Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 4/6 - Timber Rattlers Home Opener

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Links for affiliate audio

Have great seasons Garrett in Biloxi, Greg in Carolina, and Chris in Appleton! And welcome to Mike Haeger (@samissionsradio ) down in San Antonio!

Standings and sortable stat pages

Lazar through 4 scoreless, FB has been operating 86-88, breaking ball (I assume CB?) 73-76. He's been controlling the breaking ball as well or better than the FB.

So far he's been hit really hard once, an absolute bomb in the 3rd that was barely foul, almost flew over the LF foul pole. And I mean like 50'+ vertically above it. He got lucky on that one, but has otherwise been good this far.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Lazar is dealing. Was hoping velocity was higher. Hadn’t seen many reports on it. Looks to be another good crafty finesse pitcher.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Reese Olson was looking sharp in relief until he took a laser-liner off his pitching arm. Looked like it got him right above the elbow, and he was in real pain. He came off right away, the trainer examining him on the mound was basically a formailty.

Prior to that, he had a heavy-sounding FB working well around 94-95. Hope he's ok

Was also hoping there was news on Olson. He got drilled, and was unable to pick the ball up to throw to first. He picked it up with his glove and tried to toss it from his glove but to no avail. His pitching arm hung there, he didn't even try to move it after being hit. Maybe he just couldn't, I don't know, but it did not look good.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Lazar is dealing. Was hoping velocity was higher. Hadn’t seen many reports on it. Looks to be another good crafty finesse pitcher.

He's also only 19, & listed at 6'3"/185. I don't think it's out of the question that he could add muscle & velo in the years to come.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: San Antonio 6, Oklahoma City 4

Taylor's Ninth Inning Home Run Lifts Missions Past Dodgers

Ray 0-5 with 5 strikeouts and Hiura has struck out 9 times in 13 at bats (3 each game so at least he's consistent.)

I think this is a valid point about the tone of the occasional comments we'll see within a Link Report. The game summaries are going to focus on the positive, which is fine, and everyone is absolutely encouraged (strongly encouraged) to read the summaries in full each morning. But at all levels, most of all AAA, we'll need to highlight points like this occasionally. It might seem like folks are going out of their way to do be negative, when in fact we're just letting the affiliate summary writers trumpet the positive. I for one, would not have picked up on the Keston Hiura three-game K streak, while the Corey Ray line from this box score was near impossible to miss, so thanks for pointing it out.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Fog Suspends Shuckers and Barons

Biloxi and Birmingham Will Complete Suspended Game on Sunday, Followed By Seven-Inning Game

Saturday night's game between the Biloxi Shuckers and Birmingham Barons has been suspended in the top of the third due to fog. The game will be resumed on Sunday at 12:35 PM and played to its completion as a nine-inning game. The Shuckers and Barons will then play a seven-inning game approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the suspended game.

Locals in Biloxi can click the link above for ticket details, and you can all click to see the fog photo.

Shuckers Tweet:

MID2 Braden Webb walks a man with the bases loaded and surrenders two sac flies. Time to bounce back! Barons 3, Shuckers 0

More early troubles for MiLB.com -- appears no partial Gameday or box score is available. Incredible the steps back they have taken this year.

Here was the starting lineup, and yes, for on Field of Dreams Night, can't make that up!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Box: Carolina 2, Down East 1

Mudcats collect just two hits while squeaking out a 2-1 road win in Kinston

Noah Zavolas, Michael Petersen, Matt Hardy and Rodrigo Benoit helped pitch the Mudcats to the 2-1 road win

VIDEO Tweet: Pregame comments from Mudcats' OF/1B Ryan Aguilar

Brief VIDEO Tweet: RHP Michael Petersen

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As you're about to find out, Carolina and Wisconsin combined for three hits over 17 innings of at-bats, and both teams won!

Box: Wisconsin 2, Cedar Rapids 0

Rattlers Take Home Opener 2-0 from Cedar Rapids

Wisconsin has one hit in the game, but they shutout the Kernels

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Additional VIDEO via Fox11Online

'Gym rat' Turang hopes to make impact with Timber Rattlers

Daniel Wussow, Appleton Post-Crescent

PHOTO GALLERY from the Post-Crescent Several sweet looks

Hey, I'm only going to mention it once here all year (now), but if you're not familiar with the "InPrivate Browsing" option, the USA Today sites (like the Post-Crescent) haven't bothered to stop its effectiveness in working around a pay wall, so research it a bit. Be sure to start a brand new InPrivate session for each unique link and you won't reach your monthly limits. And yes, I do support local journalism to the point of still having the print edition of my local newspaper delivered daily, but that's a big loophole the USA Today conglomerate hasn't filled yet.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers had one hit in their home opener on April 6, but it was enough to beat the Cedar Rapids Kernels 2-0. Chris Mehring & Kyle Lobner discuss the game and how the Rattlers won. Plus, hear from manager Matt Erickson and pitcher Max Lazar, who struck out eight over six innings for the win."

Kyle adds an Antonio Pinero note about no longer being a switch-hitter, although this is actually Year Two for that news, as Helena broadcaster Greg Mroz pointed this out last June. It's just MLB Advanced Media for Gameday that hasn't adjusted yet, as well as the Brewers own Media Guide :ohwell.

The guys also add that most were disappointed it's not pronounced "Laser", as in Beam.

Milwaukee Prospect Report

@BrewersMPR

36s37 seconds ago

More

Aaron Ashby on the mound for Wisconsin today. Also of note, Reese Olson just took part in the pregame golf promotion on the field, so hopefully that's a sign that he's feeling better after taking a line dive off his pitching elbow yesterday. #brewers #milb

For those interested, a nice scouting report on Reese Olson from this Spring curtesy of 2080baseball

NOTES FROM THE FIELD, MINOR LEAGUE SPRING TRAINING:

Undersized w/ lean features; young look, room to add strength but won’t ever be physical. Good athlete, twitchy features, fast arm.

Simple mechanics w/ effort through release. Quick H3/4 slot; head rattle and recoil at finish.

FB 92-96; Quick arm produces lively mid-90s velo; late burst and run to armside; will need to get stronger and tone down delivery to sharpen in-zone command.

CB 79-81; Separator, potential big league breaking ball; tight rotation, flashes of sharp bite and two-plane depth. Good looking pitch.

CH 84-85; Throws more to LHH, developing third speed. Slight fade to armside.

FB/CB two primary pitches, CH a wrinkle. Around the plate w/ more control than true command.

SUMMARY: Young RHP w/ mid-90s velocity and flashes of sharp CB. Will need to add durability and overall polish to wind up a big league SP. Interesting tools, can’t rule out the ‘pen given shorter stature and quality two-pitch mix.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived