Brewer Fanatic

2019-03-31: Cardinals (Wacha) at Brewers (Burnes) [Yelich’s 4th HR in 4 games; Burnes records 12 K’s; Comeback walk-off win on Yelich double]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This team will not manufacture runs, so we should not complain about it this year?!?!

Huh? Manufacturing runs was this team's Achilles Heel last year, and it's been more of the same this year. And yeah, they brought in Grandal and Moose to help that. Still early, but a lot of the same so far.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool strikeouts Burnes. Now keep the ball in the ballpark or we might as well start Anderson.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Gotta wake the bats up. Would be a shame to see this showing from Burnes go all for naught.

Quite the 4.50 ERA showing so far.

So ERA is going to be the determining factor for you?

I’d think step one for making his start not all for naught is by actually limiting runs. 4.50 ERA sucks (now 8.31).

Strikeouts are meaningless when you don’t know how to limit runs.

What a showing.

They keep talking about his arsenal of pitches. Does Pina not know of this? Or is it just Rock being, well, Rock?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’d think step one for making his start not all for naught is by actually limiting runs. 4.50 ERA sucks (now 8.31).

What a showing.

It's his first start. Give me a break. Peralta should immediately be released if that is your standard.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Tough to see a guy who has been this nasty get hammered at the same time. Talent is undeniable.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing as well. I guess it is typical of a young pitcher, though. Gonna be growing pains with these guys.

Still, it's only 4-1. With the Brewers' offensive firepower, they aren't out of it.

I know you have to give the young guys a shot to start at some point, but we had a great model last year. A bunch of "meh" starters that could give you 5 innings and 2 runs, but several power arms that could dominate 1 or 2 innings out of the pen to bridge the gap to the late innings.

This year the model is pretty much the opposite. I don't know that it's going to work as well.

I know you have to give the young guys a shot to start at some point, but we had a great model last year. A bunch of "meh" starters that could give you 5 innings and 2 runs, but several power arms that could dominate 1 or 2 innings out of the pen to bridge the gap to the late innings.

This year the model is pretty much the opposite. I don't know that it's going to work as well.

But when do you give guys like our trio a chance at being a starting pitcher? It’s not like they aren’t talented enough to be starters. I just don’t think you can keep them relieving for multiple seasons.

What a showing.

It's his first start. Give me a break. Peralta should immediately be released if that is your standard.

What are you even talking about?

He said it would be a shame if the offense was going to waste his outing when he was repping a 4.50 ERA pace at the time. Are we really going to blame the offense for wasting a guys performance because they didn’t score 5+ runs to make his strikeouts look cool?

Usually to waste a pitchers stellar outting said pitcher needs to give up a run or zero...or give up two and go 8+ innings. Not go 5 innings of 2 run ball. Though as we can see he couldn’t even manage that.

But when do you give guys like our trio a chance at being a starting pitcher? It’s not like they aren’t talented enough to be starters. I just don’t think you can keep them relieving for multiple seasons.

In theory, they made the offensive upgrades to be able to roll with the punches to the pitching staff and still stay in games. Of course, that's only on paper. These guys still need to hit (other than HRs) consistently.

This team will not manufacture runs, so we should not complain about it this year?!?!

Huh? Manufacturing runs was this team's Achilles Heel last year, and it's been more of the same this year. And yeah, they brought in Grandal and Moose to help that. Still early, but a lot of the same so far.

It’s early but it just doesn’t seem it’s in the crew dna. Front office on down thru players

He said it would be a shame if the offense was going to waste his outing when he was repping a 4.50 ERA pace at the time. Are we really going to blame the offense for wasting a guys performance because they didn’t score 5+ runs to make his strikeouts look cool?

Usually to waste a pitchers stellar outting said pitcher needs to give up a run or zero...or give up two and go 8+ innings. Not go 5 innings of 2 run ball. Though as we can see he couldn’t even manage that.

Yeah, have nice day now.

Maybe you don't. Maybe you make dominant relievers out of all of them like they did with Josh Hader, shorten all your games to 5 innings and fill your rotation with the Chase Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Zach Davies types and live with the 5 IP and 2-3 run outings.

I don't know if that's the answer or really what the answer is. I'm more just thinking out loud, or at least thinking in print. But I will say that Hader probably has a higher starter upside than any of them and that decision has certainly worked out pretty well for us.

What a showing.

What are you even talking about?

I said that when Burnes had given up 2 runs, and was putting up high K numbers. Yeah, he was having a nice outing. The big improvements they made to the team this offseason was to the offense. So yeah, you're damn right I'm going to expect them to score runs. They aren't gonna win many games with solo Yelich HRs as the only tally.

Maybe you don't. Maybe you make dominant relievers out of all of them like they did with Josh Hader, shorten all your games to 5 innings and fill your rotation with the Chase Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Zach Davies types and live with the 5 IP and 2-3 run outings.

I don't know if that's the answer or really what the answer is. I'm more just thinking out loud, or at least thinking in print.

I think having good starters is always the right answer. Would you ever trade a Chapman for a Kershaw straight up? In the case of the Brewers this year it is gong to take some time to work through things but I think they made the right choice.

Certainly I would take Kershaw over Chapman, but Kershaw is a generational pitcher and the odds that we get even just one Kershaw out of any of our young pitchers is pretty minuscule.

I think it would be more accurate to ask if you'd rather have 80-85 innings situational innings of a 2.00-2.25 ERA pitcher or 175 rigid innings of a 3.50-3.75 ERA pitcher.

Archived