Brewer Fanatic

Two Games In- Your Odd Thoughts

rickh150

Stuff that I probably dwelled on or oddly popped into my head too many times over the first two days of the 2019 Brewers season.

So far, I like Moose better at 3B and Shaw at 2B, especially because it seemed to work well in 2018. I still don't understand the logic in switching them. Sign me up for the switch back.

Grandal drops a lot of balls (and strikes).

Anderson in the rotation and Burnes or Woodruff in the pen makes more sense right now because we all need a safer late inning path in games we are winning. Health and tempers are on the line.

Cain is a walking injury. Too bad I cannot tell what ones are actually legitimate.

The highs of Opening Day compared to a loss after Game 2 are quite different, aren't they?

Obviously the front office has earned my respect - as has CC.

But it's my opinion that we don't have enough pitching. I think we are at least one solid starter short and a reliever as well now that Knebel is done (and who knows about JJ).

In any event, I am concerned about pitching. I liked the scenario where we had 8 or 9 guys who could start - you need more than five over the course of the season and we finally had some quality depth. We're counting on using that depth in the rotation - I don't feel good about what happens when some of the guys don't perform. I thought a guy like Gio or Miley would be a solid, middle of the rotation kind of guy you could count on.

In any event - I hope I'm wrong.

I think that we have just played our second game and to pronounce anything knee jerk would be inappropriate or drunken fodder. I am not drunk and I am a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers. I have waited all winter through the snow, cold, and slush to watch my team. I chose to relax, go to a game or two, and watch David Gruber tell us multiple time throughout the year, "one call, that all". Go Brewers

We've put up 5 runs in both games, against two good starters. Yelich looks like September Yelich already. Some guys have pitched well, some haven't. We've had some memorable moments already; Chacin homering and Cain's game-ending catch.

It's been two games. If there are any issues with the bullpen, I trust that this FO has a plan. I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here's my odd thought ... Freddy Peralta will probably be starting at San Antionio by the end of April. He was pretty horrible, not hitting his spots, and velocity was down. I have hope for him after he looked so good in Spring Training, so I'd like to see him get a few more starts, but at first glance, he isn't ready.

The Brewers have scored just 1 run out of 10 from plays that weren't home runs. And it was a Grandal sac fly. Whether they win or lose, playing that way is terribly boring to me.

Part of that equation is they have 6 extra base hits, and 5 of them are home runs. The only non-HR for extra bases was the Moustakas double.

It’s important to remember they also have faced good pitching thus far. Last year Jack Flaherty held the Brewers to just 4 extra base hits in 91 plate appearances! Miles Mikolas held the Brewers to 10 extra base hits in 101 plate appearances. Through two games this year the Brewers have 5 extra base hits in 41 plate appearance versus those two pitchers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We are the 2012 Brewers. Lots of offense, not enough pitching. Mark is playing us fans like a bunch of suckers. PT Barnum would be proud

Little harsh on Mark A, but just a little. I’ll get to that in a moment.

Starting pitching gonna be ok, our two best starters haven’t even pitched yet in woody and Burnes. Bullpen is a shell of its former playoff self, and that description is being kind. No Soria no knebel no jeffress no woody no Burnes. Really? Some of you call your selfs brewer fans and spout off how our pen should be ok W/O knebel, cause maybe you think jeffress IF he comes back will SAVE this pen. I got some news for you, this pen needs more than the hope of the 2018 first 65 innings jeffress.

Some of you are like last nights umpire, missing whats staring you in the face.

I’ve been told to watch my words around here, to choose carefully, my words so as not to offend some on this board. Ok, I’ll try, but I apologize if I hurt some feelings around here.

Now back to mark A, in MY opinion he’s SLIGHTLY better than the average non Corp owner. Still has NOT bumped payroll to where it NEEDS to be THIS year. I actually BELIEVE the poster who says he knows someone who works for the crew who said only offer made to kimbrel 2 for 20 or 3 for 30. That’s on mark A. If the ONLY offer made to Kimbrel is a non-competitive offer, I’m sorry fans of mark that think he’s a God like figure in this town, he’s keeping this team from solving its major weakness. Poop happens. You make massive profits with a cash cow like the Brewers, and when you have a championship caliber team that has an unforeseen need that arises that’s KEEPING that team from said title, you adjust the budget for 1 year and tell your architect to go ahead and get him signed.

This team is in trouble, and some of you are like last nights ump.

Goldy is going to hit 50 home runs just at miller park

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Some of you are like last nights umpire, missing whats staring you in the face.

I’ve been told to watch my words around here, to choose carefully, my words so as not to offend some on this board. Ok, I’ll try, but I apologize if I hurt some feelings around here.

This team is in trouble, and some of you are like last nights ump.

These type of useless throwaway comments aren’t going to be tolerated on this board. If you continue to make derisive comments or generalizations about other posters you are going to be banned, either temporarily or permanently.

Another poster gave you helpful advice in the Kimbrel thread, and I strongly suggest you heed it going forward.

Edit: What you need to recognize it has nothing to do with “feelings”. Your comments don’t promote a productive dialogue on these boards. The majority of long time posters here have learned to disagree by respectfully countering each other’s opinions rather than making nonsensical insults.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The tripe on here is getting pretty insufferable. It's March, the team is 1-1 and if you took everything out of context you'd think the team is 30-65. I'm not at all Mr. Positive Fan, but I've never seen things get this absurd around here. I'm probably going to take a bit of time off from the place. Anyway, that's my odd thought.

The team is in big trouble and Mark A is PT Barnum. I can't figure out how this is fun for some people.

