Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

RollieTime
Hard to get in without 3k hits or 500 bombs. You essentially have to be Ozzie with the leather. Walker is a decent comp with Cecil Cooper, who isn't in for the same reason.

Meh... Cooper was a 1st basemen. Walker was an EXCELLENT right fielder with a cannon for an arm who swiped bags at a pretty good clip too. And he won an MVP. He was a complete ballplayer by any measure of the term who should be and will be in the HOF.

Don't disagree but Coop was a GG winner, a top 10 MVP vote-getter for several years, and if he hit either bench mark, would be in. It's really hard to get in without doing one of the two, at least it was before PEDs...just saying.

Conversations in life veer into other topics. I never got the "can we stick to this" stuff. It is of no harm, but I do agree it's oddly off this track in this case, lol. Those HOF convos are just always a lot of fun to me.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yelich is on pace to be awesome.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Walker was a RF and it looks like Yelich will be playing a lot of RF for the Brewers for some time. I think the implied player comparison is reasonable (arm strength being the obvious difference), and it's not surprising that some people ended up debating Walker's place in baseball history when debating the merits of a "Brewer for life" extension for Yelich. Obviously it's a few degrees of separation removed from the original discussion, but it's not like a bullpen debate somehow weaseled its way into this thread.

I've never seen Mark A say anything negative about any of those three trades. Perhaps you could jog my memory and show me where he has said that or even hinted at it?

Every time I've heard Mark talk about the trades, namely for CC and Greinke, he's spoken glowingly about them. I'd be interested to hear him say he learned a lesson and it was to not make those types of trades again.

Not about those three trades in particular, just about the overall philosophy of how they had run the team in a way that was not sustainable. I'm looking all over for the comments, but he's commented on the team so often over the years that it's hard to find the one you're looking for. I know it was when they were bottoming out and he talked about how he had to examine his role in leading the team to that point. It was also around the time when "tanking" was slowly becoming an accepted necessary evil in the media. I think it was probably around the time of the Stearns hire as well, with the change in philosophy that was anticipated to coincide with Stearns' arrival.

I found some similar comments here, but this is not nearly as extensive as the comments I'm remembering, which were more specific about depleting the talent pipeline too much.

“Where we failed, and this starts with me and the zeal to compete each and every year, is we got into the middle and stayed in the middle. If you’re a .500 team, you’re competitive, and that’s not what we’re trying to do, simply be a consistent .500 team.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/sports/baseball/brewers-new-gm-looks-to-change-story-line.html

I'm not really seeing a connection being dissatisfaction of being .500 and trading for Sabathia and Greinke. I think you may be reading into that a bit much, and I don't think Mark A. would ever say he regrets getting either of those guys at the cost paid. I'm also not sure those deals left them in .500 purgatory either. Something like signing Aramis Ramirez for 3/36 would fit that mold more for me.

I've never seen Mark A say anything negative about any of those three trades. Perhaps you could jog my memory and show me where he has said that or even hinted at it?

Every time I've heard Mark talk about the trades, namely for CC and Greinke, he's spoken glowingly about them. I'd be interested to hear him say he learned a lesson and it was to not make those types of trades again.

Not about those three trades in particular, just about the overall philosophy of how they had run the team in a way that was not sustainable. I'm looking all over for the comments, but he's commented on the team so often over the years that it's hard to find the one you're looking for. I know it was when they were bottoming out and he talked about how he had to examine his role in leading the team to that point. It was also around the time when "tanking" was slowly becoming an accepted necessary evil in the media. I think it was probably around the time of the Stearns hire as well, with the change in philosophy that was anticipated to coincide with Stearns' arrival.

I found some similar comments here, but this is not nearly as extensive as the comments I'm remembering, which were more specific about depleting the talent pipeline too much.

