Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-02: Brewers (Chacín) at Reds (DeSclafani) [Brewers win, 4-3 -- Arcia hits opposite field 3-run HR]

Eye Black
Well the question is why didnt he pitch the 8th against the heart of the order? I guess Guerra was looking pretty good, but last year he was more of a "relief ace" who was used in the most important situation rather than just waiting for the 9th regardless of the situation. I guess the main difference was Knebel/JJ available to be the closer last year

2 run lead in the 8th as well, plus Hader did pitch yesterday and as others have pointed out there isn't anyone else behind him I'd feel better closing out the game. On full rest maybe this is the type of game you give hader the last 6 outs - but the brewers need other pen arms to take larger roles until JJ hopefully gets back into the fold.

That is the case... either that, or pony up for Kimbrel.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also can't be overstated that the Reds have been the literal worst team in MLB for the last five years, that will go along way towards building fan apathy.

As much as I'm sure some posters would've loved for us to bottom out for that long, Attanasio has clearly had other designs & it shows in our attendance (especially when considered relative to market size) throughout his ownership tenure.

Why are we comparing our fanbase to that of the 90s? Yes, our fanbase sucked at one time. It doesn't anymore.

Its not really a comparison of fanbases at all. I don't think the fanbase ever really sucked, there just wasn't much to hope for during the Selig-Prieb years of the 2000s.

It's more of a note that baseball is a tough draw without a roof, in cold weather. Even during our successful years at County Stadium, we had those evenings..

First weekday night game of year in 2000, last season at County: attendance 7,007

You can’t compare that to the Reds. The fanbase is totally different than it was back in the 2000era. Since being relevant again we bottomed out at worst 2.35mil in 2016. That team in 2000 drew like 1.50mil.

Today’s fanbase would not have 7k show up.

Meh..

1992 Milwaukee Brewers.

Opening Day Attendance 52,470

Next Night Attendance 8,385

1982 Milwaukee Brewers

Second Home Series Attendance (Wed and Thu)

It happened.

In 1982 you would be top 3 in attendance if you averaged 30,000 per game and top 10 if you averaged a little over 22,000. It's just not at all comparable.

If Arcia is going to be good that PA is an expression of how he is going to do it though. If he can drive the ball opposite field it makes him such a better hitter. He just hasn't shown he can do it consistently at all. Hopefully that's a start of good things.

That’s what makes Arica frustrating. He has shown that he can be a decent hitter when he is willing to hit the ball up the middle and to the opposite field. And he has done it for extended periods. But then he reverts to the swing where his feet are moving all over the place and he tries to pull everything.

I don’t expect him to be a great hitter. But he is capable of hitting close to .250 with some power, which is more than acceptable for a good fielding SS hitting 8th.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

In 1982 you would be top 3 in attendance if you averaged 30,000 per game and top 10 if you averaged a little over 22,000. It's just not at all comparable.

That was my point in selecting a season like 1982. The Brewers ended the year 4th in the AL in attendance at over 24,000 a game but drew less than 10,000 until the 2nd week in May. A good team that was good the previous year, baseball is just a tough draw in the cold.

When your team is off to a 5-1 start and the back half of the night's game thread devolves into comparing your opponent's crowd size to your own team's from decades earlier, you know there's some grasping at straws to look for things to be upset about or debate! What is this, an inauguration??

Community Moderator

This isn't a baseball thing, attendance is down across the board in live sports.

I think the biggest difference in recent years is that nobody has the time to go to games anymore. Especially on weeknights. Then you add in the cold weather and 20-30 minutes additional time per game since the 80s.

I went to one weeknight game last year and probably wouldn't do it again unless I had the following day off or something. And I don't even have kids. TV viewership is completely the opposite, I almost never watch baseball on weekends, only weeknights.

Archived