Brewer Fanatic

2019-03-31: Cardinals (Wacha) at Brewers (Burnes) [Yelich’s 4th HR in 4 games; Burnes records 12 K’s; Comeback walk-off win on Yelich double]

Eye Black
Burnes fastball spin rate is highest ever for a starter in stat cast era

Must be why they leave the ballpark so fast.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you don't. Maybe you make dominant relievers out of all of them like they did with Josh Hader, shorten all your games to 5 innings and fill your rotation with the Chase Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Zach Davies types and live with the 5 IP and 2-3 run outings.

I don't know if that's the answer or really what the answer is. I'm more just thinking out loud, or at least thinking in print.

I think having good starters is always the right answer. Would you ever trade a Chapman for a Kershaw straight up? In the case of the Brewers this year it is gong to take some time to work through things but I think they made the right choice.

It will take time... but this is a long season. I think that Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta will be very solid pitchers in the rotation. But even the best have rough days.

Yah that stat would be way cooler if they weren’t being deposited into the next county over.

It almost makes you wonder if any other talented starting pitcher has ever given up three home runs in a game.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

If good Matt Albers is back that is indeed some great news for this bullpen.

And I for one am encouraged by Burnes appearance. Has things to work on like any young starter, but keep pitching like that and good results will come out of it.

I don’t think it is crazy to think guys like Burnes and Peralta could be more valuable as relievers than starters. With so many pitchers throughout baseball struggling the third time through a lineup I think there is merit to the idea of pairing serviceable starters with high end relievers to dominate the middle-to-late innings. Having the flexibility to deploy elite bullpen arms based on the specific situations that play out during the game is such a huge advantage. They will be valuable for the Brewers future either way, but I don’t think the importance of what they could offer in relief should be dismissed.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Burnes gave up 2 solo shots to two mvp caliber hitters. The DeJong home run was a good pitch after a bad luck infield single. Those three home runs end up two doubles and a line out, which is the luck factor in baseball, and he pitches 6 innings and gives up 1-2 runs and strikes out 12. It was a good start and there is a lot to be excited for.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think having good starters is always the right answer. Would you ever trade a Chapman for a Kershaw straight up? In the case of the Brewers this year it is gong to take some time to work through things but I think they made the right choice.

I agree with this, but then I've always felt that a team should have its top arms in the rotation. The Brewers pulled a 180 from what they did last year. Last year's rotation had a bunch of safe, league average pitchers. This year's rotation definitely has a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor. That has played out to a T so far.

And I for one am encouraged by Burnes appearance. Has things to work on like any young starter, but keep pitching like that and good results will come out of it.

But why can't the brewers have SP prospects that are fantastic from the first game, just like every other team [/whine]

Yah that stat would be way cooler if they weren’t being deposited into the next county over.

You guys are tough to please. Score not withstanding, Burnes showed today,the outside baseball world he’s a star, TOR in the making. We got 2 now, 3 if Nelson goes to rotation.

The way Burnes start is looked at changes when he gives up that 4th run. Not saying that is right but if he holds them to 3-runs, the line just looks better and people are more positive about it IMO.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Burnes pitched very well. 12 Ks was very impressive and I don’t think he could be expected to pitch any better. Between Yelich and Goldy what a HR battle we are going to see.

A really nice at-bat by Pina there. I'm trying to stay positive about Thames and Aguilar but I really am not happy we went with them going forward. I just don't think they are very good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The way Burnes start is looked at changes when he gives up that 4th run. Not saying that is right but if he holds them to 3-runs, the line just looks better and people are more positive about it IMO.

What we saw was a young, inconsistent starter. Very similar to what Peralta showed last year. And people are pretty much all over the map on Peralta. But you're right ... we're going to have to live through these guys' growing pains. They'll be better if the team sticks with them.

What we saw was a young, inconsistent starter. Very similar to what Peralta showed last year. And people are pretty much all over the map on Peralta. But you're right ... we're going to have to live through these guys' growing pains. They'll be better if the team sticks with them.

I would've really liked to have seen Burnes get into his secondary pitches more the third time through. That is my complaint (other than giving up gopher balls).

I like Thames, he just seems like a really great likeable dude. But damn is he ever brutal to watch these days. It's like the guy who just exploded back in April '17 and turned heads throughout MLB never even existed.

A really nice at-bat by Pina there. I'm trying to stay positive about Thames and Aguilar but I really am not happy we went with them going forward. I just don't think they are very good.

Aguilar was the perfect candidate for selling high. I think he just has a first half to remember that he'll never come close to duplicating. Maybe his second half lowered his trade value, or maybe not, but it looks to me like the right side of the infield is a liability.

Aguilar was the perfect candidate for selling high. I think he just has a first half to remember that he'll never come close to duplicating. Maybe his second half lowered his trade value, or maybe not, but it looks to me like the right side of the infield is a liability.

I've thought many times of trading for Goldschmidt and moving Aguilar/Thames. Thus letting Huira play 2B eventually this season.

I don't know if the discussion is so much about sticking with them as it is about which role they can be most beneficial to the team in.

Long-term, you may be right. Short-term, as in 2019....its going to be really tough to go with those 3 in the rotation, live through their growing pains, not have the backup in the bullpen anymore, and expect to improve on last year's team. Just not sure that is likely.

Archived