“Where we failed, and this starts with me and the zeal to compete each and every year, is we got into the middle and stayed in the middle. If you’re a .500 team, you’re competitive, and that’s not what we’re trying to do, simply be a consistent .500 team.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/sports/baseball/brewers-new-gm-looks-to-change-story-line.html

That's totally different, though. What he's saying here is he's messed up trying to make a team that isn't competitive into a competitor by making a few moves (trading for Geraldo Parra comes to mind). I think it's completely different when you know your team is already competitive, and you fork over a big package in an attempt to put them over the top. I don't think I've ever seen him say he regrets those deals, and why would he? The goal is to get to the playoffs, and those deals effectively did that.

I'm not really seeing a connection being dissatisfaction of being .500 and trading for Sabathia and Greinke. I think you may be reading into that a bit much, and I don't think Mark A. would ever say he regrets getting either of those guys at the cost paid. I'm also not sure those deals left them in .500 purgatory either. Something like signing Aramis Ramirez for 3/36 would fit that mold more for me.

That's not the actual quote though, it's just the closest thing I can find right now. I'm almost positive he talked about not making short-sighted trades anymore. I think the way they've been operating for several years shows that he's tacitly acknowledging that he needed to be more patient. I do know that he talked about not being able to let the farm system get so weak again, especially as a small market team, and it's reasonable to infer that this would change his perspective on that sort of trade. We haven't seen them do much stuff like that for a while.

Like I said, I'm not even saying those were truly bad trades, but I definitely think they're contrary to sustainable small market success, which is his goal. I don't want to see them build up great farm systems and only get two years of playoff contention (with one year as a legitimate contender) out of it before another 5-7 years of mediocrity. There is way too much uncertainty but small markets can't just be giving up all their young talent for rentals. Sustained mediocrity is an almost inevitable result of that, even if you get a couple good years out of it.

I think the moves they've made (and more importantly, not made) in recent seasons speaks volumes about their new philosophy. Take Machado for example - I don't know exactly what their offer was, but it wouldn't have taken as much as they gave up for Sabathia. And if they had made the move, they would have made the playoffs (they did anyway) and many people would say it was worth it. But then maybe Burnes or Woodruff produces 12-15 WAR for the Orioles over the next 5 years at rock-bottom price (Cain, Brantley) and they start making the playoffs because they're now doing what small market teams should do (again, all hypotheticals)... so does the fact that the Brewers make the playoffs in 2018 prove trading for Machado was a good idea? Not to mention the fact that another opportunity like trading for Yelich might come along and you now have a lot less to offer because you squandered a really good young pitching prospect to rent Machado.

I don't think so. It's all speculation, but in the long term small market teams maximize their wins and playoff appearances by avoiding win-now trades like that. They save their prospects for themselves or for better surplus value opportunities like Yelich, not rentals like Greinke or Sabathia that they'll never be able to keep. And since it's hard to know who will be a Sabathia and who will be a Marcum, it's best just to err on the side of keeping your prospects most of the time.

Goldy is going to give Yelich a run for his money in the MVP voting this season. I think it’s going to come down to those two when all is said and done. Man would having Goldschmidt in the 3 hole behind Yelich be unfair for opposing staffs.

Goldy is going to give Yelich a run for his money in the MVP voting this season. I think it’s going to come down to those two when all is said and done. Man would having Goldschmidt in the 3 hole behind Yelich be unfair for opposing staffs.

Cain

Yelich

Goldy

Braun

Shaw

Moustakas

Grandal

Arcia

Oh man would that have been fun. Wish they would’ve listened to me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Cain

Yelich

Goldy

Braun

Shaw

Moustakas

Grandal

Arcia

Oh man would that have been fun. Wish they would’ve listened to me.

I was hoping for him as well. He’s just a fantastic hitter that has some great years left in him. Brewers still lack quality right handed power and he would of solidified that instantly. Aguilar’s struggles post All-Star break were a big concern and still are today. I expected Braun to have a big year this year, but outside of him and Cain at the top, they really lack right handed pop.

• 2 weeks later...
Price of waiting to extend him goes up by the day.

