Brewer Fanatic

Christian Yelich

RollieTime

This man deserves his own thread to discuss just how unreal he is.

Since the All-Star break last season, Yelich is hitting .368 with 28 homeruns and 72 RBI in 68 games. He also carries an OBP of .457 in that span.

As this otherworldly “hot stretch” is becoming the new norm for Yelich, can he realistically hit .350 with 50 homeruns and drive in 140 runs in a season? As crazy as it seems, Yelich makes it look more and more realistic everyday.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a quick search it looks like only three seasons in MLB history have cleared the 350/50/140 benchmarks, so while technically possible probably not realistic.

1921 Babe 378/59/168

1927 Babe 356/60/165

1932 Foxx 364/58/169

I thought maybe Bonds would have done that but the closest he came was .328 73 137. Pretty tough to put a trio of huge numbers like that together but with his spring and start I am starting to believe Yelich may be closer to the player of the 2nd half of last year than his previous years. His power seems so effortless, never thought he could be a 40 homer guy when we traded for him. Was thinking last night I still can't believe we actually acquired a player that good with so many years control.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From a quick search it looks like only three seasons in MLB history have cleared the 350/50/140 benchmarks, so while technically possible probably not realistic.

1921 Babe 378/59/168

1927 Babe 356/60/165

1932 Foxx 364/58/169

I get what youre saying...

Yelich has the most pure swing I’ve ever seen. The ball just flies off his bat even though he’s fairly slim.

I found it interesting how Yelich reminds me a little bit of Ken Griffey Jr. with his size, swing, and the way the ball jumps off his bat. Sure enough, they were both 6’3 and 195 pounds. Quite a lofty comparison, but Yelich is the real deal. Those two guys are pretty similar to me. Hopefully Yelich has a few seasons similar to Griffey Jr.’s when he was healthy. If he does, we will be in for a real treat the next few seasons.

1921 Babe 378/59/168

1927 Babe 356/60/165

1932 Foxx 364/58/169

Hack Wilson did it in 1930

.356/56/191

Babe, Gehrig and Foxx all missed a few others barely. Closest post war seasons have been

1956 Mantle .353/52/130

1997 L Walker .366/49/130

"Mr. Christian, oh the time has come!" Hey, I'm a child of the 80s. LOL.

Walk off double to win the game and take three of four from the Cardinals. Oh, my!!! What planet is this guy really from, and can we send a scout to find another just like him???

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Yelich has the most pure swing I’ve ever seen. The ball just flies off his bat even though he’s fairly slim.

I found it interesting how Yelich reminds me a little bit of Ken Griffey Jr. with his size, swing, and the way the ball jumps off his bat. Sure enough, they were both 6’3 and 195 pounds. Quite a lofty comparison, but Yelich is the real deal. Those two guys are pretty similar to me. Hopefully Yelich has a few seasons similar to Griffey Jr.’s when he was healthy. If he does, we will be in for a real treat the next few seasons.

This is spot on. Junior had that skinny waist, high/fat ass thing going too. Similar hitting career arc as well. It took Griffey some time to really come into his home run power but he was always a .300 hitting laser launching demon.

When your swing is that beautiful and you're still getting stronger and more experienced, it would be foolish to put a limit on what you can accomplish. Gotta remember that he arguably wasn't even completely filled out and physically mature when he last wore a Marlins uniform.

Ballpark effects are also pretty significant, lest anyone try to downplay them next time they quote the stats of someone on the Rockies or Padres or any other team with extreme park factors.

Being able to hit LHP's so well says a lot about his pure hitting skills. I disagree that he's the hitter Braun could have been though. Braun was roughly the same all along, from his rookie year until he became so injury-prone. Yelich didn't start as strong, but might have more upside - especially when you consider his willingness to take the base on balls.

Maybe call him the hitter Josh Hamilton could have been without so many off-field issues.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He's Brewer property for the next four seasons (including this one).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yellich is going to have the career that Braun was supposed to have.

Braun has been the best hitter in the history of the franchise. If Yelich puts up 2007-2012 Braun numbers, we'll all be happy with that while he is in Milwaukee.

We have him locked up until he hits 30. Why not just let it play out and let him sign a humongous deal elsewhere when he's headed back down the hill?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We have him locked up until he hits 30. Why not just let it play out and let him sign a humongous deal elsewhere when he's headed back down the hill?

Well right now I am thinking those 31-34 years might be pretty good. But it doesn't make sense for either side right now, the Brewers would need a discount to extend so early and Yelich is already a rich man, he doesn't need the security so much anymore. Maybe he doesn't like how things have went for some other 30ish free agents lately or fears some big change in the labor agreement but I doubt it.

But after his NL and WS MVP's this season the Brewers might want to make him a long term centerpiece. :)

Yelich strikes me at the kind of hitter who, barring injury, would age well.

If the Crew could get him to defer money - and sign a relatively team-friendly deal as Braun did - I think it would be good.

Yelich may be slim but he is very athletically built. 6'3 is a good amount of leverage, which is a lot more useful for launching a ball than brute strength. He's very stringy and built with an abundance of fast-twitch. So he's slim, but not in the same way Carl Edwards Jr. is or something.

I don't see the sense in extending him now. He's what, 27? His value is at an all-time high and I doubt it can get higher. You have four years of control and he is 31 at his next FA period. He can still get hurt or have any number of things go wrong that make him an easier extension down the road.

Sure, you might be able to lock him in long term and end up on top if he continues to be Barry Bonds for four years. We likely have him for the most productive chunk of his career already. He could age well, but these things just aren't guaranteed. It seems unnecessarily risky for the club at this point and more likely not to work out for them than to go well.

Archived