Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

RollieTime
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He might hit 60 homers
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He might hit 60 homers

I think it was still just two or three weeks ago someone was still arguing that this trade could end up being a good deal for both teams.

I think the Jury is out on this one. Imagine if we inexplicably wanted to trade him right now what we could get for him.

If Yelich was a FA this year, this would be one of the best acquisitions in Wisconsin sports history. That he's here through 2022...it's ridiculous.

It’s hard to find comparison for what he is doing right now & just his pure dominance since last all-star break! Cross sports, this is on of the best a players have been. Almost like ARod in Packers Super Bowl run through 15-1 regular season where defenses didn’t stand a chance. January 25th is arguably one of the biggest days in Brewer history! Because Yelich has been so good, many overlook what Cain has done as well! To get both those guys in the same day has changed this franchise!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

He gets a lot of power out of that toothpick body of his. Looks like he's never touched a weight in his life.

8096955.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,offset-y0.50&width=1200&height=630

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yelich's BABIP is actually about 50 points lower than his career norm right now. I'm sure a chunk of that is just that his hard hit balls are in the air more often now and leaving the park, but even last year with a lower AVG he had a .373 BABIP compared to a .304 BABIP so far in 2019 despite a monstrous 59.4% hard hit rate (47.6% in 2018, 38.1% career).

So, yes, what I'm actually about to say is.......Yelich may actually be pretty unlucky at the plate so far this year. Some......POSITIVE regression is possible?

Also, having just typed it out, it's crazy that Yelich has a 59.4% hard hit rate. 3 out of every 5 balls he hits in play are hit hard.......this guy is unstoppable.

Looking at Fangraphs leaderboards from 2002-2018, the best hard hit rate for a season is 2007 Ryan Howard with 55.2%. Next closest is 2018 Matt Carpenter at 49%.

Howard hit .268/.392/.584 that year with 47 dingers (he just couldn't make contact, 30.7% K rate).

We've been thinking Christian Yelich was peak-Braun, but what if he's peak Ryan Howard but with (much) better contact?

Good time to sell high on him it sounds like.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 3 months later...
With 1 more homerun, Yelich will become the 19th player in MLB history to join the 40+ homerun and 20+ stolen base club. No player in history has hit 50+ homeruns and had 30+ stolen bases in the same season. If Yelich can stay healthy, he will have a real shot at becoming the first player in history to accomplish that feat.

With 1 more homerun, Yelich will become the 19th player in MLB history to join the 40+ homerun and 20+ stolen base club. No player in history has hit 50+ homeruns and had 30+ stolen bases in the same season. If Yelich can stay healthy, he will have a real shot at becoming the first player in history to accomplish that feat.

Would first ever 50/30 club lock him in for MVP? I feel like it would have to, but Bellinger is also having a crazy good season and is better defensively.

Would first ever 50/30 club lock him in for MVP? I feel like it would have to, but Bellinger is also having a crazy good season and is better defensively.

usatoday article on just this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/08/06/christian-yelich-cody-bellinger-nl-mvp/1930338001/

Not even close. The only thing that will make him a lock for the MVP is the Triple Crown. The fact we are starting to circle the toilet it may be the only way to even win as missing the postseason pretty much kills any chance at the MVP. It is ridiculously close right now though. If we make it as a WC team I bet Bellinger would win because his team is better and Yelich won last year.

Was just talking about this earlier today as well. This MVP race is going to be one of the all time race' no matter who wins (barring injury of course which would virtually eliminate one) and with the loser having one of the strongest non winning seasons possible. As crazy as Yelich's stats are Bellinger's are just a tick less. Being that he's on the Dodgers and MKE is currently trending towards not making the playoffs I'd have my money on Bellinger.

Not even close. The only thing that will make him a lock for the MVP is the Triple Crown. The fact we are starting to circle the toilet it may be the only way to even win as missing the postseason pretty much kills any chance at the MVP. It is ridiculously close right now though. If we make it as a WC team I bet Bellinger would win because his team is better and Yelich won last year.

If Bellinger falls back 30-50 points in OPS while yelich maintains, that might do it also. It's truly a 2 horse race in my opinion. The triple crown actually appears somewhat attainable. He's only ahead in HR, but he's only 1 point behind in average and 5 rbi at the moment. A strong finish could get him there.

If Yelich goes 50/30 and doesn' twin the MVP it will only be because voters just don't want the same guy to win it two years in a row. I doubt most of them look at defensive win shares or anything like that. If Bellinger was like Lo Cain out there then maybe but it's close enough between the two where I doubt it comes into play.

If Bellinger falls back 30-50 points in OPS while yelich maintains, that might do it also. It's truly a 2 horse race in my opinion. The triple crown actually appears somewhat attainable. He's only ahead in HR, but he's only 1 point behind in average and 5 rbi at the moment. A strong finish could get him there.

In my opinion 50-30 is amazing, but more of a fun fact elite stat. I just don't think it is going to get hyped. The Triple Crown is like the grand daddy of league domination. I can't see some with the later losing the MVP. I don't really like his chances though, the competition is way to dense in RBIs and to some extent AVG. If he pulls it off with all the competition any writer voting someone else should be smacked.

He is going to need a sizeable gap to win without the triple crown and missing the postseason. He is notably BEHIND Bellinger in WAR...not really a good look. Can't see him winning with a lower WAR and not in the postseason.

If Yelich goes 50/30 and doesn' twin the MVP it will only be because voters just don't want the same guy to win it two years in a row.

That and last year we won the division and #1 seed and this year we're flirting with .500 and just trying to stay alive in the playoff race while Bellinger's team is blowing everyone else in the NL out of the water. Team performance is important to a lot of voters.

If Yelich goes 50/30 and doesn' twin the MVP it will only be because voters just don't want the same guy to win it two years in a row. I doubt most of them look at defensive win shares or anything like that. If Bellinger was like Lo Cain out there then maybe but it's close enough between the two where I doubt it comes into play.

For MVP, team wins matter. Bellinger will likely lead a 1st place team and best team in the NL, and that tips the scales for close calls on MVP.

For MVP, team wins matter. Bellinger will likely lead a 1st place team and best team in the NL, and that tips the scales for close calls on MVP.

Which is also dumb.

Also a team that has a stacked lineup and pitching staff. Take Bellinger out of that lineup, and that team is still winning 95+ games. How many wins do the Brewers have without Yelich?

Archived