Good. Let some other team pay him out of his prime years.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We essentially extended Yelich when we traded for him, no reason to tack on more years/dollars at this point.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Yelich post-ASB in 2018:

65 G

294 PA

.367/.449/.770

wRC+ 220

11.9 BB%

17.7 K%

BABIP .385

Yelich so far in 2019:

17 G

78 PA

.354/.449/.785

wRC+ 202

14.1 BB%

14.1 K%

BABIP .319

No signs of regression yet. To combat his BABIP regression, he's just hitting even more dingers.

Against the Cardinals so far this season (5 games) Christian Yelich is now 9-for-16 with 7 walks, 7 home runs, and 15 RBIs.

Is that all? I thought more. There's a rumbling around Card Nation that Molina is not setting up to best pitch to Yelich. I don't know about that, but I have to wonder why Shildt pitches to the man at all. IS THERE NO POINT where you say "I give up, walk the guy"?

FYI Lyons, who replaced Bader (ham string) threw his shoulder out last night on that horrendous throw from CF. I don't know WHO will man center tonite, possibly rookie Drew Robinson who seemed afraid to swing his bat last night.

Against the Cardinals so far this season (5 games) Christian Yelich is now 9-for-16 with 7 walks, 7 home runs, and 15 RBIs.

Is that all? I thought more. There's a rumbling around Card Nation that Molina is not setting up to best pitch to Yelich. I don't know about that, but I have to wonder why Shildt pitches to the man at all. IS THERE NO POINT where you say "I give up, walk the guy"?

FYI Lyons, who replaced Bader (ham string) threw his shoulder out last night on that horrendous throw from CF. I don't know WHO will man center tonite, possibly rookie Drew Robinson who seemed afraid to swing his bat last night.

Wasn't it Tyler O'Neill that was out there last night?

I would be surprised if Yelich gets much to hit unless the guys behind him start doing something(anything).

Yelich post-ASB in 2018:

65 G

294 PA

.367/.449/.770

wRC+ 220

11.9 BB%

17.7 K%

BABIP .385

Yelich so far in 2019:

17 G

78 PA

.354/.449/.785

wRC+ 202

14.1 BB%

14.1 K%

BABIP .319

No signs of regression yet. To combat his BABIP regression, he's just hitting even more dingers.

That can't continue.....can it?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I had somewhere earlier today that Yelich has raised his flyball rate from 25% last year to 35% this year. he was a pretty solid groundball hitter with the Marlins, but is moving towards being one of the most prolific flyball hitters in baseball. He's gonna hit 40 homers this year.

Yelich post-ASB in 2018:

65 G

294 PA

.367/.449/.770

wRC+ 220

11.9 BB%

17.7 K%

BABIP .385

Yelich so far in 2019:

17 G

78 PA

.354/.449/.785

wRC+ 202

14.1 BB%

14.1 K%

BABIP .319

That can't continue.....can it?

I'd love it if it did, but I would still take the under on a 202 wRC+ for Yelich this year. If that somehow makes me a pessimist, I guess a pessimist I am.

After 17 games pretty much every hitter is an easy call on whether they will finish over or under their current wRC+...

Cain (105, over) Moose (142, under) Shaw (48, over) Aguilar (33, over) Arcia (58, over but very possibly push, probably the hardest call sadly) Braun (56, over) Grandal (201, under) Gamel (101, push) Thames (84, over) Hernan (116, under) Manny (42, over)

In his interview with the MLB gang last night Yellich commented that he can hit differently at Miller Park than he could before (obvious reference to Miami). The Brewers got him because his power would play better at Miller Park than in the much-more-spacious park the Marlins inhabit. Hitting the fly balls results in more dingers in Milwaukee - they would have been long outs in Miami. This is exactly what the Brewers envisioned and Yellich is capitalizing nicely.

This is exactly what the Brewers envisioned and Yellich is capitalizing nicely.

It took awhile. I remember being pretty disappointed he wasn't doing better despite his AS bid last year. The power really wasn't there until the last two months or so. I was one of the people pretty bullish on him hitting 30+.

Archived