Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-03: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers win, 1-0 -- Peralta pitches a gem ~ 8.0 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 11 K]

Eye Black
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get being frustrated with Arcia and his lack of production over the last calendar year but the comments of judging his work ethic based on how he plays the game are just so, so, wrong. You think because he is loose and has fun with his teammates that he doesn't work hard? What a terrible way to judge a person at any job placement especially a guy playing baseball. What a truly awful, horrific take by some.

Side note: Peralta is working his way towards his own "crow served" thread. Love the game he is throwing today.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Let's get an insurance run here!

Alex Wilson is warming up.

This is sorta what I posted in his signing thread. He's closed about 20% of all games he's pitched. Generally not save situations, but he's at least been in the final 3 outs pitched role.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I get being frustrated with Arcia and his lack of production over the last calendar year but the comments of judging his work ethic based on how he plays the game are just so, so, wrong. You think because he is loose and has fun with his teammates that he doesn't work hard? What a terrible way to judge a person at any job placement especially a guy playing baseball. What a truly awful, horrific take by some.

Side note: Peralta is working his way towards his own "crow served" thread. Love the game he is throwing today.

I'll be first in line for a grilled slice, please :)

Anyone want to take a stab guessing the last two pitchers to throw CGSO for the Brewers? They did it the same season (one did it twice that year).

I'm pretty sure Gallardo had one where he also scored the only run of the game, maybe back in 2011ish time..not sure. I dont think Grienke had one for us but he did have the game where he allowed 0 R in 9IP but was removed for extras I believe. So Ill say Gallardo and Wolf?

I was at that game in April 2009 against the Pirates on weather day at the ballpark. Gallardo and the Brewers won 1-0, the only score on a Gallardo HR. It is not the correct answer though because Carlos Villanueva pitched the ninth.

I'll be first in line for a grilled slice, please :)

Also, agree with your Arcia take. Completely.

Alex Wilson was born in Saudi Arabia. Huh.

Wiki with a couple of interesting tidbits on Wilson.

Wilson was born in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia where his father, Jim Wilson, worked as a geologist for Aramco. Jim played college football in the NAIA at Hanover College before being cut by the Cincinnati Bengals, declining an offer from the Green Bay Packers and returning to graduate school.

I get being frustrated with Arcia and his lack of production over the last calendar year but the comments of judging his work ethic based on how he plays the game are just so, so, wrong. You think because he is loose and has fun with his teammates that he doesn't work hard?

I don't know how hard he works on his preparation, but I know he didn't work very hard on that grounder to Iglesias.

Anyone want to take a stab guessing the last two pitchers to throw CGSO for the Brewers? They did it the same season (one did it twice that year).

I'm pretty sure Gallardo had one where he also scored the only run of the game, maybe back in 2011ish time..not sure. I dont think Grienke had one for us but he did have the game where he allowed 0 R in 9IP but was removed for extras I believe. So Ill say Gallardo and Wolf?

I was at that game in April 2009 against the Pirates on weather day at the ballpark. Gallardo and the Brewers won 1-0, the only score on a Gallardo HR. It is not the correct answer though because Carlos Villanueva pitched the ninth.

I was thinking of this game in 2011, I remember it was our first win of the year after an 0-4 start and Yo really dominated. Shutout and he scored the only run of the game which is pretty rare

I get being frustrated with Arcia and his lack of production over the last calendar year but the comments of judging his work ethic based on how he plays the game are just so, so, wrong. You think because he is loose and has fun with his teammates that he doesn't work hard?

I don't know how hard he works on his preparation, but I know he didn't work very hard on that grounder to Iglesias.

Yeah, the lack of hustle on that play should be criticized. The rest, yikes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Tough not to be tempted to send him back out there at 100 for a CG shot, but you can't. He was starting to catch too much of the plate and you have no margin.

I wonder if that had to do with pitch 5 and 6 at 95 and 96 as #7 was place perfectly back at 94.

I still don't think you run him out there in his 2nd start to go well above 100 pitches. Votto will get a PA.

I'm probably in the minority, I'd let Freddy start the 9th inning and see what happens.

I wouldn't be against it. He's young and the 100 pitch "limit" stuff is just ridiculous to me. Have a conversation about how he is feeling and make the call.

This is why I keep defending/ hyping Peralta since A ball. To say he has the lowest floor ceiling compared to Woodruff/Burnes is silly. Peralta is only 22 and this is far from the 1st really good start he's had. He has (and will) have a few clunkers mixed in, but at least he's proven he's capable of having really strong starts.

He isn't stretched out for a full season of innings yet and it is early in the season so he isn't stretched out for 100+ pitches for a game yet, no reason at all to try to push him in this scenario. Very easy decision to use the bullpen.

Yeah, the lack of hustle on that play should be criticized. The rest, yikes.

And you know so much about Arcia?

Do you think there are not players that don't take it as seriously as they should and greatly underperform because of it? I don't recall ever saying "having fun was wrong"...ever. Or even talking about fun at all.

Id say at least 25% of the NFL woud fall under the "not taking it seriously category". So many fail and underperform because they don't put in the work necessary.

Never said Arcia did or didn't. All this talk about laughing, smiling, and having fun like I even mentioned that.

This is why I keep defending/ hyping Peralta since A ball. To say he has the lowest floor ceiling compared to Woodruff/Burnes is silly. Peralta is only 22 and this is far from the 1st really good start he's had. He has (and will) have a few clunkers mixed in, but at least he's proven he's capable of having really strong starts.

As I pointed out when I said that, it isn't a knock on Peralta as much as it is strong belief in Woodruff and Burnes being really good. Also, I also pointed out it was my opinion, and I wouldn't call someone who disagreed with my opinion "silly".

I would have let him come out if he didn't throw 20 pitches to Puig. Just seemed like the good stopping point.

Yah, the long AB to Puig ended any possibility. Though I don't think there was a chance even if he threw three pitches. Counsell allowing someone to throw a CG is like the white whale of managing moves for him. Not saying that is wrong though. There is probably little reason to let someone ever to 9 nine inning outside of a tip of the cap courtesy. I would probably let Jeff Suppan come back and pitch the 9th over just about anyone outside of the elite of the elite. By that time you are so tired and the other team has seen you so much your effectiveness is really questionable.

Archived