Brewer Fanatic

Phils save Rockies' groundskeepers

The Phils did the unthinkable today, helping out the Rockies groundskeepers keep the tarp from flying away during a rain delay. This story makes me think of Vince Coleman's 1985 World Series incident and Rick Dempsey's bloated imitation of Robin Yount at Milwaukee County Stadium during a rain delay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270708127

Phillies 8, Rockies 4

DENVER (AP) -- Shane Victorino wrangled with an out-of-control tarp before a rain delay and then hit a two-run homer after the stoppage in Philadelphia's 8-4 win over the Colorado Rockies on Sunday.

The Phillies helped the Rockies' grounds crew cover the field during rain delay in the seventh.(Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

The win puts the Phillies dubious milestone on hold until after the All-Star break. They've lost 9,999 games in franchise history.

Jimmy Rollins had three hits -- including two RBI singles -- and Pat Burrell hit his 11th homer of the season for Philadelphia.

Adam Eaton (8-5) won for the first time since June 11, going six innings and giving up four runs and eight hits. He also struck out three.

Ryan Madson pitched three innings for his first save.

The Phillies did their good deed for the day in the seventh-inning delay, rescuing members of Colorado's grounds crew from underneath the whipping tarp. A strong burst of wind caught hold of it as the crew tried to roll it over the infield.

Victorino grabbed a corner, dug in his feet and pulled it as hard as he could toward left field. Ryan Howard held a section down with a knee. Michael Bourn started heaving sand bags onto the tarp to weigh it down.

Even plate umpire Bill Welke and crew chief John Hirschbeck were out there trying to keep the tarp from flying away again.

The grounds crew had no trouble with the tarp when they removed it following the 50-minute delay. It's the second straight rain delay, the one Saturday night lasting one hour and 22 minutes.

"That was the worst ever," said Mark Razum, Colorado's head groundskeeper. "The wind was so strong, we couldn't hold it. When it draped over the guys, I was worried that somebody might suffocate. It was really cool the Phillies came out and gave us a hand."

Although the presence of loss No. 10,000 is hanging over their heads, the Phillies say they are paying little attention to it.

"It's no big deal," infielder Wes Helms said. "Other organizations that are around as long as the Phillies have been are going to eventually reach 10,000 losses."

Todd Helton and Kaz Matsui homered for the Rockies, whose five-game winning streak ended. Aaron Cook (5-6) lasted six innings, giving up a season-high 12 hits and allowing five runs.

All the publicity surrounding loss No. 10,000 has worn out Philadelphia players. And even made them a little sensitive to the subject.

"It's not worth talking about," said Chase Utley, who had two singles and an RBI on Sunday. "This team has been around a long time. There isn't much to say about it."

Howard will be taking a familiar arm with him to San Francisco as he tries to defend his Home Run Derby crown Monday night. Bullpen coach Ramon Henderson will be throwing him belt-high fastballs on the inner half of the plate.

The two have been working on their timing the past few days.

"He's pretty good," said Howard, who has 21 homers this season.

Henderson also pitched to Bobby Abreu when he won the contest while a member of the Phillies in 2005.

"I'll be nervous, too," Henderson said with a grin. "I hope he kills a few sharks [in the San Francisco Bay]."

Game notes

Philadelphia and Colorado are 44-44 at the All-Star break. ... Colorado RHP Jason Hirsh will throw a bullpen session Thursday to test his sprained right ankle. Hirsh, who's on the 15-day disabled list, could be sent out for a rehab start sometime after that. ... Colorado's eight-game winning streak at Coors Field came to an end. It's tied for the third-longest in team history.

Saw the video on ESPN, nice gesture by the Phils, though in that situation you'd hope anyone would help out since the way that wind was blowing it could have taken on of the groundscrew with the tarp.

The ESPN clip said that Latroy Hawkins was the only Colorado player out there helping out..where was everybody else? I am by no means implying anything about his teammates or anything..just wondering if anybody knows where they were at the time is all. Had the Rockies players already retreated to their clubhouse when this all happened? Were they hanging out in the dugout watching?

I just saw the replay of this. Pretty cool of the Phils (and the umpires & Hawkins) to help out. Nobody would have bashed them if they didn't, yet they still decided to help. Could it end up being a chemistry-building moment for the Phillies? I'm not a big believer in that kind of thing, but it seems like the kind of team-building exercise they have you do at corporate retreats and stuff.

that was pretty crazy. Kind of dangerous too. One of the grounds crew guys went flying. What if one of the players slipped and pulled something or when the tarp started flying it was ripped out of the hands of a player breaking a finger or something. While it was a very nice thing for them to help, and really cool to watch. I think next time the players should stand back and watch.

I'm going to disagree. The Phils saw fellow human beings in danger, potentially mortal danger the way that tarp was moving and they stepped up. Absolutely the right reaction. Sure, they risked injury, but so did the crew at that point. I think the Phil's actions saved some lives.

I'm going to disagree. The Phils saw fellow human beings in danger, potentially mortal danger the way that tarp was moving and they stepped up. Absolutely the right reaction. Sure, they risked injury, but so did the crew at that point. I think the Phil's actions saved some lives.

ok, tell that to the owner of the phils if ryan howard or utley tore their acl and was out for the year because they helped out with the tarp. I agree, they helped maybe save the crew from getting injured just don't think they should. I think saving lives is going a bit far. just my opinion.

how would that be any different than Utley or Howard being lost for the year because he got hit by a car while saving a 4-year old kid who ran into the road to chase a soccer ball?

They did the right thing.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

how would that be any different than Utley or Howard being lost for the year because he got hit by a car while saving a 4-year old kid who ran into the road to chase a soccer ball?

huh? thats really not the same thing. There a people that get paid to pull the tarp out. If its the right thing, then why don't they help out every time the tarp gets away from the grounds crew. Its not the first time that the grounds crew has lost control of the tarp. Was it nice of them to help out, yes of course it was. but as an ower of a team that pays out millions of dollars to players, I would tell my team to stay away from it.

No, I meant that it's the same in this way:

If Chase Utley gets seriously hurt saving a kid from death by car smack, will the Phillies management moan and wail then also?

It seems to me that anything that can be avoided that has potential for injury must avoided, even if it means helping out our fellow man. C'mon. These players hunt, exercise, vacation, etc. during the off-season. They live their lives. They are humans. Human nature, for the most part, is to help others in times of peril.

If Prince Fielder visits my town and gets hit by a car while saving my son's life, I'll be forever indebted. If the Brewers would make a deal out of it and openly complain that what Prince did was wrong would make me disavow any and all love for that team forever.

I understand, jason, what you mean about the groundscrew has their job and the players have theirs. They shouldn't "intermingle" with each other's job. But in times of peril, like yesterday, human nature sometimes just takes over. I'd bet some of those players ran out to help on instinct. I doubt they took a vote or something in the dugout before going out there.

I better stop talking about human nature, though, before I accidentally throw something religious out there.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

are you trying to tell me i have no heart because I think they shouldn't have gone out there to help? saving someones life is one thing, going out to hold down a tarp is another. Yes, the tarp was out of control but I don't think they saved someones life last night. I'm looking it from a different point of view. I'd be willing to bet that they won't be doing that ever again.

after reading more about the tarp, I'll take back most that I have said on this topic. I'll eat my crow, my words and whatever. I'm wrong for the most part and look like an idiot. I still don't think they will go out there anymore to help out, but in doing so, they might have saved lives. I was wrong, and others in this thread were right.

and, jason, I never said you didn't have a heart. In fact, I never even thought that once.

But all is good.

- - - - - - - - -

and, jason, I never said you didn't have a heart. In fact, I never even thought that once.

just talking about human nature, and I thought it was directed at me. I don't have a heart though, the lady at the grocery store earlier today, I wanted offed. not really but you know what i mean.

Uh--not sure how to follow up the previous posts but I just saw this on a TIVOd Sportscenter and I want to commend the Phillies for running out and helping in what seemed to be a spur of the moment decision.

All the previous threads speak to how sports has become detached and all about money and moments like this make me forget that for a second. Well done.

Found it really interesting the announcer talking about minor league grounds crews only having 3 guys and the players having to regularly go out and help them out. Pretty interesting. I see where you were coming from Jason - even if I don't agree with it - but don't worry big guy, we've all been down the retraction road.

It's defiantly a stand-up thing for them to do. If the coaches were that concerned about the payers they would have sent the guys they cared about back into the dugout anyway.

It strikes me that nowadays there's not a machine to lay the tarp for them.

Archived