Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-06: Cubs (Hamels) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 14-8 -- Battle of struggling bullpens]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

46825249384_e9e161405a_c.jpg

46825249294_431958ffe6_c.jpg

[pre]Cubs Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. Daniel Descalso (L) 2B 1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Kris Bryant ® 3B 2. Christian Yelich (L) RF

3. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B 3. Ryan Braun ® LF

4. Javier Baez ® SS 4. Jesus Aguilar ® 1B

5. Kyle Schwarber (L) LF 5. Travis Shaw (L) 3B

6. Albert Almora Jr. ® CF 6. Hernan Perez ® 2B

7. Jason Heyward (L) RF 7. Yasmani Grandal (S) C

8. Victor Caratini (S) C 8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Cole Hamels (L) P 9. Corbin Burnes ® P[/pre]

Corbin Burnes: Batter (Cubs) vs Pitching Stats

Cole Hamels: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big time test for Burnes tonight. Hoping to see more than just the FB/slider, and also with his elite command work the edges of the plate.

I hope he pours it on!!!!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Big time test for Burnes tonight. Hoping to see more than just the FB/slider, and also with his elite command work the edges of the plate.

We’ll see how much bullying and gang mentality there’s going to be on this board tonight.

Not that I’m complaining.

We’ll see how much bullying and gang mentality there’s going to be on this board tonight.

WWCCD?

So is it NOT bullying when YOU rip someone for not agreeing with you? Just making sure I understand the rules on your planet.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Cubs option Edwards to AAA and put Montgomery to the IL. They will get some fresh arms for their bullpen tonight

Hopefully, threy'll need them. If the Crew just keeps it close, who is the first option for the Cubs in the late innings? Brach after 31 pitches yesterday? Kintzler on a back-to-back? Strop for a multi-inning save opp?

Nice to have the more rested bullpen, with Wilson, Guerra, and Hader all real fresh. Barnes too. Of course, I'd just as soon to do Hamels what they did to Quintana last night.

Go Crew!

Cubs option Edwards to AAA and put Montgomery to the IL. They will get some fresh arms for their bullpen tonight

Hopefully, threy'll need them. If the Crew just keeps it close, who is the first option for the Cubs in the late innings? Brach after 31 pitches yesterday? Kintzler on a back-to-back? Strop for a multi-inning save opp?

Nice to have the more rested bullpen, with Wilson, Guerra, and Hader all real fresh. Barnes too. Of course, I'd just as soon to do Hamels what they did to Quintana last night.

Go Crew!

If the Crew does that, and if Burnes can pitch something akin to what Freddy did on Wednesday... they have a good chance to sweep this series - and put the Cubs in a hole.

Six more wins... more free burgers.

Fresh is relative, when those arms are still bad mlb options. the fact any arms they got coming up were behind those two in their pecking order tells you all there is to know about their lack of quality bullpen depth in the high minors. Edwards has been awful since returning too soon from arm issues mid-2018, and Montgomery is nothing better than a long man in a bullpen even when he is 100 percent healthy. They are grasping at straws already.

Allen Webster and Kyle Ryan appear to the be the replacements. I'm not sure I wouldn't have kept Edwards and a hurt Montgomery.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Maybe a nice comebacker for "no rivalry" hamels tonight and an 8-9 earned runs, 2+ inning performance.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Allen Webster and Kyle Ryan appear to the be the replacements. I'm not sure I wouldn't have kept Edwards and a hurt Montgomery.

In four appearances this year Edwards has given up 6 ER and 5 BB in 1.2 innings.

A small sample, but far from the almost unhittable pitcher he was two years ago - looked like he was in line for the closers role.

Archived