-speed stuff has looked sharp.

Woodruff was fine tonight. With 4 hits and 6 baserunners total you'd normally see less than 4 runs. Sometimes all (most) of those just happen to be in the same inning. Unlucky, but bounced back from that and looked good. Outhit the Angels for the series, so not the kind of sweep worth panicking about even though it sucks to be swept by a mediocre team like that.

Glad to see Grandal and even Arcia start to hit. Now we just need Shaw and especially Aguilar to wake up...

Archived