Brewer Fanatic

2019-03-29: Cardinals (Flaherty) at Brewers (Peralta) [Brewers lose, 9-5 -- Goldschmidt hits 3 HRs]

Eye Black
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look I wish braun would return to form, but at this point even when heathy it’s debatable who will be better vs. RHP. I would imagine that is what Stearns was thinking when he acquired him no?

no

I guess I live in some weird universe where splits exist and we acquired a good defensive and high obp lefty to fill in for a good, albeit declining players. Carry on.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Goldschmidt getting to play 81 games at Miller Park would give you your 5th player to win MVP. Wish we had made that move.

No kidding.

Have to think they just didn't want to invest something like 5/130 in him and didn't want to give up much for a 1 year rental.

Especially when they've got a pretty good young 1st basemen whom they control for the next 5 years.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I know someone said the opposite earlier but I will disagree, the Cardinals bullpen is their weakness at least to start the year. Martinez is hurt, Reyes hasn't show anything yet and Hicks walks everyone he faces. I like our odds the longer this game goes. Also Moustakas is better than Shaw at 2B regardless of how things have gone today, he moves better and he rotates better on throws. It may be an iffy move but making Shaw the 2B doesn't make it any better.

How on EARTH are we making this declaration right now?

I don't agree that he moves better than Shaw...but you're talking about poor defense at 2nd either way.

I think if you actually read my post you would see that I agree with you. You can make a strong case that playing either of them at 2B is a mistake and I get it, but there really is no case to suggest that Shaw is somehow way ahead of Moustakas at the position.

I wonder how many times we will say "I miss Derek Johnson" this season.

It was already said earlier in the thread when it was implied that Hook (who coached all our young pitchers in the minors) isn't a real pitching coach.

Goldschmidt getting to play 81 games at Miller Park would give you your 5th player to win MVP. Wish we had made that move.

Have to think they just didn't want to invest something like 5/130 in him and didn't want to give up much for a 1 year rental.

Especially when they've got a pretty good young 1st basemen whom they control for the next 5 years.

Wouldn’t shock me to see their OPS at about a 200 point difference. Goldschmidt is a game changer. Oh well. What could have been.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Great, now we get miller hicks Reyes not necessarily in that order. Ave FB 100

You named one good pitcher in here and he wasn't even good last season.

It's funny what we can talk ourselves into if we really want to. If we had a 22 year old with Hicks stuff, a 24 year old with Reyes stuff and then basically an older Hader type pitcher, I think we'd feel pretty good.

But on the Cards there not good pitchers.

Very few 21 year old pitchers who throw over 100 are completely polished..and Hicks wasn't last year. That trio is still a pretty intimidating trio.

Hicks might just break the radar gun. Hader throws hard; Hicks throws flames.

Over his last 8.1 innings pitched on a professional mound Andrew Miller has given up 13 hits, 6 walks, and 7 ER (and an OPS north of .900). A minuscule sample size obviously, but also far from invincible.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Wouldn’t shock me to see their OPS at about a 200 point difference. Goldschmidt is a game changer. Oh well. What could have been.

Well, he's obviously not on the same level as one of the games best players, I'm just saying you have to pick and choose where you're going to invest your resources. They likely didn't look at 1B as a position that they needed to upgrade.

Hicks might just break the radar gun. Hader throws hard; Hicks throws flames.

There is more to pitching than just speed. Hicks walked 40 guys in 77 IP, and his ERA was 3.59 which is not even good for a relief pitcher. Dan Jennings and Jacob Barnes were both better than that last year

That isn't a fact.

You're right. They only control him for 4 more years. My mistake.

Well, he's obviously not on the same level as one of the games best players, I'm just saying you have to pick and choose where you're going to invest your resources. They likely didn't look at 1B as a position that they needed to upgrade.

I'd have made the trade and signed the extension for Goldy 100 times out of 100. Not even a question. Imagine him and Yelich hitting back to back.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

That isn't a fact.

You're right. They only control him for 4 more years. My mistake.

Among others.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It's funny what we can talk ourselves into if we really want to. If we had a 22 year old with Hicks stuff, a 24 year old with Reyes stuff and then basically an older Hader type pitcher, I think we'd feel pretty good.

But on the Cards there not good pitchers.

Very few 21 year old pitchers who throw over 100 are completely polished..and Hicks wasn't last year. That trio is still a pretty intimidating trio.

Hicks gave up over a .300 AVG on his fastball last season, it is really hittable. He walked almost a batter per inning in spring. Reyes has been nothing but injured in his career. Sorry I'm not as shallow as you want to just randomly assume I am, I judge players on what they have actually done. Long term sure they will probably both be really good hitters but I was talking about now, right now neither of these guys are someone you need to fear as being unhittable.

Archived