Brewer Fanatic

2019-03-29: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers lose, 9-5 -- Goldschmidt hits 3 HRs]

Eye Black

Yeah after Hader there isn't anyone I would feel comfortable giving the ball to in a close game. I think until Jeffress gets back we are going to have to rely on outscoring people. Even if the starters are throwing well Couns isn't going to let them go very long this early in the season.

Pitching usually lags hitting this early in the season - pitchers have to get stuff ironed out and hitters are fresh - and Stearns isn't going to react after two games, but I am sure he realizes his pen needs work even if Jeffress comes back strong.

Also, Moose looks pretty bad at second.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with his "get Kimbrel at any price," idea, or some of his takes on what the Brewers should be willing to spend, but tell me where he's wrong?

Knebel goes down, Jeffress has shoulder issues....Burnes and Woodruff are no longer BP options and Soria leaves via free agency.

Tell me, how is him lamenting the need solidify the backend of the BP and do so quickly a "schtick?" It's absolutely, 100 pct valid and IF this team ends up a game or 5 out of the playoffs, It will almost certainly be a result of the bullpen being garbage.

Take a game like tonight. Last year we could very easily have won this. Bring in Knebel instead of Barnes, keep the lead at one, put pressure on the cards, get someone on base and try to push a couple runs across. Granted, that was moreso the end of last year, but that's how the games usually played out. Now, it's Matt Albers, a pitcher who was awful last year, and Josh Hader who pitched 2 innings on opening day so likely won't pitch again in the series.

The need for at least one dominant BP arm and probably two is very real.

It's March 30. March. Not even April. March.

From Adam McCalvy, some irony in the fact Goldschmidt’s hardest hit ball of the night was the lineout against Albers (although some of those foul balls against Freddy may have registered as his best exit velocity if they qualified).

D24CQYcX0AE56BL?format=jpg&name=medium

Goldschmidt now has 11 home runs in 25 career games at Miller Park.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived