Brewer Fanatic

Ken Giles?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No link or any speculation, other than the Blue Jays seem to be in a total rebuild, and there are indications that they are looking to deal major league assets for prospects. Ken Giles is formerly a very high-end reliever who fell out of favor in Houston last year before getting shipped to Toronto. It would make sense that they would make him available. Thoughts?

No link or any speculation, other than the Blue Jays seem to be in a total rebuild, and there are indications that they are looking to deal major league assets for prospects. Ken Giles is formerly a very high-end reliever who fell out of favor in Houston last year before getting shipped to Toronto. It would make sense that they would make him available. Thoughts?

No thanks, inconsistent up-and-down career.

In my opinion, if memory serves me right, he’s a head case. I thought he had a run-in with the manager or the front office so they shipped him to Toronto.

Yeah he'd be a decent option. Probably won't come all that cheaply though, they might want to wait until the deadline to have more potential bidders and likely a better return. Having another year of control is attractive too, even if that does bring up the price. But a career 2.78/2.36/2.83 ERA/FIP/xFIP is certainly an excellent record. It would depend on how they view his issues last year, if they think it's temporary or not. Underlying numbers were still pretty good so I wouldn't be too worried.

I think if you added Giles, you would immediately make everyone else in the bullpen look better...

Wanna look thin, hang around with fat people.

Because he would slot into the closer role and then Hader could be used in the role that seemed to best suit him last year.....or because you believe he's worse than the other relievers we have?

From Fangraphs;

Profile: After two and a half seasons of up and down performance as the team’s primary closer, the Astros decided to move on, shipping Ken Giles to the Blue Jays in July. After landing in Toronto, Giles was perfect in save situations, but struggled in non-save situations, which is to say, he continued to be inconsistent. Giles threw his fastball more often (58.7%) in 2018 than he did in 2017 (52.7%), which was a problem given it is less effective than his slider. Some of this was bad luck - his xSLG on his fastball was 46 points lower than his actual SLG. His FIP (3.08) and xFIP (3.27) were also a full run lower than his career-high 4.65 ERA and his SwStr% remained stable (16.0%). Giles should enter 2019 as the Jays’ closer and can contribute in Ks and saves. Assuming some positive regression, he won’t kill you in ERA and WHIP either. (Nick Dika)

I guess if the Blue Jays basically gave him to us, or took back a couple low end prospects at most, fine. But for 6.5 million....I'd rather let it play out. I'd feel better about guys like this is DJ were still around.

But hey, he has a -.43 FIP so far this year....kinda hard to beat that, right? And I'd put that in blue, but I think I saw someone citing our BP rankings after 4 games.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived