Brewer Fanatic

2019-03-29: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers lose, 9-5 -- Goldschmidt hits 3 HRs]

Eye Black
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m just gonna remind everyone that Peralta is 22 years old. There will be innings like the first for him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

These threads are so easy to skip. If I miss a thread, I've never went back and re-read it, vs other lengthy threads on this board.

By the way, this board has become way more unreadable in the last five years. This isn't the place to say it, but when I joined about 12 years ago, the quality of discussion was way superior. It is what it is. The in-game threads are a microcosm of that.

I wonder if posts like this have anything to do with that?

Definitely possible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Schroeder says "6 innings from your starter is about all you expect *these days*" in a snarky, almost derisive tone. In 1998, the average IP for NL starters per game was 6.1 innings pitched. Six innings has been the standard for more than 20 years.

These threads are so easy to skip. If I miss a thread, I've never went back and re-read it, vs other lengthy threads on this board.

By the way, this board has become way more unreadable in the last five years. This isn't the place to say it, but when I joined about 12 years ago, the quality of discussion was way superior. It is what it is. The in-game threads are a microcosm of that.

Just seem calmer when we suck. Only the diehards hang around in crappy years and those people usually just want to talk baseball.

I think this is the biggest reason.

Schroeder says "6 innings from your starter is about all you expect *these days*" in a snarky, almost derisive tone. In 1998, the average IP for NL starters per game was 6.1 innings pitched. Six innings has been the standard for more than 20 years.

I still remember in about 2010 when BA said on the air that he believed that instant replay had a place in baseball and Schroeder asked him if he was some kind of sadist.

I still remember in about 2010 when BA said on the air that he believed that instant replay had a place in baseball and Schroeder asked him if he was some kind of sadist.

Considering baseball has by far the worst instant replay system in all sports I'd say he was on point in that regard.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bill's a dinosaur. I just spent a little time digging through the stats, and in 1978 (forty years ago!) the average NL starter went 6.4 IP. Bill thinks the game is changing in some major fundamental way, and it's not.

I guess that's what I love about Ueck. Even though he loses track of the in game action at times and really should have a full time in booth partner to call the action, Ueck really seems to enjoy and embrace the subtle changes and modernization of the game. Guys like Schroeder want the game to be the same as it ever was, when really, the changes that have taken place over his lifetime are pretty slight and subtle.

Lack of command doesn't just result in walks. It also results in getting way too much of the plate in favorable counts.

And often results in getting literally zero boardline pitches called in your favor.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived