Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-03: Brewers (Peralta) at Reds (Castillo) [Brewers win, 1-0 -- Peralta pitches a gem ~ 8.0 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 11 K]

Eye Black
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always gotten the jist Arcia thinks his defense is just going to carry him on an MLB roster as long as he wishes. I don't know, all last year and to start the year he doesn't really look like a guy who is sporting a .550 OPS. Always goofing around during games messing with fans when he should probably watch our pitchers at the plate to learn something.

I just don't get how he still rocks the same horrid approach at the plate and bad swings. He has never made sense to me and it may never make sense. Never would I have thought Arcia would be so bad at the plate to deserve to be replaced at SS. All he needs to be is below average hitting wise to make himself an okay to solid starter.

At a certain point it gets a bit circular. It's harder to bust it down the line when you are 1-20, you start to get down on yourself and it breeds bad habits. That's how most people are wired. "****, I grounded out again." Then the crappy habits hurt performance. It's not an excuse, but it really stands out when you're not performing. I don't know what his deal is. This guy was hitting .280 two seasons ago.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have always gotten the jist Arcia thinks his defense is just going to carry him on an MLB roster as long as he wishes. I don't know, all last year and to start the year he doesn't really look like a guy who is sporting a .550 OPS. Always goofing around during games messing with fans when he should probably watch our pitchers at the plate to learn something.

I just don't get how he still rocks the same horrid approach at the plate and bad swings. He has never made sense to me and it may never make sense. Never would I have thought Arcia would be so bad at the plate to deserve to be replaced at SS. All he needs to be is below average hitting wise to make himself an okay to solid starter.

I know age isn't a great excuse, but I think we forget that he's only 24. Some immaturity is probably expected.

I know age isn't a great excuse, but I think we forget that he's only 24. Some immaturity is probably expected.

I wonder if the Brewers have a behavioral therapist that works with the team. Baseball is such a mental game. Season is long. Seems like a no brainer.

I have always gotten the jist Arcia thinks his defense is just going to carry him on an MLB roster as long as he wishes. I don't know, all last year and to start the year he doesn't really look like a guy who is sporting a .550 OPS.

You would have think that getting demoted to AAA would have gotten the message through to him.

It's mind-boggling to me that a 24 year old who had a .576 OPS last year and is rosterable on an MLB team only because of his defense would risk his entire way of life by not hustling.

Someday he might get sent down to AAA and never make it back up. What he has could be taken away at any time and he doesn't seem to get it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have always gotten the jist Arcia thinks his defense is just going to carry him on an MLB roster as long as he wishes. I don't know, all last year and to start the year he doesn't really look like a guy who is sporting a .550 OPS.

You would have think that getting demoted to AAA would have gotten the message through to him.

It's mind-boggling to me that a 24 year old who had a .576 OPS last year and is rosterable on an MLB team only because of his defense would risk his entire way of life by not hustling.

Someday he might get sent down to AAA and never make it back up. What he has could be taken away at any time and he doesn't seem to get it.

You just described 90% of the mid-20s workforce in this country, unfortunately.

I'm a little surprised that they're going with Gamel in CF over Yelich.

I'm not at all. Gamel has serious wheels. I don't know what he's timed at but the guy just flies. I was pretty meh on him, but after watching him in game I think he has serious sleeper addition potential.

Ya he's looked pretty solid out there today. Historically Gamel has graded out poorly in most publicly available defensive metrics. Obviously the Brewers have better information than we have as fans so I trust their decision making.

It will be interesting to see if it continues the rest of the year when Gamel starts in place of Cain.

I wonder if the Brewers have a behavioral therapist that works with the team. Baseball is such a mental game. Season is long.

Seems like a no brainer.

I see what you did there.

Yah, I don't try to pretend like I know Arcia and what goes on in the clubhouse etc...but watching him just doesn't really scream, "I am serious." I watched him at a game last year where he spent 2 innings messing around with two kids pretending like he was going to throw them a ball just to not too.

I never find age as a good excuse, I care more about how long you have been in the majors. He is on his 4th year(3rd full). Probably time to hustle, pay attention to the game, and show some kind of improvement in your approach...not the opposite.

He just does not come off as a guy who grinds it out in the cage and works hard to get better. Maybe I am wrong, but successful major league players who do grind to be better usually don't look like what he is at the plate.

Nice to see our offense has decided to take the day off.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Yah, I don't try to pretend like I know Arcia and what goes on in the clubhouse etc...but watching him just doesn't really scream, "I am serious." I watched him at a game last year where he spent 2 innings messing around with two kids pretending like he was going to throw them a ball just to not too.

To me, that would scream, "I'm having fun playing baseball," which is a good thing. Clearly, he hasn't been good at the plate during the bulk of his short career, but nobody here knows why. Just because he smiles and laughs and has fun doesn't mean he isn't trying to get better.

I remember when we had our team picture for the baseball team in high school, I was the only one who smiled. One of my teammates asked me why and said, "You have to take the game seriously."

"I do take it seriously," I said. "But I can have fun at the same time."

To me, that would scream, "I'm having fun playing baseball," which is a good thing. Clearly, he hasn't been good at the plate during the bulk of his short career, but nobody here knows why. Just because he smiles and laughs and has fun doesn't mean he isn't trying to get better.

I remember when we had our team picture for the baseball team in high school, I was the only one who smiled. One of my teammates asked me why and said, "You have to take the game seriously."

"I do take it seriously," I said. "But I can have fun at the same time."

It's all mumbo jumbo. If he never smiled, it would be something about how he's not having fun out there and thinking too much. Sorta like how Aaron Rodgers's grimaces take on new meaning every other year.

Anyone want to take a stab guessing the last two pitchers to throw CGSO for the Brewers? They did it the same season (one did it twice that year).

Nelson threw one in 2017 but I'm baffled as to who threw two that same year.

Edit: Just realized it's complete game shut out and Nelson's wasn't that.

Archived