Brewer Fanatic

2019 Minor League Transaction Thread

And That
18-year-old RHP Jian Yi transferred from AZL Brewers Blue to AZL Brewers Gold.

Its odd how the Brewers have managed the two Arizona rosters. It seems they are favoring the Gold roster. They have consistently kept the gold roster at around 36 players and the Blue roster around 30. The transfer of Yi is a good example. Why would they do this, when Colina is also placed on the DL, leaving them now down two pitchers?

I'm sure there is enough players to go around still, but it just seems curious.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Its odd how the Brewers have managed the two Arizona rosters. It seems they are favoring the Gold roster. They have consistently kept the gold roster at around 36 players and the Blue roster around 30. The transfer of Yi is a good example. Why would they do this, when Colina is also placed on the DL, leaving them now down two pitchers?

I just love the fact that our readers are even into such minutia (saying that in a good way, not a condescending one).

That would be a little worrisome that the Gold roster would be the favorite given they are 8-23

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Welcome back to the Missions lineup, David Freitas, back from the paternity list (all is well).

In hopefully just a temporary move, Missions RHP Luke Barker hits the 7-day IL.

Catcher Tuffy Gosewisch and INF Blake Allemand again caught in a roster crunch, moved to the paper Rocky Mountain roster while remaining with San Antonio.

Non-drafted LHP Ian Exposito, the just-turned 23-year-old out of Florida International, and effective in five appearances (four starts) thus far, gets shifted from AZL Blue to AZL Gold.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rodrigo Benoit promoted from A+ Carolina to AA Biloxi, thus filling one of the two spots vacated by the Cody Ponce trade (for Jordan Lyles) and Marcos Diplan DFA.

Benoit will be a minor league free agent in about 2 months, so the promotion is good for him but meh for us.

There’s still a possibility that Marcos Diplan could clear waivers and be outrighted back to Biloxi by Brewers, but it costs essentially nothing for a team with an open 40-man roster spot to claim him and immediately option or even re-DFA. Time will tell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Tough loss for MLB team today. But in more uplifting news:

- Corey Ray promoted from Biloxi to San Antonio, where he needs to be. Hopefully the OF is truly healthy now and can finish strong

- Jon Olczak sent to Biloxi where he dominated pitching last year. Hopefully he’s also healthy now and can finish strong

- Ryan Aguilar finally promoted from Carolina to Biloxi. He’s been Carolina’s top hitter this season. Plays mostly 1B and CF, which is a cool combo

- Peter Strzelecki promoted from Wisconsin to Carolina. He was the oldest player on the Wisconsin roster and has decent pitching stats, so this needed to happen

That last move officially frees up a spot at Wisconsin for 1st round 2019 draft pick Ethan Small, who’s scheduled to pitch there tomorrow

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers sign 23-year-old non-drafted RHP Seth Beard out of Methodist University (Fayetteville, NC) and assign him to the Maryvale Gold team. Beard had most recently been pitching for the Fayetteville SwampDogs in the local collegiate wood bat league.

Here is Beard's collegiate bio page. (Beard does not have a beard.)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Joey Matulovich's and LHP Ethan Small's promotions to Wisconsin from Arizona were official as of Thursday 8/1.

Timber Rattler RHP Justin Jarvis on the Wisconsin 7-day IL, retroactive to 7/29.

INF Blake Allemand active again at San Antonio.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Two RHP's signed on June 15th (at the tail end of the 2018 international signing pool year) made their debuts in the Dominican Summer League Friday 8/2 --

16-year-old (17 on 8/9) Mexican native Ramon Carrasco and 17-year-old (18 on 8/22) Dominican republic native Alexander Cornielle

NOTE: It is rare for the Brewers to formally debut post-July 2nd signees in the same summer. These two players are not part of the 2019 pool.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Biloxi Press Release:

BILOXI SHUCKERS ROSTER MOVES AUGUST 7

Robie Rojas Added To Shuckers Roster, Skyler Ewing Placed On IL

KODAK, TN – The Biloxi Shuckers, Double-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, announced a pair of roster moves on Wednesday prior to their contest against the Tennessee Smokies. Catcher Robie Rojas has been transferred to Biloxi from the Rocky Mountain Vibes roster, while catcher Skyler Ewing has been placed on the injured list.

Rojas returns to Biloxi where he spent most of the season. In seven games with the Shuckers in 2019, the 24-year-old hit .250 with two doubles and an RBI. Behind the plate, Rojas commanded the Shuckers staff to a 4-1 record with a 3.27 ERA over 44.0 innings in five starts. Taken in the 38th round of the 2017 First Year Player Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, Rojas has a career .290 batting average over three seasons in the Minor Leagues.

Ewing lands on the injured list retroactive to August 5 after appearing in ten games with the Shuckers. The 26-year-old hit .130 with two doubles and three RBI with Biloxi and registered a 3-3 record behind the plate while captaining the Shuckers staff to a 3.35 ERA in 51.0 innings. Ewing also played in five games with Triple-A San Antonio this season after being signed by the Brewers as a minor league free agent in January. The Shuckers roster currently sits at 25 active players with two players on the injured list (Ewing, Luis Aviles Jr.) and Brent Suter with Biloxi on Major League rehab.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "There is a lot to discuss after Tuesday's doubleheader sweep in today's Postgame Podcast. Chris Mehring and Kyle Lobner go through the high points, the trivia, the transactions, the streaks and the Antonio Pinero defensive plays of the day. Plus lots of audio from the Clubhouse from: Chad Whitmer on his save and his promotion to Carolina; Scotty Sunitsch on his start and win in game one, Thomas Dillard on catching for the first time as a pro, David Fry on his day, Korry Howell on his day, and the Manager Matt Erickson on his team."

We learn that Gabriel Garcia has a broken leg (29:15 minute mark).

Chad Whitmer on his save and his promotion to Carolina

The Whitmer move was posted on the Carolina League transaction page Wednesday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Chris Mehring --

RHP Freisis Adames transferred from Wisconsin to Rocky Mountain

OF Pablo Abreu transferred from AZL Brewers Gold to Wisconsin (technically, Abreu was activated from the Wisconsin 60-day IL)

Not sure if Adames' move is of the paper variety or not, he's earned his full-season ball slot.

@Joelsherman1

Hear that Tyler Austin is signing a minor league deal with the #Brewers

Austin is a RHH 1B ... 27 years old. Has bounced around. Twitter speculation that he could serve as a platoon partner with Thames, but I don't know. What I do know is that if Austin gets the call over David Freitas, our resident Freitas fan is going to have an aneurism.

@Joelsherman1

Austin is a RHH 1B ... 27 years old. Has bounced around. Twitter speculation that he could serve as a platoon partner with Thames, but I don't know. What I do know is that if Austin gets the call over David Freitas, our resident Freitas fan is going to have an aneurism.

Ha, getting kinda used to Stearns poor decision making with regards to the roster, so whatever. I might have started out as the “resident Freitas fan” but most on this board have come around to the fact that this “Journeyman” is more than that, and will probably help the big league team moving forward.

@Joelsherman1

Ha, getting kinda used to Stearns poor decision making with regards to the roster, so whatever. I might have started out as the “resident Freitas fan” but most on this board have come around to the fact that this “Journeyman” is more than that, and will probably help the big league team moving forward.

Just joshing a little ... I actually agree with you. I'm not real sure what else he has to do to earn a promotion. Perhaps if he boosted that average to .400?

Actually, its obvious that he hasn't struck out enough to get the front office's attention. Also, he bats with the wrong hand.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This week's moves:

RHP Shelby Miller activated from the IL at San Antonio (from his Maryvale "rehab" stint)

C Tuffy Gosewisch placed on the Rocky Mountain paper roster and then quickly re-activated at San Antonio

RHP Corbin Burnes from San Antonio to Biloxi

INF Blake Allemand to the AAA Missions IL list

INF Julio Garcia on to the High-A Carolina injured list

C Nathan Rodriguez activated from the High-A Carolina injured list

Archived