Brewer Fanatic

I love Joe Morgan

dhoffman19

Here are a few highlights of his chat today. Wouldn't it be great to see this guy in charge of running an MLB team, just for comedy's sake?

Bob (Brooklyn): What's more important to evaluate a pitcher: Wins or ERA?

Joe Morgan: I've always believed that an ERA is like a batting average. It's a personal thing. For instance, a guy could hit .300, but not be as valuable as a guy that hits .270. A guy that makes 7 outs out of 10 with guys on base, he's not that valuable. But if you're clutch, but hit .275, you're more valuable. That's why I think wins are better. It's just as tough to win a game 7-6 as it is 1-0. The only thing that matters at the end of the year is how many games did we win.

Kyle (Kansas): What is the most overated stat in baseball?

Joe Morgan: Batting average and earned run average and this OPS stuff they do. OPS doesn't tell you anything except about the individual. The same as the other stats. It doesn't tell you anything about the team. A .300 average doesn't help you win games, run production does.

Joe Morgan: I'm not saying those numbers don't mean anything, I'm saying they're overglorified.

If you like this stuff, you'll love this link:

LINK

It's one think to state that "all that matters is wins", since you really can't argue that. It's when you use that concept with player evaluations that all hell breaks lose.

I agree, FJM is going to have an outstanding commentary on this one. It's full of non-answers and nonsensical ramblings.

Some other good ones:

Greg (Palatine, IL): Do you think Beurhle going to the Red Sox would be a good move for Boston?

Joe Morgan: I have no idea where he's going, but I do believe he'll be traded because he's a free agent. They're not playing well and they're not catching anybody.

Did you read the question??

Shawn Dayton Ohio: What do the indians need to do before the trading deadline to help them make the final push to the world series

Joe Morgan: What I've seen of the Indians is they just need to be more consistent. They have all the pieces, but like everyone else, they need another starting pitcher. But every team is like that.

Wait, so do they need to be more consistent, or do they need another starting pitcher?

Will (Lexington, KY): the reds have young talent for sure, but can they become contenders with the management they have right now?

Joe Morgan: That's a very good question. I don't think I'm equipped to answer that question. But it's a very good question, because I've been asking myself the same question. I'm not as close to the situation as I have been or should be, but I've talked to the owner and he wants to win. I am disappointed in what I've seen so far.

... I'm glad this guy gets paid to analyze baseball.

Carson (Arizona): Do the Padres have much of a chance to do well in the playoffs with thier offensive struggles?

Joe Morgan: They're offense is always going to be a concern. You have to be able to score some runs in the playoffs. You can't just rely on your pitching staff because the other team has a good staff as well.

Wait, so you're telling me you need to score more runs than they other team?

Fred (Atlanta): Who's the best hitter in the game today?

Joe Morgan: I would have to say Albert Pujols or Manny Ramirez, normally. If they were doing what they normally do. A-Rod has more power, and hits for average. A hitter is a guy that just gets hits. On second thought, A-Rod might be the best, because he's the most dangerous at hitting the ball out of the ballpark right now. Obviously, these things are all open for debate considering what you're looking for - power or average. Ideally, you're looking for both.

I love that guy.

This is nothing new, but, boy, is he an idiot. I've known about and also supported firejoemorgan for quite a while. I can't even watch ESPN baseball on Sunday. If I have to hear about the Great Red Machine one more time I'll scream. I don't think Morgan is ignorant about the game, but I don't understand how someone who follows the sport can say OPS is meaningless yet a win-loss record is indicative to the effectiveness of a pitcher.

ETA: Grammar is nice.

Joe's problem is that playing on so many good teams skews his frame of reference. If you are a pitcher and your line-up is the Big red machine for example your win loss record is going to be a good reflection of your talent because except for extreme cases you are going to get better than average run support.

Archived