Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-02: Brewers (Chacín) at Reds (DeSclafani) [Brewers win, 4-3 -- Arcia hits opposite field 3-run HR]

Eye Black
Community Moderator

47466706562_e6bac49ded_c_d.jpg

46603951525_b28704034e_c_d.jpg

[pre]Brewers Lineup Reds Lineup

1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF 1. Jesse Winker (L) LF

2. Christian Yelich (L) RF 2. Joey Votto (L) 1B

3. Travis Shaw (L) 3B 3. Yasiel Puig ® RF

4. Jesús Aguilar ® 1B 4. Eugenio Suarez ® 3B

5. Mike Moustakas (L) 2B 5. Scott Schebler (L) CF

6. Yasmani Grandal (S) C 6. Derek Dietrich (L) 2B

7. Ben Gamel (L) LF 7. Tucker Barnhart (S) C

8. Orlando Arcia ® SS 8. Jose Peraza ® SS

9. Jhoulys Chacín ® P 9. Anthony DeSclafani ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It always seems like DeSclafani pitches well against the Brewers... Hope the Offense can either get to him or get him out early with a high pitch count. Chacin's about an average pitcher in Great America Park, hopefully with the early season climate Chacin can induce a lot of ground ball outs tonight...

It always seems like DeSclafani pitches well against the Brewers... Hope the Offense can either get to him or get him out early with a high pitch count. Chacin's about an average pitcher in Great America Park, hopefully with the early season climate Chacin can induce a lot of ground ball outs tonight...

My info may be wrong, but in seven career starts against Milwaukee, he has an ERA of 5.14. 24 ER in 42.1 innings. That includes 8 scoreless in his first start against Milwaukee back in 2015. He has not given up fewer than 4 runs in each of his last four starts against Mil (6.35 ERA).

Chacin pitched twice in Cincinnati as a Brewer and five times in his career total going back to 2011. Overall, a 4.3 ERA. His last start was good, though, 5IP with 1ER in a 12-3 win.

My info may be wrong, but in seven career starts against Milwaukee, he has an ERA of 5.14. 24 ER in 42.1 innings. That includes 8 scoreless in his first start against Milwaukee back in 2015. He has not given up fewer than 4 runs in each of his last four starts against Mil (6.35 ERA).

Chacin pitched twice in Cincinnati as a Brewer and five times in his career total going back to 2011. Overall, a 4.3 ERA. His last start was good, though, 5IP with 1ER in a 12-3 win.

DeSclafani's tOPS+ against the Brewers is 76 (second best team for him). The counting stats probably reflect more bad luck as our raw OPS against him has been .662

Chacin's tOPS+ in GAP is 104 or roughly average.

So are you saying that Desclafani pitches well compared to himself against Milwaukee? As I understand tOPS+, it compares a player's home/road OPS against each other. I don't understand how that's an indicator of pitching well.

Yes, tOPS+ is a means of comparing splits to a players overall total. Compared to his career numbers, he pitches very well against the Brewers as only 1 other team (with more than 1 or 2 Games) has a lower tOPS+. OPS+ is probably a better overall measure looking at small samples, but I don't think it shows up on splits @ baseballrefernce.com.

Another issue to keep in mind when just looking at the raw R/ER numbers from the box score is that it could be that several times CIN relievers let the inherited baserunners score and those count against DeSclafani's numbers. So while the OPS numbers won't take those into account, the boxscore will apportion them to DeSclafani (elevating his ERA/RS).

The Raw OPS isn't adjusted for park/etc. His raw OPS is 0.662 when pitching against the Brewers. For comparison, Justin Verlander's raw OPS for his career is 0.657 so without taking any other factors into effect DeSclafani pitches like Justin Verlander when he pitches against the Brewers. Hence, my impression that he always seems to pitch well against the brewers...

2nd time Braun had a nice game and they put Gamel in the next night, Braun will likely get an AB but hate to see him sit when he is hitting well. I think he will end up on the IL a couple of times whether they rest him twice a week or not.

Nice start for Chacin. He doesn't get the fanfare that some of the others on the team get, but he sure does get the job done.

I'm generally against giving aged SP extensions, if Chacin would do another friendly deal I would love to extend him 2 years...

Braun doesn't get that Gamel fly snag, methinks!

Either does Domingo which is the real comparison.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived