Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-06: Cubs (Hamels) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 14-8 -- Battle of struggling bullpens]

Eye Black
Community Moderator
If you’re going to lose, might as well get blown out and not use your best relievers trying to chase a win.

By the time this is over the Brewers might have a negative run differential for the season.

Brewers still got 4 innings to chip away. This is an offense that can score runs in bunches too.

The Cubs bullpen has given up 37 runs in 29.1 innings. There's still a chance for sure.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
If you’re going to lose, might as well get blown out and not use your best relievers trying to chase a win.

By the time this is over the Brewers might have a negative run differential for the season.

We already used the dregs last night. If Guerra was going to pitch no matter what he should have started the inning--or at least come in as soon as there is a baserunner. HR--okay, still no baserunner, but a 3 run game against the Cubs bullpen is still very winnable. Then a BB. Then a single. Now the game may not be winnable.

We had a fresh bullpen to use in a winnable game at a time when the ^new^ "book" says you should change pitchers.

I’m giddy with the thought of this young trio being left alone, to pitch all year out of the rotation. We can still win tons of games while they gain the experience they need to be the dominant pitchers I think we all know they will be.

Turning this one off tonight. First time all season. Not because I’m mad at them either. This was just due. Hope I check in later and see I missed a helluva comeback.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
I wouldn't give up on any game that involves the Cubs' bullpen. I'm not watching anymore but definitely keeping an eye on the game to see if they get a rally going.

This is a good example of why my daughters and I won’t go to Cubs games. I’d rather sell the tickets on our 10 pack for twice what we pay and go to two games that would be more enjoyable.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It’s been two starts for Burnes. He will be fine. We all expected there to be growing pains this season using three guys that have little to no starts at the major league level. There will be good and bad days for Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta.

We don't know that they'll be fine. MLB history is littered with very good young pitchers who never made it as starters. For awhole variety of reasons. All they can is take it start by start. Way to early to yank any of them from the rotation yet. That said, they're not going to let them stay indefinitely if all/most starts are bad.

Curious, how many sliders vs fastballs did Burnes throw tonight? Admittedly I may be way off, but could be he's not throwing his slider enough?

Community Moderator
That strike two call to Yelich might qualify has the worst called strike of the season thus far.

I was wondering if it was as bad as it looked on Gameday.

Yeah, Yelich was pissed. He stepped out of the box in the middle of the at bat to complain to the umpire about it. It was awful.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I love Stearns, but that Santana/Gamel trade looks ugly.

It does but Santana is 2-12 so he is regressing toward his true self. I figured Santana would always hit more but that his fielding was just not a good fit unlike gamel who can play everywhere

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love Stearns, but that Santana/Gamel trade looks ugly.

This is the absolute epitome of "small sample size" alert. I wish they would have gotten more for Santana, but they seemed pretty intent on trading him for more than a year. It was pretty obvious I think that he didn't fit what Stearns was trying to build.

Archived