Brewer Fanatic

2019-04-01: Brewers (Davies) at Reds (Roark) [Brewers win, 4-3 -- Braun drives in go ahead run in 9th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird how their half-assed attempt to contend isn't leading to better attendance.

Reds home opener 2018: 43,878

Reds home opener 2019: 44,049

Reds 1st Sunday 2018: 10,355

Reds 1st Sunday 2019: 18,737

So far, so good.

Three home games into the season is probably a little early to say if the Reds efforts to go from "literal worst team in MLB over the last five years" to "maybe somewhat respectable" will lead to increased attendance or not, but I'd imagine if they win some games people will come out & if they don't they won't.

Smallest crowd in over a decade tonight.

From 2010-13 the Reds made the playoffs three out of four seasons, their attendance rose every season from 2.061 million in 2010 to 2.492 million in 2013. Ten years ago they were competitive.

In the five years since, they've lost the most games in all of MLB & attendance has declined each year to 1.629 million in 2018.

I'll maintain if Cincy is closer to being a .500 team (which is all they are "contending" for this year) than they are to being the worst team in MLB they have been for the last five seasons that they will draw more than 1.629 million, if they suck again for a sixth year in a row they won't.

Guess we'll just have to check back in the fall to see if their plan "worked" or didn't.

Yeah this Reds team seems odd because they are hoping to get to .500 this year but in a way that doesn't seem sustainable at all as a lot of what is supposed to get them there is off the team soon. This looks like a team trying to put themselves in a spot that teams don't want to be in, roughly .500 with almost no chance at a playoff run. That is the worst spot your team can be in.

When you've been the worst team in MLB for a five year stretch & have seen attendance decline each year, you've got to at least give the illusion of trying.

None of the moves they made really put a dent into their future since they were mostly short term commitments & none of the guys they dealt were considered impact pieces anyway.

Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Some posters around here seem to think DJ is worth 10+ wins by himself.

If it doesn't work & they suck again, what have they really lost?

Community Moderator
Aaron Brooks who pitched for the Brewers in Colorado Springs last year (99.1 IP with a 3.35 ERA) has shut down the Red Sox so far through 5 innings for the A’s (5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 5 Ks).
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Recognizing that it’s only 5 games, and he has only played in 4, my biggest disappointment from these games has been seeing Arica revert to his undisciplined form at the plate. If he could just produce like he did for much of 2017 and late and in the playoffs last year, he would be a very solid number 8 hitter in a lineup with a strong 1-7. But I cringe when I see him striking out on 3 pitches waving at balls 2 feet off the plate. When he just stays patient and commits to hitting the ball up the middle and to right center, he has shown that he can be a productive hitter.

I’m also watching for signs that Aguilar can be more like the first half of 2018 version than the second half version. He hasn’t really driven the ball in the early games; maybe yesterday’s 2 run single will help him break the ice.

I also wonder how productive Thames can be as a pinch hitter and occasional starter. He may not make it through the season.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Jose Iglesias would have been a nice replacement for Arcia, but that ship obviously sailed...

Arcia is to Mendoza as Mendoza is to __________ (my guess Barry Bonds)...

what a piece of crap...

Iglesias was one of the guys I was thinking the Brewers should target for second base (prior to Moose signing) and for insurance if Arcia struggles again. He’s only getting $2.5 million this season and would of been a great cheap option to hit .250 and avoid having any black hole in the lineup all season. Arcia will probably get his chance the first 6-8 weeks of the season, but something will need to happen if this continues.

Archived