Goldy is going to hit 50 home runs just at miller park

I know we have a thread on it already but that trade could be as big for them as Yelich was for us. He makes that lineup so much better, that first at bat against Peralta was agonizing, I was just hoping to hold him to a double off the wall.

1-1, no reason to panic. Peralta was sure disappointing though.

My thoughts after two games:

1.) It's only two games

2.) I like the depth of our lineup. We will score a lot of runs.

3.) 2019 Peralta is 2018 Peralta. He will have great games and then he will have games like last night. First inning is still tough for him.

4.) Moose does not look good at second. His footwork and throwing angles from second really need to improve.

5.) With how quickly we pull starters, a dominant bullpen is needed for us to be successful. After Hader, I don't feel comfortable with the other options in the pen protecting a small lead.

6.) Really excited to see Woodruff and Burnes the next two games

7.) We may end April below .500 and that is okay. It's a gauntlet the first month of the season and the NL Central is going to be a grind.

The tripe on here is getting pretty insufferable. It's March, the team is 1-1 and if you took everything out of context you'd think the team is 30-65. I'm not at all Mr. Positive Fan, but I've never seen things get this absurd around here. I'm probably going to take a bit of time off from the place. Anyway, that's my odd thought.

The team is in big trouble and Mark A is PT Barnum. I can't figure out how this is fun for some people.

They've lost a dominant closer and have an All Star setup guy who's velocity is down 6-8 mph. They've chosen to start the year with 3 talented but unproven starters. It's only natural that the fan base is feeling a little uneasy, especially after practically their entire staff couldn't keep the Cardinals off the board. We've seen this act before. What makes anyone expect Barnes and Williams to be anything but the inconsistent guys they've been in the past? Can they afford to keep both Burnes and Woodruff in the rotation? Does anyone really think that if they knew a couple months ago they'd be without Knebel for an entire year and Jeffress would feel the effects of a long season that they wouldn't make a stronger push to keep Miley or sign another veteran starter and leave either Burnes or Woodruff in the pen? Maybe Zach Brown needs to be groomed to relieve this year as did Burnes last year?

Maybe give them, I don't know, two weeks to try some things first?

One guy hit three home runs. One of the best hitters in the league. It's not going to happen every night. If he hits just one, the game is winnable.

Also, if Cain is called safe stealing second, which he was, the trajectory of that game changes completely.

They've lost a dominant closer and have an All Star setup guy who's velocity is down 6-8 mph. They've chosen to start the year with 3 talented but unproven starters. It's only natural that the fan base is feeling a little uneasy, especially after practically their entire staff couldn't keep the Cardinals off the board. We've seen this act before. What makes anyone expect Barnes and Williams to be anything but the inconsistent guys they've been in the past? Can they afford to keep both Burnes and Woodruff in the rotation? Does anyone really think that if they knew a couple months ago they'd be without Knebel for an entire year and Jeffress would feel the effects of a long season that they wouldn't make a stronger push to keep Miley or sign another veteran starter and leave either Burnes or Woodruff in the pen? Maybe Zach Brown needs to be groomed to relieve this year as did Burnes last year?

Well sure because everyone knows you only perform as well as you did the prior year. It's ignorant to assume that because a player wasn't great last year, he won't be good this year. There are going to be unexpected players who make great contributions to this team. Did anyone expect Miley to do what he did last year? How about Aguilar?

Again, its the SECOND game of the year. This team is going to lose 70+ games so everyone needs to accept it. Do we really have to complain about this team after one loss the second game of the year? Damn...

Great take.

Brown would be an immediate upgrade to this pen, and I don’t care about starting his clock or super 2.

You make massive profits with a cash cow like the Brewers,

And you know this, how?? Regardless, he's the owner, he invested in the team, he's supposed to make profits. Largest payroll in Brewers history. Smallest market and they have the 15th highest payroll in MLB (according to roster resource). So, seriously, you are going to complain about the size of their payroll?

Only thought in regards to the first two games. It fairly well known that one of Goldschmidt's few weaknesses is that he has a bit of difficulty catching up to fastballs at 95 and above. Peralta doesn't throw that hard, but both Williams and Barnes do. Williams threw 2 off speed pitches in an 8 pitch at bat, one was a ball and one was hit for a HR. Of the 6 fastballs he threw, 2 were balls, one was a swinging strike and 3 were fouled off. Barnes threw 3 cutters in his 6 pitch AB vs. Goldschmidt. 2 were balls and 1 was a HR. Of the 3 fastballs he threw, one was a called strike, 2 were fouled off. Why are our hard throwing pitchers throwing this guy anything but fastballs?? How does the coaching staff not know that he struggles more with hard fastballs than any other pitch? He feeds on off speed and weak fastballs.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The Brewers have scored just 1 run out of 10 from plays that weren't home runs. And it was a Grandal sac fly. Whether they win or lose, playing that way is terribly boring to me.

Part of that equation is they have 6 extra base hits, and 5 of them are home runs. The only non-HR for extra bases was the Moustakas double.

It’s important to remember they also have faced good pitching thus far. Last year Jack Flaherty held the Brewers to just 4 extra base hits in 91 plate appearances! Miles Mikolas held the Brewers to 10 extra base hits in 101 plate appearances. Through two games this year the Brewers have 5 extra base hits in 41 plate appearance versus those two pitchers.

I think those are fair points, and accurate statements about those pitchers and the first two games.

My complaint is that when runs are scored only by HR, fans lose a lot of the excitement of a ball hit in the gap and deciding to send the runner from first, with a close play at the plate, etc.

3TO baseball is probably more efficient in producing runs, but that doesn't make it more entertaining, at least to me.

Archived